Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Painting a carbon frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Painting a carbon frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 10:11 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Painting a carbon frame

I recently acquired a Ridley X-Fire that is a bit too big for me though that doesn’t stop me from enjoying it ! I’m on the verge of purchasing another X-Fire frame that is the same year but smaller. I’m considering having it painted before switching the parts over but wondering if painting carbon requires any specific technique or materials? I would have it done by a pro shop, no rattle cans in the garage on this one.
Old 03-30-20, 10:39 AM
katyjcrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It usually involves hand sanding the existing paint, which is a extra cost. You can’t sand blast or use chemical strippers on carbon.
Old 03-30-20, 11:08 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I'm sure a custom motorcycle shop is well experienced in carbon fiber painting. A lot more elbow grease goes into it than your basic metal powder coating job.

So let's just ballpark. If powder coating is $100-$150 including the prep, and painting is easily twice the work, you're looking at $200-$300.

Too bad the schools are shut down right now. This would be a perfect job for a kid in an auto body class.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-30-20, 11:17 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
There isn't anything special about painting carbon fiber VS. aluminum, steel, etc.

As mentioned prior, no course abrasive blast or chemical prep.
Old 03-30-20, 12:19 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
There isn't anything special about painting carbon fiber VS. aluminum, steel, etc.

As mentioned prior, no course abrasive blast or chemical prep.
So you end up getting elbow tendonitis with 400grit in hand. That was the point of my post.

If I got a new Motobecane or something like that, I would certainly paint it.

400 grit wet sand prep, rattle can primer, 400grit smooth, top coat X3 or 4. Dry a week. 2000 grit then 3000 grit then polishing compound. Clean with alcohol then apply decals. It won't be very durable for several months. It will look pretty good but won't be perfect.

I think it's only worth it if you have time and do it by hand. Or it's very important to you for a show quality frame.
Old 03-30-20, 01:15 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Check out ETOE on YouTube.
Old 03-30-20, 02:19 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
There is a YouTube channel called E to E designs that shows many custom paint jobs on carbon fiber frames. He has a few how to's in terms of body prep and priming and how to do it with spray cans. I highly recommend watching these first because 1) he's entertaining to watch and 2) there's a lot of good advice. For example he highly recommends you don't use any solvents to remove paint as it could damage the resin holding the carbon layup together. It seems from watching his videos that it's within the DIY'ers realm to be able to do a good job. If you have an air compressor and a spray gun (air-brush and a regular gun) you would be able to get better results than out of a can but honestly what he shows using spray cans is pretty impressive. Be patient and good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-...2IbTmNComCIZtw
Old 03-30-20, 03:04 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I would have it done by a pro shop, no rattle cans in the garage on this one.
Any pro shop will have their standard procedures which won't be anything special other than the care taken, you won't get a pro for $200 or $300. The least expensive is going to be slightly North of that, maybe $350 if you don't want anything special. Big time guys will start at twice that and go up very fast for anything special but they do amazing work.