Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yelling from the passenger seat

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Yelling from the passenger seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 11:15 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
just smile like an idiot, and wave, saying "hey bob! see you at the lodge friday!!"

wle
Likes For wle:
Old 03-30-20, 11:25 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I usually go home, get in my car, and drive around until I see a cyclist and yell at him or her. Always makes me feel better.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-30-20, 11:38 AM
MilfordJohn

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Saga, Bike Friday NWT, Specialized Roubaix SL4, Brompton P6R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If I told you that I strictly observed STOP signs, I would be lying. However, I recognize that they exist for a purpose, so whenever I come to a STOP sign in the country, I slow down, downshift and prepare to stop. If everything is clear, then I go through without clipping out. I think you are crazy to go through a STOP sign at full speed. My motto is, "unpredictable behavior on a bike will get you killed."

Having said that, I must report an opposite experience that most of you must have had. Coming to a rural T-intersection, I took the middle of the lane to make a left turn, holding my arm out to signal the turn. I came to a complete stop because a car was crossing the "T". A woman driving a large pickup pulled up to me after my turn saying "why the f**k did you have to block my way, you mother-f***er!" She then drove off and turned into a driveway about 200 yards down the road. I was steamed, but in rural Virginia flipping the bird or shouting obscenities can be life-shortening, so my custom is to look straight ahead and keep pedaling.

I go along with those on this thread who are of a philosophical bent. Why get upset at a person in a car who is behaving like a jackass? Life's too short.
Old 03-30-20, 11:41 AM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This ruined your ride? Sheesh.

A couple months ago, as I was coming back into town after a long ride, an old minivan passed me - a dude leaned out of the passenger window and yelled "F--K you, you f---ing f----t!"

Actually, that didn't even ruin my ride. I really wanted to catch up and ask the guy how he can determine someone's sexual orientation just by glancing out of a passing car. That's some talent. I also wanted to give him a long, tight hug, and maybe a wet kiss. I think he needed it. I think he wanted it.
It didn't ruin my ride to a great extent, but it did anger me at the moment which altered my mood at the time. I just think that she should have kept her thoughts to herself. Yes I was wrong, but it's not up to her to tell me so. I am not a child. I see a lot of people doing things that I don't agree with, but I don't tell them....I keep my thoughts to myself. I've learned this from 46 years married to the same woman.
Old 03-30-20, 11:44 AM
biketube guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cyclists should behave the same as cars when it comes to traffic laws. That is to say, around here anyway, roll through every stop sign and don't bother signaling turns. Car drivers have absolutely no right to criticize cyclists for rolling through stop signs.
Likes For biketube guy:
Old 03-30-20, 11:52 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
If someone does something unlawful and stupid, does that make it OK for you to act the same way? I'm a cyclsit, and I've yelled at cyclist while driving or riding when they do something really dumb . The OP does not have a clue whether the person in the passenger seat was a cyclist or not.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-30-20 at 01:58 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 03-30-20, 12:09 PM
rgppgr

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Actions can have consequences.
Amen brother.
Old 03-30-20, 12:10 PM
mud711

Bikes: Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Robaix SL4 Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now that this topic has been put through the ringer, hashed, overly analyzed or just cooked to extremes. Let us now get to the most important questions of the day. What is the best chain lube or which saddle is most comfortable.
Likes For mud711:
Old 03-30-20, 12:48 PM
1joel1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've been hit several times by cars, as a cyclist, motorcyclists, pedestrian and driver. The most dangerous place by far is an intersection. I've been rear-ended many times, usually at slow speed. But even a slow speed bump on a bike can result in serious injuries.
Maybe you're doing something wrong???
Old 03-30-20, 12:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mud711
Now that this topic has been put through the ringer, hashed, overly analyzed or just cooked to extremes. Let us now get to the most important questions of the day. What is the best chain lube or which saddle is most comfortable.

Just curious--how is THAT your 4th post in 7 years?
Old 03-30-20, 01:10 PM
rgppgr

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Or why does my bottom bracket shell have a weld running the width of it? It's Italian. I can't see anything that makes me think it was repaired.
Old 03-30-20, 02:03 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Sometimes the best response is no response.
Sometimes the *safest* response is no response. You never know who that person might be, what might set off their rage, what they might have in their car or what they might do with it (the car and/or what's in it).
Old 03-30-20, 03:20 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
If someone does something unlawful and stupid, does that make it OK for you to act the same way? I'm a cyclsit, and I've yelled at cyclist while driving or riding when they do something really dumb . The OP does not have a clue whether the person in the passenger seat was a cyclist or not.
Whether the person in the passenger seat was a cyclist or not, doesn't matter. I wouldn't yell at anyone unless they have put my safety at risk. Blowing through a stop sign when there are no cars in sight (except one approaching 400 meters from behind) is not dumb and puts no one at risk. It is only breaking the law to which fines are applicable by law enforcement....not civilians yelling, including cyclists.
Old 03-30-20, 04:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Stress reduces the immune system. I think that especialy at this time but at any time it helps to remember a few lines from the Serenity Prayer. (NOT getting into religion here!)

"God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference."

We can't change chance encounters with people's actions so let's just accept them and live with a lot less stress in our lives. We might even be able to stress behind and not bring it home with us.

Cheers

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-30-20, 06:28 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
Was I wrong for not stopping when there are no vehicles in sight, or was she wrong for telling me that I am supposed to?
Both of you are wrong. You for breaking the law. Her for being a jerk.
Old 03-30-20, 06:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by 1joel1
Maybe you're doing something wrong???
You mean, besides stopping conventionally and legally at a stop sign or red light?

I used to do a lot of driving on the job, including across the US. Drive enough miles and you'll get a pretty good sampling of terrible drivers. Eventually some inattentive idiot will tap your bumper. No big deal in a metal cocoon. But much more dangerous for folks on two wheels.

Or walking. The widespread shift to right-on-red and left on flashing yellow after yield has greatly increased the hazards for pedestrians and cyclists. Reported incidents with injuries and deaths are significantly worse now in some regions, especially Florida. Many incidents are never recorded or reported, due in part to the death of the local daily newspaper.

Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-30-20, 07:20 PM
Oldbikeride

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yelling out window

One can't control what others say or do. We can only control how we react.
Old 04-01-20, 09:17 AM
Huszi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shouldn’t be yelling though!!
Old 04-01-20, 09:27 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Was I wrong for not stopping ...
Illegal.

...or was she wrong for telling me that I am supposed to?
Not illegal.
Old 04-01-20, 09:39 AM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Stress reduces the immune system. I think that especialy at this time but at any time it helps to remember a few lines from the Serenity Prayer. (NOT getting into religion here!)

"God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference."

We can't change chance encounters with people's actions so let's just accept them and live with a lot less stress in our lives. We might even be able to stress behind and not bring it home with us.

Cheers

Cheers
Something we all tend to lose sight of at times. You can't change, control or otherwise influence people to behave the way you might want them to (or even have them like you). Best to count to 3 before giving any kind of response, and then, hopefully realize that you may have made a mistake, think about correcting it the next time, and not letting someone who tries to control you get the satisfaction of believing they just did. Make your day to be the way you want it, not the way someone else thinks it should be

Cheers.....

Last edited by stephr1; 04-21-20 at 07:31 AM.
Likes For stephr1:
Old 04-01-20, 08:14 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I tend to think to myself that ... they would treat stop signs the same as many of us do.
You know that it's rare for a car driver to come to a *complete* stop. Anyone who claims otherwise is a hypocrite. Ignore the cranks.
I'm looking forward to more states adopting the "Idaho Stop" for bikes. Meanwhile, if there's no cross traffic I will roll through a stop sign (NB: *ROLL*, not *blast*).
Old 04-02-20, 03:01 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Because people suck when they feel protected from consequences.

Outside those metal cocoons, suddenly that superpower courage evaporates.
cagebullys
Old 04-02-20, 05:06 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I am very cautious when riding, and predominantly obey traffic rules. The other day on my way back from a 50 miler I was at cruising speed and didn't stop at a stop sign. It was at a 4 way stop intersection and there were no vehicles in sight. Ten seconds later a vehicle passes and the passenger sticks her head out the window and yells "Your supposed to stop at the stop sign". I was about 6 miles from finishing an enjoyable ride when this ruined it....why is she interfering with my ride when I didn't interfere with her driving (her car was no where near me when I blew the stop sign). If there ever was a time for me to pedal 50mph, this was it.....I wanted so badly to catch up with the car and tell her to mind her business. Was I wrong for not stopping when there are no vehicles in sight, or was she wrong for telling me that I am supposed to?
i get the frustration. Happens to me about once a month. Not necessarily following a “rolling stop” but because i’m on a bike on a road made specifically for autos (or so some drivers think). In my younger days, i loved chasing after rude drivers. Even caught a couple, only to spend the rest of my ride looking over my shoulder after we shared an “uncomfortable greeting”. I don’t understand the need for some auto drivers to be the highway nanny especially with regard to bike riders (even if the auto drivers are simply wrong), but it’s the world we live in.

my advice, simply smile and ride on and be thankful the half wit driver will soon be home beating her illegitimate children. ;-)
Old 04-12-20, 02:25 PM
mud711

Bikes: Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Robaix SL4 Expert

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have no idea....I've been a follower of this forum for more than seven. It could be that I have registered under a different name not aware of duplicity.
Old 04-12-20, 02:40 PM
zenmonkey
banana ying yang

Bikes: SC Blur & a Lapierre

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Just curious--how is THAT your 4th post in 7 years?
Some of us hung out in other places more.... (9 posts in 16 years...)
Likes For zenmonkey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.