Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cracked and shredded axle replacements

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 04:20 PM
CaptainJack00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone is dealing the best they can through this quarantine. After three weeks locked up, I've found that spending as much time as possible isolated on the balcony leads to a harmonious relationship with my better half.

I am trying to fix some of the bikes I have and would like to start by replacing the front axle on my 1980s Giant road bike and the rear axle on a Torino. The Giant I have ridden regularly for years but the nuts tend to loosen up causing the wheel to shake a bit. I always just took a 16 wrench and tighten it, but it is not a perfect solution. I finally took it apart and see that things aren't in great shape. I think I am missing washers/nuts/seels/etc on the axle, and I think one of the ball bearings were missing.
I cleaned it all up with diesel fuel today and attach a picture. I suppose I need to find a replacement piece but don't know sizes.

The other bike was given to me. It has some charm to it and I would like to fix it. The rear axle cracked through. Again, I don't know how to find an identical or even adequate replacement.

Thank you for any suggestions and hints to get me going.

~Picture link in my profile~

Last edited by CaptainJack00; 03-27-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 06:47 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Pic assist:

The rear axle is broken (as I'm sure you realized); replacements should be readily available. If the bike shops are still open in your area, take the shards in to match up.

The front axle looks badly worn and damaged and ought to be replaced as well. That type of damage is a result of extensive riding with poorly adjusted bearing.

On-line vendors such as Wheels Mfg. sell complete axle sets (axle, cone spacers, locknuts), but before sending your money, check the cups inside the hub for wear and/or damage. The condition of those axles does not bode well for the condition of the cups. If the cups are pitted or cracked, your most cost-effective option is replacing the entire wheel. If your tires are in decent condition, those could be transferred to the new wheel.
Old 03-28-20, 06:55 AM
CaptainJack00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply and for adding the pics. I'm sure I will get to my 10 minimum quota quickly but in the meantime its nice of you to assist.

Okay, thanks for the link. Seems like often its easier to find a whole wheel instead of finding the perfect parts (which may be costlier).
Old 03-28-20, 11:05 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
In normal times, co-ops are a great place to get replacement axles, cones, bearings, etc. like yours, and they would have the appropriate cone wrenches to put everything together properly. If there's a co-op in your area, check and see if they're doing any appointment repairs or parts sales. If not, I would try getting the cones and nuts off of the broken/mangled axles before ordering anything so you know exactly what you need to order. Matching the axles correctly should be relatively easy based on length, but matching the cones exactly is harder. The cones on your front axle both look trashed. The rear ones might be okay, but it's hard to tell from the pics.
Old 03-30-20, 04:35 AM
CaptainJack00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi AeroGut, Hi Everyone,

I think the best would be get a new front wheel, since all stores are closed in Germany at the moment anyway, and I seem to have a few good options. Would anyone here be so kind as to take a look at these and tell me their thoughts? I am not sure what will fit and not on the Giant... Is this a standard size? I guess the best would be to bring the bike and check, but I can also probably measure the width between the forks to line it up?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Again, links in profile, since I am not able to post them (yet).
Old 03-31-20, 07:18 AM
CaptainJack00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic MA2 with a Gipiemme Hub? First link in profile... riding over there shortly to pick it up, so please let me know if I am missing something. Thanks
Old 04-01-20, 11:14 AM
CaptainJack00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the Mavic. Fits wonderfully.