Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

The HydraPouch (cup free racing)

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 09:57 AM
sirious94

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This weekend at Full Vineman (which I am volunteering for) the race directors decided to have cup free racing. To the great annoyance of everybody racing, they announced this two weeks before the event, and so after much hate mail, they decided to have cups until 7:00 PM. (sorry everybody who takes longer than that to finish)

For those of you who don't know what it is this link will show the company they will be using.

now, the Hydra Pouch and the filling system are actually decent ideas, particularly for runners who don't like spilling water. But for triathletes, I would think that most of us like to cool off at aid stations, by taking a couple of cups and dumping one over our heads. This can be done, but you will have to stop to fill it up twice. Also the race only gives you one, so if you drop it, bye bye drinking on the run. If you want to have both Gatorade and water, good luck getting the taste out.
Also, anybody who does not like a bouncy water bottle on them during the whole race (like people who hate fuelbelts) just could not stand to use it, and forcing athletes who paid $300-400 for an IM distance triathlon is just not the greatest policy.

Now for people who have fuelbelts, or like having time to drink, sure great idea, the filling system would even be great for the volunteers, but should it be the only option? Not at all.

anyway enough ranting, good luck to anyone who is doing the race. And any thoughts? good idea or bad? do you agree with me? just wondering...
Old 07-29-10, 10:19 AM
SourDieseL
been around the block

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone - Felt F3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what genius thought of charging $13.95 for a rubber pouch like drinking medium, instant value!
Old 07-29-10, 10:53 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yikes, that is a mess. They would be better off handing out bottles of water so that people can bypass a station of two if they don't consume so much. I did the half last year and as hot as it was, those stations went through some cups. I carried a handheld and stopped at every station for ice because I drank about 18 ounces of water in between stations.
Old 07-29-10, 11:19 AM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SourDieseL
what genius thought of charging $13.95 for a rubber pouch like drinking medium, instant value!
They do give them to the racers at packet pickup for free, but that is also the day before the race, and everybody knows not to try something new race day.
Old 07-30-10, 10:50 AM
caelric
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Bikes: Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a good thought, but it was a bit late in the game. For me, it doesn't matter, as I am carrying a hand held bottle. Having the cups of water at the aid staions to throw on my head is nice, but I acheive the same effect by putting ice in my running hat, and letting it melt.

Either way, thanks for volunteering, I will be running the course tomorrow, without volunteers, we could not do this!
Old 07-31-10, 08:41 PM
Bill

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am glad I read the posts. I kept thinking when I saw the OP: Who the heck wears a cup when he races in a tri?