Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on entry level road bike purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 08:28 PM
murraygd13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking at purchasing a road bike for the upcoming biking season. The main use of the bike would be for shorter rides (<10 miles) but would like to be able to do 50+ mile rides that I currently can't do easily with my Specialized Rockhopper MTB. I plan on being able to spend between $2000-$3000 on the bike and would like a carbon frame. Any advice or suggestion on the best bike I can get for that price considering what my main usage would be? I have been looking at a Specialized Roubiax and a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 01-05-10, 08:58 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not sure how you feel about internet vs. LBS purchases, but if you can do some of your own wrenching, this is hard to beat for value:

https://www.neuvationcycling.com/product142.html

I purchased a Neuvation alloy full Ultegra 6700 build about four months ago, and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-05-10, 10:04 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Not sure how you feel about internet vs. LBS purchases, but if you can do some of your own wrenching, this is hard to beat for value:

https://www.neuvationcycling.com/product142.html

I purchased a Neuvation alloy full Ultegra 6700 build about four months ago, and couldn't be happier.

Is the alloy frame as ugly in real life as it looks online? I'd be all over their bikes if it weren't for that hideous looking design. A downtube thicker than my thighs with a steel thin top tube and seat tube. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating...a little. But still...
Old 01-05-10, 10:54 PM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can get a lot of bike for 3k. you could get like 4 entry level bikes i was in the same boat you're in an went with the roubaix expert. got an 09 for way cheap (cheaper than the bike linked above and full Ultegra SL). love the bike. If you want a flashy smooth dependable bike it's had to beat Specialized. Also, if you don't plan on doing more than 50 miles consider the tarmac maybe.
Old 01-05-10, 10:59 PM
FR4NCH1SE

Bikes: 2009 GMC DENALI (walmart bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude you have the money to get top of the line equipment with all your requirements from bikesdirect.com

I think its called Kestrel or something along those lines, they have a fully carbon and fully dura ace bike for around 2999 or something. Its the best NEW bike you will afford for your money. Notice the NEW part, you can get something similar for 2999 on ebay but it will be USED and you might not want to go that route with that amount of money.
Old 01-05-10, 11:20 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
$2-3k gets you a lot of nice bikes.... try and see what you like. As it is your first road bike, you might want to buy at an LBS and get properly fitted (MTB sizing and positioning will be quite different from road positioning - I like my MTBs a size larger and road bikes a touch smaller, for example).

V.
Old 01-05-10, 11:34 PM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Are you good at working on and maintaining your bike? If so, an online purchase as suggested would work fine for you. Otherwise, buy from a bike shop so you have their expertise and free tune-up or whatever their service offer happens to be.
Old 01-05-10, 11:34 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FR4NCH1SE
Dude you have the money to get top of the line equipment with all your requirements from bikesdirect.com

I think its called Kestrel or something along those lines, they have a fully carbon and fully dura ace bike for around 2999 or something. Its the best NEW bike you will afford for your money. Notice the NEW part, you can get something similar for 2999 on ebay but it will be USED and you might not want to go that route with that amount of money.
Try this ... a very nice ride ...

Shimano Dura Ace 7900, 20 Speed Road 2009 Kestrel RT800 Carbon $2995.99
2009 Shimano Dura Ace 7900 Group, Kestrel Carbon Bar, FSA Stem, Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheels

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...l/rt800_09.htm

Old 01-05-10, 11:46 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Damn, if I had that much scratch to drop on a bike, well, I don't know what I'd be doing. For sub-10 mile rides and the occasional 50 mile ride, you can get something solid for less than $1,000 and let the rest compound interest in your BF Schwag account. $2,000-$3,000 seems like overkill unless you also plan on getting into racing.
Old 01-06-10, 07:45 AM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as long as we are talking bikesdirect...
I really like their titanium hardtail. with lockout front suspentsion and 20 lbs you should be able to knock out everything you want to do and ride on any terrain to boot. And you'd still have 1500$ to spend on a carbon road bike
Old 01-06-10, 08:32 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Advice...

1: Get fitted
2: Test ride several bikes that fit
3: Decide which bike was most comfortable (saddles can be replaced, so don't let this be the deciding factor)
4: Don't neglect gear. If you don't have good riding shorts and shoes, budget for those. Also, think about a new saddle if you don't like the stock one.
5: Decide which style you like best
6: Make purchase from LBS and build a rapport with them
Old 01-06-10, 08:44 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by silversx80
Advice...

3: Decide which bike was most comfortable (saddles can be replaced, so don't let this be the deciding factor)
4: Don't neglect gear. If you don't have good riding shorts and shoes, budget for those. Also, think about a new saddle if you don't like the stock one.

This advice could save you the most in the long run. Fit is more important than how much you spend. If it ends up not fitting well it will end up either not being used or up for sale.

Find a few shops... Try and as many as you can...
Old 01-06-10, 10:10 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
With that kind of coin to drop and this being your first bicycle, I think you ought to visit as many bike shops and ride as many bikes as you can.

ETA: In your price range, ain't none of it junk.
Old 01-06-10, 05:17 PM
murraygd13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lbs

Originally Posted by probe1957
With that kind of coin to drop and this being your first bicycle, I think you ought to visit as many bike shops and ride as many bikes as you can.

ETA: In your price range, ain't none of it junk.

The local bike shop that I prefer carries Specialized and Cannondale.

What kind of ride should I expect from an alloy bike compared to a carbon frame bike? I'm guessing alot depends on the fork but would like a comfortable ride. I'll probably go with a Specialized just a matter of going with an Allez, Roubiax or Tarmac.
Old 01-07-10, 02:08 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
A decent bike shop will let you take bikes out for a lengthy test ride. Mine will let me take a bike for a weekend, for example. That's what you need to do, imho. A ride around the parking lot won't tell you a damned thing.
Old 01-08-10, 02:34 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by murraygd13
I am looking at purchasing a road bike for the upcoming biking season. The main use of the bike would be for shorter rides (<10 miles) but would like to be able to do 50+ mile rides that I currently can't do easily with my Specialized Rockhopper MTB. I plan on being able to spend between $2000-$3000 on the bike and would like a carbon frame. Any advice or suggestion on the best bike I can get for that price considering what my main usage would be? I have been looking at a Specialized Roubiax and a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5. Thank you in advance for any advice.
The Roubiax is a great bike, I've got some time on one, very smooth and comfy.
Old 01-08-10, 09:07 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
For 10 mile rides and the occasional 50 mile ride, practically any bike (including your current rockhopper) would do the trick, although some additional rider fitness might be in order.

My suggestion: Get an $800 road bike, which should do everything you asked. Ride it. Either you'll get tired of it and quit riding, in which case, you will have saved $2,200. Or it'll work just fine and you'll ride exactly like what you described, and you will have saved $2,200. Or you'll find you really like road biking, ride a bunch more, and eventually feel the need to upgrade- and then you can buy a $2,200 bike with what's left over.

If you go in a bike store with a $3,000 budget and very limited knowledge, they will sell you a $3,000 bike, but it may be the bike they want to move off the floor, not the bike you want to own, if that makes sense.

For those distances, various comfort and hybrid bikes would work fine, too, so don't be afraid to compare the ride.
Old 01-08-10, 09:39 AM
SourDieseL
been around the block

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone - Felt F3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i manage to pick up a Felt F3SL w/SRAM Red for about 2800.
Old 01-08-10, 04:15 PM
rschleicher
Retro-guy

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The two bikes you mentioned were among the bikes that I also looked at. I ended up getting a 2010 Scott CR1 Team (list is $2199, I think, but I paid $1999).

The reason for mentioning the year is that the 2010 CR1 is actually quite a bit different in intent than the prior year CR1. The CR1 used to be Scott's top end racing frame, until they came out with the Addict. But the new CR1 is intended more at the "performance" market, with a somewhat more relaxed geometry, plus more vertical compliance for comfort, dampening, etc. But it is still a very light frame, not that much "toned down" from the Addict.

I would say it is a bit less comfort oriented than either the Roubaix or the Synapse - more like halfway between a comfort/plush bike and a more racing bike.

The Team model is basically all 105, including brakes and crank. There is a lower-priced version that has a blend of 105 and Tiagra, a more expensive version with SRAM Rival and better wheels, an Ultegra version above that, and a Dura Ace version above that. As far as I can tell, it is the same frame on all equipment levels, although perhaps there are slight differences in the frame (besides the paint colors).

For a not-too expensive bike the frame/fork has some fairly high-end aspects, including carbon drop-outs, carbon steerer, integrated BB, etc.

The quoted weight for my Team (105) version (in whatever average size they base the weight quotes on) is 17.5 lbs. The Rival and Ultegra versions are roughly 16 lbs, and the DA version is under 15. (With the weight differences being due to both lighter gruppo as well as lighter wheels on the pricier vesions.)

I haven't had it very long, but love it so far, especially going uphill! (As well as a nice ride.)

Something to consider, anyway.
Old 01-08-10, 04:59 PM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Coming from a mtb, I'd go for something more aggressive than the Roubaix - I was in the same position as you a few years ago and I thought the Roubaix (back then anyway) was a bit sit-up-and-beg... mind you most things are after an S-Works Stumpy!

I have a Cannondale CAAD8, so I'd vote for a Cannondale Six 105 Carbon, here:

https://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/10/CE/model-0RSX2C.html

My tastes have become a bit more retro, but this looks a great road bike to get you into the joys of tarmac.
Old 01-08-10, 05:22 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Advice...

Silver knows what he is talking about. This is great advice. The only thing I would take exception to is #6, and that only applies to someone who can do or otherwise get a fitting and do adjustments outside of an LBS.
Old 01-08-10, 06:37 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
Silver knows what he is talking about. This is great advice. The only thing I would take exception to is #6, and that only applies to someone who can do or otherwise get a fitting and do adjustments outside of an LBS.
I'd say make room in your budget for a new saddle anyway. Because if you wind up riding the new bike a lot, the saddle that felt perfectly fine for a weekend or perhaps longer may very well turn out to have issues with your nether regions a few weeks or months down the road.
Old 01-08-10, 07:06 PM
Pilsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice...

1. Why?
2. Yes
3. Of course
4. Get the bike first
5. ??
6. You owe them, as much as they owe you.
Old 01-09-10, 08:38 AM
slowashell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For that price range you have many great options that you won't outgrow. For under $2000 Look has some great bikes with Ultegra, Colorado Cyclist sells a house brand called Douglas with full DuraAce, and of course, the dreaded Bikes Direct has nice deals on Kestrel bikes with full DuraAce. Buy one of these and you'll have money left for a nice set of light wheels, pedals, etc.

Personally, I find $3k a weak price point as you'll get all you need for $2k.
Old 01-11-10, 03:43 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by murraygd13
Any advice or suggestion on the best bike I can get for that price considering what my main usage would be? I have been looking at a Specialized Roubiax and a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Lots of good advice here, but given your budget, your question is more about 'want' than 'need'.

For your needs, get a used $500.00 hybrid, but you've answered your own question about what you REALLY want; Roubaix or Synapse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.