Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Two-Way Street--A letter to the editor of our local paper

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 06:56 AM
Lauraspark
Flatlander

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This letter was published last week in our local paper. I don't know anything about the incident the letter refers to, but imagine there was some sort of bike related accident. I'm thinking about writing a response, but would like to get your reactions.

"To the Editor:

I am a five-year resident of Boiling Spring Lakes and live on one of the two major thoroughfares in our city--Fifty Lakes Drive and Boiling Spring Road. I know the person who was driving the vehicle that passed (Gretchen Moore's) bicycle on the road. He told me he blew his horn to let the cicyclist know he was passing, then was surprised at what transpired next.

I did not witness the incident and cannot comment on that.

My comment is that people come to our community from one of the larger cities and think that things should be the same as where they are from.

Most major thoroughfares in these places have paved shoulders or bike paths. We have two lanes and no shoulders, so riding on our roads should alert bicyclists that going half the speed limit will create back-ups and the possibility of someone getting road rage.

Bikers may have the same rights as motor vehicles, but they also need to have common courtesy as to not impede traffic."

What do y'all think?
Old 05-24-10, 07:25 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In many states, the "impeding traffic" statute applies only to motor vehicles, not human- or animal-powered vehicles, which have an equal right to use the road. As a corollary to that, the posted speed limit is a maximum limit, not a requirement that you have to be going that speed or a little bit more in order to use that stretch of roadway.

Sadly, everyone still believes in the tyranny of speed. That's a presumption that a bicyclist should never be in the way of a motorist, not even for a few seconds.

American traffic law, which embody everyone's right to use our roadways, embodies the principle of "right-of-way." Right-of-way is a “first come, first served” principle, where if you’re oper­ating a vehicle on a road, your right to continue on that road safely supersedes an overtaking vehicle operator’s right to pass you. That operator can only pass you when it’s safe to do so.
Old 05-24-10, 07:33 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think maybe the writer is married to a horn-blowing road rager unable to tell the difference between speed limit and minimum speed.
Old 05-24-10, 07:35 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
People should realize that blowing their horn does not excuse them from the responsibility to wait until they can pass safely.
Old 05-24-10, 08:59 AM
Minstrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Classic blame the victim stance. It's not the person with road rage who is at fault, it's the cyclist's fault. They should have known that existing would cause road rage. They were asking for it.

As for the comment that cyclists should get out of the way and not impede traffic, I'm not sure how a cyclist would be expected to do that on a road with no shoulder. Are they to stop and climb into the weeds? Cyclists are slow and easy to pass in any location that it would be safe to pass any other vehicle, and in some places where it would would not be safe to pass a slow car.
Old 05-24-10, 10:04 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did transpire next?
Is there a link?
Old 05-24-10, 10:13 AM
Lauraspark
Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
What did transpire next?
Is there a link?
Not sure, CC--the letter was in the paper Wednesday, May 19; I had not heard anything about the incident before the letter appeared. As far as I know, it wasn't reported, but I'll see what I can dig up. I would like to know if the cyclist was injured.
Old 05-24-10, 11:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Lauraspark
Most major thoroughfares in these places have paved shoulders or bike paths. We have two lanes and no shoulders, so riding on our roads should alert bicyclists that going half the speed limit will create back-ups and the possibility of someone getting road rage.

Bikers may have the same rights as motor vehicles, but they also need to have common courtesy as to not impede traffic."[/B]

What do y'all think?
I think it sounds like the defendant who said:

Yeah, she has the right to wear an attractive, form-fitting dress, but she should know that would arouse passions that men shouldn't be expected to control.
Seriously, it's the 21st century. We put folks on the moon before I was born. And we're still hung up on "Someone obeying the law caused me to fly into a fit of rage ... they shoulda known better?"
Old 05-24-10, 12:54 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
American traffic law, which embody everyone's right to use our roadways, embodies the principle of "right-of-way." Right-of-way is a “first come, first served” principle, where if you’re oper*ating a vehicle on a road, your right to continue on that road safely supersedes an overtaking vehicle operator’s right to pass you. That operator can only pass you when it’s safe to do so.

There is the law, and there are the practical aspects of the law, as well. I do not view the speed limit as a minimum challenge, by any means...but at the same time, unless a bicycle is capable of maintaining the prevailing speed of traffic, I don't know a judge or jury who would feel compelled to 'dumb down' the speed of traffic to the bicycle speed. In fact I can't think of a faster way to get bikes banned from the damn roads entirely. Nor am I hypocritical in this philosophy. Fume belching buses---who enter and leave the lane of traffic with little or no concern for oncoming vehicles---are equally culpable.

"I may be slow but I am in front of you" will not last long as public policy.

The answer to the lady's comment, and it was a thoughtfully phrased one, not a road rage one, is plain and simple. Dollar for dollar, the best investment in roadway safety and ease of travel for motorized and non motorized users, is the proper installation and maintenance of shoulders.

roughstuff
Old 05-24-10, 02:42 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The right to travel is a fundamental constitutional right (or very near). "banning bikes" would be easier said than done, legally. Muscle powered transport is a basic right, and can't even be excluded from expressways if there's no reasonable alternative.

Driving a car is an earned and revoke-able privilege.

If "they" really tried to ban bikes, they'd have to make major sweeping changes to basic rights in the US first. Otherwise the bans would just fall at the first legal challenge.
Old 05-24-10, 05:31 PM
mattotoole

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro w/ Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traffic lights are the great equalizer. A lot of the time, even "50 MPH" traffic isn't moving any faster than the bicycle that drivers think is holding them up. When the traffic lights are figured in, everyone is averaging the same 15 MPH. I experience this on my bike almost every day -- passing and being passed by the same cars, over and over, on "50 MPH" roads.
Old 05-24-10, 06:21 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's an idea:

Since May is supposed to be National Bike Safety Month, the speed limit on EVERY road, highway, interstate, all of it, should be reduced to 25mph for that month; getting caught speeding is an automatic impound for the month.

Hey -- where did I say it was a GREAT idea...?
Old 05-24-10, 07:01 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Here's an idea:

Since May is supposed to be National Bike Safety Month, the speed limit on EVERY road, highway, interstate, all of it, should be reduced to 25mph for that month; getting caught speeding is an automatic impound for the month.

I'm glad I've gotten old and slow. Twenty-five years ago that would have cost me many a bike lost to impound.
Old 05-24-10, 07:03 PM
Lauraspark
Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an idea:

You didn't...but I think it *is* a great idea! Thanks. And thanks to all other responding posters as well. I want to find out more specifics about this incident before responding publicly...but you've given me some wonderful talking points.
Old 05-24-10, 09:35 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know about where you're at, but here in California a car's horn is only supposed to be used in an emergency, anything else could be construed as road rage.
The letter writer sounds like they think they have a bubble around their community, and everyone from the rest of the country that comes near the bubble must abide by their behavior. Traffic laws come from the state, and the local community needs to get over it.
Old 05-24-10, 09:48 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's an idea:

If you ask me that does sound like a great idea.
Old 05-25-10, 07:14 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
If you ask me that does sound like a great idea.
I dunno, as Carfree says, I exceed 25 MPH on my bike several times on a commute, in one place for a mile or so at a stretch.

Not sure what the point of reducing the speed limit to 25 on interstates, where bikes aren't allowed anyway, would be.
Old 05-25-10, 09:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I don't know about where you're at, but here in California a car's horn is only supposed to be used in an emergency, anything else could be construed as road rage.
In Connecticut ( where I mostly grew up, and learned to drive ) you're supposed to toot your horn before cresting a hill, or going around a blind corner. Nobody does, of course, and people on rural roads would have miserable lives if people did.

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Not sure what the point of reducing the speed limit to 25 on interstates, where bikes aren't allowed anyway, would be.
In Washington, bikes are allowed on I-90 and I-5, although certain urban sections are off limits. Every time I see a bike on the far right edge of the freeway, heading up the mountains toward Snoqualmie Pass, I suddenly feel a lot less proud of being able to climb any hill in Seattle...
Old 05-25-10, 11:11 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Here's an idea:

What *I* like about this proposal is it does make clear that the 'cyclist movement' has been captured by envirowhackos who want to dumb down our roadways to speed of the lowest vehicle. Any exceptions for ambulances carrying injured cyclists?

OOPS I forgot...they would be taking the bus, right?

roughstuff
Old 05-25-10, 11:36 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is how I read the letter:

To the Editor:

I am a five-year resident of Boiling Spring Lakes and live on one of the two major thoroughfares in our city where lots of car crashes occur --Fifty Lakes Drive and Boiling Spring Road. I know people who drive and they use a horn to let other people know they should just get the @#$% out of there way, that's what the horn is there for. I was surprised that the cyclists did not get out of the drivers way.

I did not witness the incident and cannot comment on that.

My comment is that people come to our community from other cities and think that that we are a nice and considerate people, the same as where they are from. We are not and new comers should know that!

Car drivers have a right to travel at high rates of speed and anyone that gets in their way is going to pay the price, that is simple physics. I partitioned the city to have the speed limit on my street changed to 60mph put they cited concerns for my neighbors bratty kids on bikes. Why should these brats impinge on my right to travel fast? And now they want to tell me that the major streets that surround my neighborhood also allow these brats to bike on, no way! Major streets are there to confine these nuisances to their houses so decent folks like me don't have to put up with these bratty kids, they should stay home in front of the TV like all normal American kids. And it is my God given right to insist that my right to travel fast is more important then other people who can't afford a car or who let their kids outside just to lallygag on main roads.

Bikers may have the right to exist but not in front of my car.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 05-25-10, 07:17 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I dunno, as Carfree says, I exceed 25 MPH on my bike several times on a commute, in one place for a mile or so at a stretch.

I did it in the 70's too -- at least daily hitting 30! Could still bust 25 now, occasionally; but for the exposure it would give cycling, I'd back off some for that period of time... on the roads, anyway.

As for the interstates, it would just be for the p***-off factor.
Old 05-25-10, 07:30 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
I had the same reaction as 'Human Car,' to write a follow-up LTE.

I would have contrasted how, in my very big city, one would warn a visitor that there are certain places that it is simply not safe to go, because there are dangerous people like *muggers* there. In Boiling Springs Lake, they obviously have the same problem, but the unsafe place is *the roads* and the dangerous people are the *drivers*. Wow! If their drivers are that prone to road rage, I would not even feel safe in a car there. What if I slowed down to check an address or admire the beautiful Western North Carolina (like the rhodedendron in bloom about now)? Boiling Springs Lakes is obviously not a safe or welcoming place to visit, for cylists and maybe everyone else. Thanks for the warning!

No further information on what the original incident was, google search using the 'Gretchen Moore' name and that locality doesn't come up with any news of an accident. One can only hope that means it was not fatal.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 05-26-10, 12:11 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I might be mistaken, but I think part of what DM is/was saying is to for that month open up all roads to bikes.
Old 05-26-10, 04:27 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, DC, just read #21.
Old 05-26-10, 06:50 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I might be mistaken, but I think part of what DM is/was saying is to for that month open up all roads to bikes.
Sorry to agree with the anti-bike crowd in any way, but reducing interstate speeds to 25 for a month would devastate inventory control systems that have finely tuned just in time numbers, and would vastly increase the costs of transporting goods for that time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.