Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need advice.. hybrid or MTB?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 10:06 PM
FireflySky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. New member to the forum and hoping to get into cycling after a looonnnggg time without a bike.

Been doing my best to research and weigh out options, but there's so much information to take in that my head is swimming. I'm trying to decide between getting a hybrid, which seems like would suit my needs, or a MTB which might be more versatile and handle terrain better. I don't see myself doing aggressive trails, but I'd like to go a little off road as well as cruise around my neighborhood. I live in a fairly rural area, so sometimes the roads can get a bit rough. If anyone is familiar with the McDade trail in PA, I would like to be able to go that as well. My boyfriend has been casually riding for a few years with his MTB, and I'd like to join him on some trails, but I'm not interested in technical terrain like he is. I also have some issues with my neck/shoulders and having more of an upright position was more comfortable for me.

I've test ridden a Cannondale Althea 3, and today tried a few bikes and favored on the Trek Skye SL. LBS has a little area that has pavement, gravel, and grass, which is where I tried out the bikes. I tried the Cannondale a couple of months ago, but if my memory suits me it felt like a dream and was very easy to ride on that little bit of terrain difference with ease. The Trek Skye handled it comfortably as well, but I had to put a little more effort into it. Note- I'm not in the best shape, which I'm hoping to improve, but the Cannondale did seem easier for me at the time. Both bikes are within the price range that I am looking at, where is where I'd like to stay.

My main question is, which would be better for me? How durable are hybrids, or would I be better off with a MTB? Also, if anyone has any experience/ opinions on either of those bikes, I'd really appreciate your thoughts. I'd also be open to suggestions on comparisons as well.

If you've read this far, thanks for listening to a complete newbie! I'm looking forward to finding the right bike for me, and learning what I can from experienced riders!
Old 09-14-15, 02:56 AM
Trailroaster

Bikes: 2015 Giant Trance 27.5" 2 Ltd. & 2015 Giant AnyRoad 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
60 years ago, MTB (at least as we know today) weren't invented and bikes were basically the same no matter if you do road or leveled hard packed trails. Today hybrids are a very flexible and fuzzy bike (it will not excel in off-road nor paved roads but handle them).

I sold my previous MTB (an XC hardtail) and got a AM/trail one with 5.5inch suspension travel to handle the real rough terrain (rock gardens, roots and such) and kept the hybrid for everything else.

A bike will be durable if it is well maintained and use it on the parameters for what was built.

Look at this video: Today bikes are capable to sustain a huge punishment:

If you look closely to the video you can notice they switched to 32 spoke wheels and have some kind of gravel/CX tires for gravel/dirt sections but... can serve as an example.
Old 09-14-15, 05:28 AM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think you already have your answer. You said the Cannondale felt like a dream. I have read others say time and time again, get the bike you want to ride. The Cannondale is a hybrid which means it is designed to handle both trails and roads. Of course, it won't handle trails the way a mountain bike will or the street the way a street bike will (or so I am told). However, if you really want to be able to do both with one bike, this seems the best option.

I ride a hybrid with no plans to take it off road (Specialized Sport Disc). I just prefer the riding position and it handles the road well-enough for me. I am not trying to tear up the streets or trails. So, get the bike you are most likely to ride and then ride the heck out of it!