Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are sealed hub bearings easily replaceable?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 02:03 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts

My rear hub bearings on my 85 Sequoia seemed like it was dragging a bit so I took it apart and noticed it had sealed bearings. Are these easily replaced or should I just clean then out and repack with grease? Here's is the bearing with the deal removed.
Old 04-11-20, 02:13 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
How did you take the seals off?
Old 04-11-20, 02:31 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
How did you take the seals off?
I used the pointed end of a pocket knife. They came off pretty easily and I don't think I damaged them.
Likes For robertj298:
Old 04-11-20, 03:12 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
Are these easily replaced or should I just clean then out and repack with grease?
Put your finger inside and turn them. If they run 100% smooth they are still good. If you notice any roughness, replace them.

Maybe you can put something in from the opposite side, and knock them out. Work your way from side to side. It is difficult to know how easily they will come out without being there.
Old 04-11-20, 03:14 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I would clean and repack with grease. If it is rolling smooth, you are done.
Old 04-11-20, 04:05 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
In short answer, you can sometimes clean by flushing and repack. However, you can't get a good inspection on race and ball condition. Its mostly about how it feels in smoothness and judge by feel tolerance.

The good news is, no danger -these are not in a high speed environment and can take significant loads.

Next, these bearings are replaceable, fairly easy and swiftly changed. Can also be done DIY at home without specialty tools or jigs.

Be methodical in the process, setting axle, etc.. Careful not to damage the hub shell, protect it and never put pressure on the inner race of the bearing (outer is where you press). Aluminum hubs are far softer than the hardened bearing and they can sometimes go in so buttery soft using a large C-clamps or slip-joint jaw pliers, socket from the tool box.

Affordable and cheap. Numbers typically are on the seal or on the side of inner race. Cross reference the number (google assist) and then start shopping, select desired grade, etc.. Don't get caught up in buying just two and paying 3 times+ vs. often a qty pack of 6 for say, $9 (save or giveaway the extras to a bike shop). Bearing houses charge considerable for small qty. so I often use Amazon.
Old 04-11-20, 05:28 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
I used a tool like this to remove the cartridge bearings from my Specialized sealed bearing hubs: https://www.treefortbikes.com/ABI-En...CABEgLTw_D_BwE
It will catch the back side of the bearing allowing you to tap it out from the other side with an axle or similar.