Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 12:12 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
I have been watching this thing spin up. I say we all take a step back, and think about the next post. If you need to edit an existing post, that may also be an idea.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 12-05-19, 12:18 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Well if a Peloton can't be a girl's best friend. What are the opinions here on diamonds being a girl's best friend? Just curious, I don't watch TV or listen to commercials on the radio. So maybe those condensending commercials have already been discussed.
Old 12-05-19, 12:22 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by 308jerry
Well if a Peloton can't be a girl's best friend. What are the opinions here on diamonds being a girl's best friend? Just curious, I don't watch TV or listen to commercials on the radio. So maybe those condensending commercials have already been discussed.
Diamonds are so yesterday

today that best Friend is a 600+ calorie starbucks creation.
Old 12-05-19, 12:24 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Metieval
Diamonds are so yesterday

today that best Friend is a 600+ calorie starbucks creation.
And the keys to a shopping scooter.
Old 12-05-19, 12:31 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
And the keys to a shopping scooter.
Uhhh
Pedal powered passenger scooters? I am in, move over rickshaws!!
Old 12-05-19, 12:41 PM
LAJ
So it is

Uhhh
Pedal powered passenger scooters? I am in, move over rickshaws!!
Sadly, no. 600 calorie Starbucks drink fit's nicely in the cup holder provided in those nice electric scooters.
Old 12-05-19, 12:55 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
regardless of the commercial, "Peloton" is a great name, especially when Phil says it
Old 12-05-19, 01:03 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
regardless of the commercial, "Peloton" is a great name, especially when Phil says it
Every time I read the word, it sounds like him in my mind's ear.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-05-19, 01:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 308jerry
Diamonds are the most amazing case of artificial scarcity, price fixing and marketing imaginable, but this will go wildly off-topic really fast.
Old 12-05-19, 01:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Never argue a "what if" with a person that makes up word definitions to his liking.

because arguments are not the only hypothetical involved. Word definitions are also hypothetical.

Your gifts do... which makes them no longer gifts. So you project your ideas onto others. Likewise the many of the viewers are projecting their own BS onto the Peloton ad.

So much for "it's the thought that counts."

Yeah, the idea that we give gifts to express our feelings about people, real radical stuff.
Old 12-05-19, 01:20 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I'd like to pause right there. I may have missed something in the ad or in our exchange here. How do we know this was an effort to change her? Don't we have to make some assumptions to arrive there? Could we not just as easily assume this is an attempt to support her? She was obviously fit in the beginning. Could we believe that he was getting her this because she asked for it? Can we believe he bought it for her as an upgrade to her old worn out one? Why do we assume he wants to change her?
When one is evaluating one has to consider ones own built in bias. From a middle aged or older males POV, probably someone who likes to buy their wives gifts with good intentions, the ad looks like that is what is being done. But from an educated independent females perspective it has a lot of subliminal and well established innuendo in it. Her hesitancy, his making a decision for her, her thanking him for changing her...

It doesn't mean ones right and the others wrong necessarily, just that the older male can't really judge what the educated female should feel about it.

If we look at the sarcastic, judgemental and opinionated reactions to the reaction to the article by the crowd here we can perhaps understand how another crowd might react to the actual ad. We have our perspective on an issue, they have theirs. They are just opinions.

The only difference is that, as noted, most of the users here aren't even the target market for the product so the opinions aren't really based on anything they themselves may feel - other than a general unease at the notion that other people can be offended by something, which has been met predictably with great offense.

It's funny if you reread this thread with the lens of seeing how offended people are at other people being offended. Pot meet kettle.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-05-19 at 01:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 12-05-19, 01:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm not entirely sure as to what to classify it as, but the fact that the company's stock is taking as big a hit over lowering it's own subscription prices as it did from the weekend ad backlash is... amusing?

Either way, I doubt this one will last the week. Stock will stabilize and the perpetually-offended will have moved on to the next thing. Like that
. Ooof.

When you've got downvotes to upvotes 50:1, you know you've nailed it. Even the (apparently) reviled Peloton ad is only ~2:1 in the negative.
Old 12-05-19, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
When one is evaluating one has to consider ones own built in bias. From a middle aged or older males POV, probably someone who likes to buy their wives gifts with good intentions, the ad looks like that is what is being done. But from an educated independent females perspective it has a lot of subliminal and well established innuendo in it. Her hesitancy, his making a decision for her, her thanking him for changing her...

It doesn't mean ones right and the others wrong necessarily, just that the older male can't really judge what the educated female should feel about it.

If we look at the sarcastic, judgemental and opinionated reactions to the reaction to the article by the crowd here we can perhaps understand how another crowd might react to the actual ad. We have our perspective on an issue, they have theirs. They are just opinions.

The only difference is that, as noted, most of the users here aren't even the target market for the product so the opinions aren't really based on anything they themselves may feel - other than a general unease at the notion that other people can be offended by something, which has been met predictably with great offense.

It's funny if you reread this thread with the lens of seeing how offended people are at other people being offended. Pot meet kettle.
I really don't relate to any of the people in the ad, but I think if I were a young woman and this was supposed to represent me, that cult-like raving she's doing would be pretty disturbing.
Old 12-05-19, 01:53 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I'd like to pause right there. I may have missed something in the ad or in our exchange here. How do we know this was an effort to change her? Don't we have to make some assumptions to arrive there? Could we not just as easily assume this is an attempt to support her? She was obviously fit in the beginning. Could we believe that he was getting her this because she asked for it? Can we believe he bought it for her as an upgrade to her old worn out one? Why do we assume he wants to change her?
IIRC, she recognizes immediately that it is a Peloton and not some generic exercise bike which (making the rather large assumption that the writers actually thought this through at this level) would mean she likely was interested. Perhaps she said she'd really like one, but is surprised because she didn't think her husband would buy it for her.

In a somewhat similar situation, I've expressed interest in a new bike. My wife knows I'd like to get it. But I'd guess there's a < 1% chance I'll see it under the tree this year. I would be quite pleasantly surprised if it was.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 12-05-19, 02:08 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I know some women (and men) are really sensitive about exercising in public..
This is why my wife would like to get an exercise bike. If I could afford a Peloton, I'd get one for her.

Maybe that's one reason I think the manufactured outrage over the commercial is just plain stupid. For one thing, it's just a commercial. Secondly, we don't know the backstory. Maybe she wanted an exercise bike for Christmas in order to stay in shape, discussed it with her husband/SO, and was surprised he got her a Peloton since it's a higher-end piece of equipment.

I'm firmly convinced that the people complaining about this commercial are likely the potato-chip eating couch riders who hate to see anyone lose weight or exercise. There's a lot of that coming from the HAES community.

If the commercial has any rightly deserved criticism, it's that anyone thinks they have to vlog their daily activity and make a year-end video out of it. I mean, come on, just go on with your life and don't think you have to share every single little thing you do.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 12-05-19 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 12-05-19, 02:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Maybe that's one reason I think the manufactured outrage over the commercial is just plain stupid. For one thing, it's just a commercial. Secondly, we don't know the backstory. Maybe she wanted an exercise bike for Christmas in order to stay in shape, discussed it with her husband/SO, and was surprised he got her a Peloton since it's a higher-end piece of equipment.
+1. Putting aside whether the question of whether the company should have foreseen the negative reaction, reading stuff into or out of the story is just plain stupid. What I find even more insane is the claim that there is body shaming going on because she already looks trim. I know plenty of trim people who would have trouble riding a bike one mile. If we are going to make up back stories, here is mine: She researched the product and service components, decided that she wanted one to up her game, dropped hints to hubby and he bought her one to encourage her pursuit. What a horrible story.

And as I touched on earlier in this thread, are we to assume that the company is only targeting Christians because of its Christmas morning workout commercial? I mean, where is the first day of Chanukah commercial? The first day of Kwanza commercial?

Last edited by indyfabz; 12-05-19 at 02:31 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-05-19, 02:42 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm firmly convinced that the people complaining about this commercial are likely the potato-chip eating couch riders who hate to see anyone lose weight or exercise. There's a lot of that coming from the HAES community.
Yeah. That's exactly what I think. I've seen (on other boards) over and over again comments like: She's thin, why would she need this?
Some people, specifically those that don't exercise IMO, seem unable to realize that:
1. People exercise for more reasons than losing weight.
and
2. Part of the reason thin people stay thin is exercise.
People who are active, and not potato-chip eating couch riders already know this.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 12-05-19, 02:51 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What I find even more insane is the claim that there is body shaming going on because she already looks trim. I know plenty of trim people who would have trouble riding a bike one mile.
This, definitely. What people don't seem to understand is that exercise is for far more than weight loss. In fact, those of us here seem to realize that exercise is not really for weight loss at all, it's for maintaining your health. If you want to lose weight, change your eating habits. Want to stay healthy? Get exercise. Obviously someone who's dedicated to exercise is going to be about fitness, and likely will have a fit body. Which is why I say the people complaining about fat shaming in the commercial are likely not Peloton's target market. I don't want to get political in here but I suspect a lot of it comes from HAES and the fat acceptance movement, many of whom see any form of exercising as evil and oppressive, even if it's being done by fit people. Or it possibly comes from people who aren't necessarily overweight, but just hate exercise.
Old 12-05-19, 02:52 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by OBoile
Yeah. That's exactly what I think. I've seen (on other boards) over and over again comments like: She's thin, why would she need this?
Some people, specifically those that don't exercise IMO, seem unable to realize that:
1. People exercise for more reasons than losing weight.
and
2. Part of the reason thin people stay thin is exercise.
People who are active, and not potato-chip eating couch riders already know this.
My thoughts exactly, as seen in my previous post ^^^ .
Old 12-05-19, 02:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And as I touched on earlier in this thread, are we to assume that the company is only targeting Christians because of its Christmas morning workout commercial? I mean, where is the first day of Chanukah commercial? The first day of Kwanza commercial?
You think only Christians celebrate $mas?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-05-19, 03:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
You think only Christians celebrate $mas?

Well, me and my people get Chinese food, but I'm not exactly celebrating the holiday, just enjoying a day off.
Old 12-05-19, 03:20 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
. From a middle aged or older males POV, probably someone who likes to buy their wives gifts with good intentions, the ad looks like that is what is being done. But from an educated independent females perspective it has a lot of subliminal and well established innuendo in it.

I wouldn't presume to speak for any group as a whole. Especially as if the thoughts within that group are monolithic. That kind of stereotyping is the basis for bigotry.

That aside, do you really think the intent was to send subliminal offensive messages?
Old 12-05-19, 03:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I wouldn't presume to speak for any group as a whole. Especially as if the thoughts within that group are monolithic. That kind of stereotyping is the basis for bigotry.

That aside, do you really think the intent was to send subliminal offensive messages?

I don't think all women would find it offensive, but having seen the ad, I think it's entirely surprising that someone didn't notice the tone is at least a bit off, and that women might be put off by her reaction.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-05-19, 04:18 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts

This.
Old 12-05-19, 05:02 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

As a follow on to my previous comments, I'll offer the thoughts of these educated independent females.

Crazy that a middle aged redneck male can think the same way an educated independent female can huh?
Likes For Paul Barnard:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.