Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium Bikes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Titanium Bikes

Old 10-03-20, 06:05 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
bb86 is a ******** standard, you get all the drawback of pressfit but non of the benefits of PF30 such as lighter stiffer 30mm axle, bigger bearing longer bearing life, smaller q factor etc
Old 10-08-20, 01:58 AM
vjbknife

Bikes: Lynskey times 3. Sportive, Pro29'er and Backroad

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
I think that there is such a wide variety of designs, tube sizes and shapes, and components that it is very hard to compare the material of one bike to another. I feel that a well designed bike for a certain type of riding can be outstanding when made of any of the mentioned materials. People have preferences in this area based on many factors which may not even be evident to that person. Tires and wheel construction have a lot more to do with ride quality that most other factors. Each frame material has certain inherent advantages and disadvantages. I worked as a bike tech for eight years in a large high volume shop, which gave me the opportunity to work on, build and repair thousands of bikes. I have preferences and reasons for liking certain bikes and some are just feelings that I can't explain, but overall I like Titanium. Over many years I have owned several Columbus, Reynolds and Tange CroMo framed bikes. I currently own one casual Giant bike that is Aluminum (mostly for visiting guests to our Hawaii home), an Aluminum and CF Specialized and three Lynskeys. I built all 3 Lynskey Ti Bikes. My first was a Sportive 2010 which is pretty much completely Dura Ace, the second is a Pro29'er 2016 which is all XTR and my new one is a Backroad 2020 which is Ultegra. I selected the parts for the first two but ordered the Backroad with the Ultegra group, but it came unassembled due to my location in Hawaii. I built the wheelsets on each making up two pair for each bike for different purposes. I am pretty much a Ti guy, but I have to say that one day I would like to own a high quality stainless steel framed bike.

Last edited by vjbknife; 10-09-20 at 02:33 AM.
Likes For vjbknife:
Old 10-08-20, 07:55 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
ti bikes are bombproof i own and ride s bianchi ti megatube ti bike very fast stiff bike vs my old ti eddy merckx that was flimbsy as shat.
both when fitted well and tuned well are just wonderful to ride. no drama no worries
In what way was the Merckx "flimbsy as shat" (assuming this means "flimsy as sh1t", but who knows?)? - AFAIK Merckx Tis were built by Litespeed.
Old 10-08-20, 10:12 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
In what way was the Merckx "flimbsy as shat" (assuming this means "flimsy as sh1t", but who knows?)? - AFAIK Merckx Tis were built by Litespeed.
flexy
. 1inch head tube, small tubes, very nice bike but flexy.
i sadly sold it for a carbon 928 bianchi.
regret daily ...
Old 10-08-20, 10:18 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
flexy
. 1inch head tube, small tubes, very nice bike but flexy.
i sadly sold it for a carbon 928 bianchi.
regret daily ...
It sounds like a fabulous all-day cruiser. Maybe along the lines of an older LS Classic, but I think Merckx geometry has a longer TT than an equivalently-sized LS?
Old 10-16-20, 02:51 PM
stran11

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I find my titanium bike feels smoother on rougher roads. On nice tarmac, the difference compared to carbon bikes is less noticeable. I feel the wheelset you put on the bike contributes greatly to overall comfort/feel.
Old 10-16-20, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I have three titanium bikes and love them all dearly. My Ti road bike is the envy of the shop and generally people are always trying to "finesse" it as the kids say. They want to race for it or just take it, never works though. I don't race and I certainly wouldn't do it for pinks, it is my pride and joy but I damn sure couldn't beat these young kids with my slow ass.

No carbon in the collection aside from some forks but plenty of steel (and one aluminum) and honestly I love both but if I could swap a couple bikes over to ti I might consider mainly for my commuter beater bike just because I kind of want no paint to get damaged and for my aluminum bike so it is more comfortable and it would be cool to have a titanium fixed gear road bike.

I find if it cannot rhyme it ain't worth your time. Steel is real, Ti is fly and Wood is good.
Old 10-18-20, 03:28 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

I find if it cannot rhyme it ain't worth your time. Steel is real, Ti is fly and Wood is good.
How about:
“Titanium for a happy cranium”

“Carbon when drinking bourbon”
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 10-18-20, 02:34 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts

Titanium or carbon? Both!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-19-20, 07:11 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts

I’m a big fan of lugged steel racers, but in ‘93 I got the ti bug. “It’ll last forever” and it very well will. I am 69 so I doubt I’ll be in the market for another road bike. In March I debated buying something current but instead upgraded the old Campy Chorus to the new 12 speed, with new wheels. It wouldn’t have mattered. I love this bike and have from the day I bought it. It’s fast, forgiving, quiet, solid, light enough and has proved true...I’ve ridden it for 27 years! It’s an oddity among the carbon bikes around me, but I’m pulling the line as much as anyone. I love this bike!
Likes For jleeg:
Old 10-20-20, 08:16 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
My Ti road bike is the envy of the shop and generally people are always trying to "finesse" it as the kids say. They want to race for it or just take it, never works though. I don't race and I certainly wouldn't do it for pinks, it is my pride and joy but I damn sure couldn't beat these young kids with my slow ass.
I want to see it. Post some pics!
Old 10-20-20, 08:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by jadocs
I want to see it. Post some pics!

I realize I need to take more photos of the bike and also remove my saddle bag.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-11-21, 12:29 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Hard to argue against the non corroding, and almost infinite fatigue life of titanium.
It's all about the welds. I also have an Airborne Ti and one of the reasons they went out of business is that the weld (frames assembled in China) quality was hit and miss. I think my Valkyrie was done on a good day with one of their better welders. Others weren't quite so lucky.
Old 01-11-21, 01:00 PM
impolexg

Bikes: Kona Raijin, Ibis Tranny 29, Cannondale SR1000, Lynskey R330

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SCTinkering
It's all about the welds. I also have an Airborne Ti and one of the reasons they went out of business is that the weld (frames assembled in China) quality was hit and miss. I think my Valkyrie was done on a good day with one of their better welders. Others weren't quite so lucky.
At a endurance race in the pouring rain and mud I saw a Moots rear chainstay detach from the bb shell about 5 miles from the finish. Guy's race was over. They sure have a good reputation and I'm sure they'll take care of him.

My ti lynskey developed a crack at the base of the seatpost expansion slot, I think because my easton seatpost had a flat face at that point. I called around locally and people wanted > $1k to fix. Lynskey offered to replace my seattube for ~300. Rather than mail the frame in I got a thomson post and a deeper seatpost clamp from Engin Cycles and crack hasn't grown in > 1 year, but if it grows I'll send it in.

I've had my kona hei hei since new, its lived on my trainer now for 6 years and is crusted with salt but no corrosion. I've had to replace steel stem bolts because they were exploding with rust.

I'm a big fan of Ti but a lot of hype is just false. I think best is to try and buy from someone that will support you down the line.
Likes For impolexg:
Old 01-17-21, 08:13 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
I currently have a Ti Merlin Extralight, and Cf bikes from Willier, Cervelo, and Calfee.

The Merlin, now 25 years old and still looking new has been a great bike. I put S&S couplers on it, and it makes a great travel bike because you don’t need to worry about scratching paint or abrasion damage.

Otherwise, the Cf bikes are just better for rigidity, where you want it, comfort, and weight.

I think Ti still has a place for a bike that can take
some abuse and last a very long time. Performance
wise, a good CF frame is just better.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-18-21, 09:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I currently have a Ti Merlin Extralight, and Cf bikes from Willier, Cervelo, and Calfee.

The Merlin, now 25 years old and still looking new has been a great bike. I put S&S couplers on it, and it makes a great travel bike because you don’t need to worry about scratching paint or abrasion damage.

Otherwise, the Cf bikes are just better for rigidity, where you want it, comfort, and weight.
To be fair perhaps, you're comparing your CF experience to a 25yr old Ti bike that (because that's how they were made then) can't take tires probably wider than 25mm, and has S&S couplers. It's maybe possible that the OP shopping for a new Ti bike today, could find options that are more rigid and/or comfortable. Weight.. could still be an issue, though the big boys seem to be making their CF offerings heavier every year.
Old 01-18-21, 09:35 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
To be fair perhaps, you're comparing your CF experience to a 25yr old Ti bike that (because that's how they were made then) can't take tires probably wider than 25mm, and has S&S couplers. It's maybe possible that the OP shopping for a new Ti bike today, could find options that are more rigid and/or comfortable. Weight.. could still be an issue, though the big boys seem to be making their CF offerings heavier every year.
Other than wider tire spacing (and fwiw, I run 25mm tires on the Merlin, and could likely squeeze in 28mm) I don’t think there’s any Ti bike built today that’s a dramatic improvement over the Merlin Extralight. The Extralight has oversized, shaped, tubes, a very well thought out geometry and built to a high level of craftsmanship. There’s a limit to what you can do with Ti, and I think the second generation Merlin Extralight got pretty close to that limit.

Admittedly, I haven’t ridden a recently built Ti bike. However, I would be shocked if any of them could approach the ride quality and handling of a high end modern CF bike.

As for the S&S couplers, I rode the bike for over 15 years before I retrofitted the couplers. The couplers add about a pound of weight, but make zero discernible ride or handling difference. The couplers do point out one advantage of Ti however, that it’s a great material for a packable travel bike.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 01-18-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-18-21, 12:34 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I got my titanium Mosaic RT-1 after seeing one and thinking it was beautiful. Seriously, that is an underrated reason. I still get admiration all the time on the road, and it's 7 years old. (See below.)

I have a 2011 Cervelo R3, which I loved, but the Mosaic is more comfortable. However, this may be primarily because I can fit 25s on the Mosaic, but only 23s on the Cervelo.

Last edited by profjmb; 01-18-21 at 12:42 PM.
Likes For profjmb:
Old 01-18-21, 06:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts

I realize I need to take more photos of the bike and also remove my saddle bag.
I love my titanium bikes, but they aren't good looking bikes. Titanium rarely looks good to my eye. Your bike is one of those rare instances where it looks fantastic.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-18-21, 09:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I love my titanium bikes, but they aren't good looking bikes. Titanium rarely looks good to my eye. Your bike is one of those rare instances where it looks fantastic.
Well thank you! I like a good looking bike.
Old 01-19-21, 12:02 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I am not a fan of AL, but like carbon, Ti and quality steel. My only Ti bike is a 2000 Colnago CT1 Titanio(6/4 Russian Ti), which has carbon forks and rear triangle. Unique bike that rides great.

Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 01-19-21, 07:55 PM
2WheelsNYC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Been riding a carbon gravel bike for the last 4 years, and just switched to titanium. It feels a lot more quicker and quieter. Only have a few hundred miles on it and have been pretty happy with it so far.
Old 01-24-21, 08:08 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Other than wider tire spacing (and fwiw, I run 25mm tires on the Merlin, and could likely squeeze in 28mm) I don’t think there’s any Ti bike built today that’s a dramatic improvement over the Merlin Extralight. The Extralight has oversized, shaped, tubes, a very well thought out geometry and built to a high level of craftsmanship. There’s a limit to what you can do with Ti, and I think the second generation Merlin Extralight got pretty close to that limit.

Admittedly, I haven’t ridden a recently built Ti bike. However, I would be shocked if any of them could approach the ride quality and handling of a high end modern CF bike.

As for the S&S couplers, I rode the bike for over 15 years before I retrofitted the couplers. The couplers add about a pound of weight, but make zero discernible ride or handling difference. The couplers do point out one advantage of Ti however, that it’s a great material for a packable travel bike.
You're going to be surprised by this, but I disagree. With 3D printed Ti and improvements to shaping of Ti tubes, Ti bikes are once again making progress and can now be both stiff and compliant like CF. Look at the T-Lab R3 & X3, they are far from conventional tube shapes. Ti will hit a limit on seat and chain stay size that CF can accomplish and I think Ti will always be a bit heavier, but unlike CF will have a life span that outlives the technology.
Old 01-26-21, 02:26 AM
cricket1116
Everybody Loves a Fat Guy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 2017 Lynskey Helix Sport, and a 2021 Scott Addict RC.

To me, the Lynskey feels a bit flexier in the BB. I'm not saying it is, it just feels that way to me. The Addict RC feels more responsive at faster paces. I'm not saying it is, it just feels that way to me. I grab the Scott for faster group rides and races, and the Lynskey for longer rides, solo rides, etc. That being said, I can do distance on the Scott and the Lynskey does fine on said faster rides. I think it's mostly about perception and overall setup...Scott has deep carbon wheels, Lynskey does not, etc.

If I could only keep one, it would the the Lynskey, mainly because I have a thing for the look of Ti bikes. Luckily, I can keep both.
Old 01-28-21, 11:18 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
ti bikes are bombproof i own and ride s bianchi ti megatube ti bike very fast stiff bike vs my old ti eddy merckx that was flimbsy as shat.
both when fitted well and tuned well are just wonderful to ride. no drama no worries

now with paint....
Likes For thehammerdog:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.