Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bicycle rentals and what you look for in the shop

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-22-21, 06:23 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

What are some of your experiences renting bikes from tourist locations? Besides water bottles and t-shirts what else do people look for when they go into a bicycle rental location?
Im looking for ideas that could help my business cater towards cyclists from out of town.
Old 01-22-21, 06:31 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Originally Posted by justinschulz9
What are some of your experiences renting bikes from tourist locations? Besides water bottles and t-shirts what else do people look for when they go into a bicycle rental location?
Im looking for ideas that could help my business cater towards cyclists from out of town.

Road bikes of different sizes, helmets. Option to rent platform or clip less pedals with the bike. That’s what I look for.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-22-21, 06:32 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
what about accessories?
Old 01-22-21, 06:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,386 Times in 2,733 Posts
Provide nice routes for various distances and abilities. GPS and printed.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-22-21, 06:43 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Originally Posted by justinschulz9
what about accessories?

Lights would be nice, Water bottle or the ability to purchase a water bottle. In these times I don’t think I would want to use a used water bottle. If you wanted to go above and beyond you could have gps cycling computers for rent with the bike. Also going back to the pedals, if you provided the option of clip less you could rent shoes.

It really depends on how much you are going to charge and what people are willing to pay. 50 dollars for the day is about max what I am willing to pay personally.
Old 01-22-21, 07:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Restroom
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-22-21, 08:28 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Road service and/or spare tire with air pump.
Old 01-22-21, 08:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've rented a carbon road bikes a few times from Arizona Outdoor Adventures in Scottsdale. I send them my "fit'" sheet and they adjust it accordingly. They supply water bottles, helmet, toolkit and pedals to match my cleats.. I bring my kit and shoes.

They have many routes on their webpage ranging from bike paths to centuries.
Old 01-23-21, 08:06 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Snacks and coffee
Old 01-23-21, 08:22 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I've rented a carbon road bikes a few times from Arizona Outdoor Adventures in Scottsdale. I send them my "fit'" sheet and they adjust it accordingly. They supply water bottles, helmet, toolkit and pedals to match my cleats.. I bring my kit and shoes.

Awesome, I am a regular visitor to Phoenix. Keeping these notes.
Old 01-23-21, 09:35 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by BillyD
Awesome, I am a regular visitor to Phoenix. Keeping these notes.
This was the bike section of the half iron man.... 52 miles out in the desert. My son and i rented Trek Domane SL6.

https://ridewithgps.com/events/30051...855667/preview

Last edited by GlennR; 01-23-21 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-23-21, 06:45 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Keep rental prices reasonable. I went to rent a road bike from a place in Austin, TX one time. They wanted to charge an extra $2000 to my credit card as a security deposit that would cover the full cost of the bike. That was in addition to the hourly rental cost. They’d refund the $2000 to the card if/when the bike was returned with no damage. I declined because I just thought that was ridiculous. I rented a nice bike from a place in Las Vegas that didn’t require a security deposit to cover the entire cost of the bike...around $60 per hour I think. That shop also provided a tour guide service...a local knowledgeable person to ride with you (for an additional charge). I was a little reluctant to do that but afterwards was glad I did. It was my first time in the Vegas area and wanted to make sure I’d get a nice ride in a scenic area. The guy knew just where to take me. And if you don’t use their guide service...they’d still transport you out the the area you want to ride in. They provided everything. Beverages (beers afterwards), cycling clothing (I had my own with me), shoes, helmet, sunglasses, CO₂ inflation, tools, etc.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-23-21 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 07:06 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Keep rental prices reasonable. I went to rent a road bike from a place in Austin, TX one time. They wanted to charge an extra $2000 to my credit card as a security deposit that would cover the full cost of the bike. That was in addition to the hourly rental cost. They’d refund the $2000 to the card if/when the bike was returned with no damage. I declined because I just thought that was ridiculous. I rented a nice bike from a place in Las Vegas that didn’t require a security deposit to cover the entire cost of the bike...around $60 per hour I think. That shop also provided a tour guide service...a local knowledgeable person to ride with you (for an additional charge). I was a little reluctant to do that but afterwards was glad I did. It was my first time in the Vegas area and wanted to make sure I’d get a nice ride in a scenic area. The guy knew just where to take me. And if you don’t use their guide service...they’d still transport you out the the area you want to ride in. They provided everything. Beverages (beers afterwards), cycling clothing (I had my own with me), shoes, helmet, sunglasses, CO₂ inflation, tools, etc.

Dan
So you didn’t go for a ride in Austin then? Damage deposit is fairly normal and not a issue for me not sure what the concern is?
Old 01-23-21, 08:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

around $60 per hour I think.

Dan
That's crazy.... i've rented a Trek Domane SL7 for $80 for 24/hrs. I was able to get an after noon ride and a morning ride the next day.
Old 01-23-21, 09:59 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Beer
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 01-24-21, 01:19 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
So you didn’t go for a ride in Austin then? Damage deposit is fairly normal and not a issue for me not sure what the concern is?
Well...I did ride in Austin...on one of the ride share bikes. Funny thing is that I rode it like 25-30 miles...well out of downtown Austin. I was in the outskirts of town at a stoplight and a person walking commented to me “Wow...I’ve never seen one of those bikes so far out of the city.” But...I just find it ridiculous to have to put up $2000 to rent a road bike for a couple of hours.

Dan
Old 01-24-21, 08:32 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

+1 for AOA. fwiw, they have been acquired by REI. Don’t know how if at all business has changed or if AOA name may eventually disappear. Another nice option is to provide a Garmin mount on request
Old 01-24-21, 08:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Well...I did ride in Austin...on one of the ride share bikes. Funny thing is that I rode it like 25-30 miles...well out of downtown Austin. I was in the outskirts of town at a stoplight and a person walking commented to me “Wow...I’ve never seen one of those bikes so far out of the city.” But...I just find it ridiculous to have to put up $2000 to rent a road bike for a couple of hours.

Dan
Usually I thought these 'deposits' would be hold on the funds, not a charge that has to be reversed and refunded.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-24-21, 09:02 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 719 Posts
Really make sure you live in an area where rentals are needed and what kind. Worked at a shop that tried renting road bikes, didn't take long to only renting a couple of tri bikes before just renting hybrids. They thought it would work being an upscale town but the area wasn't known for its roads. Hybrids were only a 20.00 rental for up to 3 hours but in the middle of the summer we could have 30 of them out the door at any given time. Considering they cost the shop 200.00 for an entry level Giant, riders didn't care they were 2 years old, and after 2 years they'd resale for 200.00 they were a really nice summer boost, during the best days over 2 grand a day just rentals wasn't hard. Where I am now I've found places that rent fat bikes and beach cruisers and can make a killing. But while the first place was a common touristy area it was usually for more sedate visitors and the locals rented as much as anything. Only thing we offered were helmets.
There's some areas where MTB would be the way to go, and some areas are more road meccas.
If I was renting a road bike, clipless pedal options would be desired, offering bottles should probably be a surcharge with little markup. I'm cheap so if my option is a couple empty bottles with your tap water at 8.00 to 10 each then forget it. The bottled water at the gas station will fit the cages fine and probably be safer to drink. If they're only a couple bucks to make little more then cost I'd buy them and still fill with bottled water. A good helmet should be included just make sure you change the pads from time to time, no one likes a gross looking helmet. Sunglasses could be an optional upcharge.
Price wise I'd pay 50-75 for a day but after that it just isn't worth it to me, others may be different especially if it doesn't mean they have to rent more then one for a spouse. I'd have to. A couple shops I know posted prices for the rentals and if someone finished and wanted to buy it they could get it for the fixed price with a rental fee refund or get a brand new one and have the fee deducted from the cost of the new bike. That got a couple people doing day rentals to test out if they liked the ride and fit of a bike.
Old 01-24-21, 09:17 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Have decent road bikes, or all-road with street tires if that's the area you're in, available. I'd expect you need your share of comfort type bikes and/or hybrids for the general public, but decent roads bikes are a big plus. We rent mid+ level Bianchis from Kafe Racer in Dunedin, FL when we visit down that way. They did a quick fitting and supplied SPD pedals. Unless something has changed, they are the only bike shop in the Tampa area that had road bikes..everyone else only had comfort bikes, beach bikes..etc. Kafe Racer also had a good selection of recumbent trikes (TerraTrikes). Not my cup of tea in general, but they are located on the Pinellas Trail..in Florida..LOTS of folks riding trikes down there. Trikes may be attractive lark for people on vacation, particularly people that are not normal riders. Last time we were down there(last year) we rented a tandem trike (TerraTrike) for a half-day..never been on one. 11 feet long..it was a hoot. We did about 40 miles on the Pin Trail..like a freight train with both of us cranking.
Old 01-29-21, 09:44 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Yeah, I would be looking for a decent bike with a decent drivetrain. I would not rent walmart type bikes and associated drivetrains. Not being a snob, just would not enjoy riding something like that.
Old 01-31-21, 10:17 AM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Gear the bike for the terrain, I rented a bike on the island of Hawaii once planning to do lots of climbing, the bike was 52/33 front and 11/24 rear, not good for climbing Kohala mountain road, and changing the rear was not an option.
On the plus side, you can give people CO2 inflater with the rental, sell them CO2 cartridges, and if they don't use them, give them their money back in store credits if they turn them back in.
T shirts or jerseys with store or vacation spot logos are nice.
A place to change clothes and store gear, for people just renting the bike for 1 ride.
Old 02-01-21, 01:26 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I've rented road bikes many, many times. All I look for is information on the brand and size of bikes they rent so I can go online to see if it's within fit parameters for me and if the gearing is reasonable for the riding I'll be doing. I might ask if they will swap stems for me, but often I just bring my own and swap it myself if need-be.

I always bring my own stuff so it doesn't matter if they supply it or not:
basic tools, mini pump
Pedals
Shoes
Helmet
Saddle (although I usually at least try their stock saddle for a day to see if I like it, a good way to "test" saddles).
Possibly a stem or two for fit purposes
All my riding clothes.

My wife's very small so when we're renting a bike for her I bring all of the above, but make sure I have stems and stem risers to make a bike fit for her. I've even brought cassettes and chain to reduce gearing in back if necessary.

For what it's worth, in my own life my bikes have upper level Shimano and Sram 9 and 10 speed-era drive trains. I've rented lower level bikes many times, for example with Shimano Sora or Sram Apex shifting and have been perfectly happy. That is not a decision factor for me at all. Fit is.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-01-21 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-01-21, 01:35 AM
jfh

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
I've rented a few times for things like centuries, and up the Klondike Highway in Skagway (pretty much the definition of a tourist town). So I usually have a route or ride in mind, and I might chat with the shop workers about it. The things I appreciate:

1. A thorough description on the website, i.e. bike makes/model, sizes, gearing. Gearing information is especially appreciated so I know I won't be under-geared for the climbs.
2. Availability of pedals. I prefer to not have to pull my own pedals off my bike.
3. Support. A "call us at this number if you need us". Skagway was great because the bike shop ran downhill tours all day, so their vans would pass me and honk as I was climbing. If I had a mechanical a van or a downhill tour group would have probably passed by within 20 minutes. bikes have generally had mini-pump/tools/spare tube.
4. Fit. I'm pretty flexible, but I appreciate it when the shop takes it seriously and spends some time on fit before sending me out the door.

I prefer to bring my own helmet/clothes/water bottle/nutrition.
Old 02-01-21, 05:12 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I've had a variety of experiences that haven't made any difference to the ride enjoyment itself.

Bad stuff:
Poorly adjusted brakes and gears, hotel bike pick up that didn't happen, ignored when entering the shop, 5pm closing.
Getting a full suspension MTB instead of a road bike. That was actually a fun day because my riding partner was still slower than me.

Good stuff
Showers. Bag stowage, mechanic recabling bike before giving it to me. Free water bottle. Late closing or 24hr rental. Friendly knowledgeable staff who can recommend routes and pubs.