Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Is a 26 inch Mt Bike really a gravel grinder

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 11:03 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

I love the concept of doing both road and gravel on a road bike Now that I am developing my MTB am I jumping the shark?
I need a real true disc specific grinder but lack the $$$ and my current steed uses 28s a tad small but as large as it can go.
THe MTB is my only response to truely participate with out worry of flatting....will I be a poser?
Old 06-02-15, 11:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Pfft. Gravel grinding is riding a bike on gravel. As long as a race doesn't prohibit it, use whatever you want.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-03-15, 01:03 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
mine sure is:

Ride your 26er if you want to. The more you ride it, the more you'll see where you need to adapt it, or what features you want in your perfect gravel bike. I also want something with discs and larger wheels, but my 26er rips the way I have it built now.

If I were to buy a "perfect" gravel bike, I really like the Elephant National Forest Explorer.

But "perfect" for gravel depends on the gravel you ride. Mine is rough and medium-large, with loose corners. So, I prefer very wide tires like the 60 mm / 55 mm combo I have on mine. It also depends on how heavy you are (and how much load you want to carry); my lighter friends do ok on 32 mm cyclocross tires, but those cut in too much under me. The wider tires float much better under my 225 lbs.

Like Scott says, any bike on gravel is a "gravel grinder". Folks have been riding gravel since bicycles were invented. Honestly, gravel-capable bikes still outnumber non-capable ones. It's just unfortunate that so many bikes have tried to emulate TdF bikes instead of all-purpose machines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0060.jpg (104.3 KB, 168 views)
Old 06-03-15, 02:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Opie probably used a old cruiser on the Gravel roads around Mayberry..
Old 06-03-15, 02:16 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Pfft. Gravel grinding is riding a bike on gravel. As long as a race doesn't prohibit it, use whatever you want.
This. ^^^

Free your mind, and your bike will follow.
Old 06-03-15, 06:29 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Thats exactly what I want to make.....I have a great foundation bike Gary Fisher but a bunch of parts.......Thanks
Old 06-04-15, 06:30 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
....will I be a poser?
Only in the eyes of the bicycle companies that want you to drop another two grand on a new bike. To the people actually doing the race, it's all about making it to the end and pushing yourself to find new limits. All the races I've done, we cheer when you cross the finish line no matter what kind of bike you do it on, or what position you finish in