Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

caad steerer tube question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 10:02 PM
theworldisgray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got my caad 10. and i have a question about cutting my steerer tube and if i should
1. Leave a 5mm spacer on top of the stem so that i have 2mm of steerer tube above. or if i should
2. Do like Cannondale's manual says and cut the steerer tube to 2-3mm below the stem.
I would think the manufacture knows best and would rather follow the manual. but all the carbon steeres i have used before have wanted min of 5mm spacer above. thanks in advance for any inputs
Old 05-23-16, 11:26 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm pretty sure Cannondale knows their products. There are reasons behind their recommendations and it's explained in the manual. Measure twice, cut once
Old 05-23-16, 11:39 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the reason behind Cannondale's instructions are because they want the compression plug supporting the steerer in the area where the stem is clamped. I'm guessing the design of the compression plug they use makes it such that more of the steerer under the stem clamping area is supported when no spacer is used above the stem.
Old 05-24-16, 12:15 AM
theworldisgray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
I believe the reason behind Cannondale's instructions are because they want the compression plug supporting the steerer in the area where the stem is clamped. I'm guessing the design of the compression plug they use makes it such that more of the steerer under the stem clamping area is supported when no spacer is used above the stem.
the manual shows a picture of the plug supporting the bottom if no spacers so maybe supporting the bottom is the most important? would it be ok to leave some above for a ride or two to dial in fit?
Old 05-24-16, 04:33 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by theworldisgray
the manual shows a picture of the plug supporting the bottom if no spacers so maybe supporting the bottom is the most important? would it be ok to leave some above for a ride or two to dial in fit?
Yes, make sure you like the new position before you cut. Just do your best to avoid sharp impacts to the front wheel like jumping curbs, gutters, pot holes, etc... during your test period.
Old 05-24-16, 04:54 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i would personally cut as little of the steerer tube off as possible,within reason of course, cause there's no integrity difference whether you have spacers on top of the stem or not. also, having a longer steerer will come into play when you decide to sell the bike later on, cause the next owner is going to want some flexibility too...

i'm not saying you shouldn't slam the stem if you want to, i'm just saying it's better to have more of something you may not need than not have enough of something that you may decide you need later on...
Old 05-24-16, 05:25 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
i would personally cut as little of the steerer tube off as possible,within reason of course, cause there's no integrity difference whether you have spacers on top of the stem or not. also, having a longer steerer will come into play when you decide to sell the bike later on, cause the next owner is going to want some flexibility too...

i'm not saying you shouldn't slam the stem if you want to, i'm just saying it's better to have more of something you may not need than not have enough of something that you may decide you need later on...
I strongly disagree with what you posted. The bike has to fit the current owner, not the imaginary next one. Also, leaving spacers above the stem when the design of the steerer and expansion plug do not provide for that is simply wrong.

OP, start by leaving about 2 cm more than you think you need and putting the corresponding spacers above the stem. Test it carefully for as long as need to, then cut the steerer to the length that gives the stem at the exact position you prefer with no spacers above it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-24-16, 05:26 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
That is the sensible explanation.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-24-16, 07:57 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Except thats not what Cannondale recommends. Milkbaby's explanation of why your not supposed to leave spacers above the stem is correct. Probably not a big deal for a few weeks while OP dials it in but over the long haul I would listen to manufacturers recommendation
Old 05-24-16, 10:12 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
Milkbaby's explanation of why your not supposed to leave spacers above the stem is correct. Probably not a big deal for a few weeks while OP dials it in but over the long haul I would listen to manufacturers recommendation
all top caps are not the same, and Cannondale uses a pretty long top cap. so you can usually get away with a 5mm or even a 10mm spacer over it and it will be fine, as long as everything is torqued down correctly. not to mention that the top of steerer is it's weakest point for compression cracks, and that will always be protected with that top cap. usually the only time a carbon steerer cracks is from the top down when people decide to not use a compression plug and use a stem cap and bolt it down, and over tighten the stem bolts, but hey the OP can do whatever he wants...
Old 05-24-16, 10:20 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
all top caps are not the same, and Cannondale uses a pretty long top cap. so you can usually get away with a 5mm or even a 10mm spacer over it and it will be fine, as long as everything is torqued down correctly. not to mention that the top of steerer is it's weakest point for compression cracks, and that will always be protected with that top cap. usually the only time a carbon steerer cracks is from the top down when people decide to not use a compression plug and use a stem cap and bolt it down, and over tighten the stem bolts, but hey the OP can do whatever he wants...
He can do what he wants. If he puts spacers above the stem using Cannondale's compression plug then the bottom of the stem will be clamped below the compression plug which is designed to reinforce the steerer tube. There is more stress below the stem then above it due to leverage and then you add high leverage to the part of the steerer that is hollow and that can wear it down over time and cause failure. But with the ammount of carbon steerers that have actually failed on bikes compared to the ammount that haven't failed, odds are OP won't have any problems regardless of what he chooses unless he crashes the bike or has some other hard impact
Old 05-24-16, 10:33 AM
pacalolo

Bikes: Synapse Carbon, Vintage Spesh Steel, something aluminum

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The plug on my Synapse has enough vertical adjustment that I have no problem with a 5mm spacer above the stem, and the plug is perfectly aligned with the stem's clamping area around the steerer. I don't think I could adjust it to 15 or 20mm, but 5mm is practically nothing.
Old 05-24-16, 10:37 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that he should slam it and put 20mm of spacers above the stem, but the OP only wanted to put one 5mm spacer above the stem. it's just one of those things you can't take back once you do it, like i said i would rather have more of something i don't really need now than not enough of something i may need later on, and 5mm is so little i HIGHLY doubt that will ruin the integrity of the steerer at all. to each their own though...