Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fizik Arione VS or VSX saddles: Differences?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 02:02 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hello there,

I am looking to try a Fizik Arione, and I'm contemplating whether to get the VS or VSX version.

The only difference in these saddles seems to be that the VSX is slightly heavier, and has a deeper cutout.

I was wondering if the VSX also has more padding? Is there a major difference in the way both saddles feel and ride?

Is the cutout on the VS deep enough to provide relief for your 'sensitive parts'? I've read somewhere it is not. Does anyone here have experience with it?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-16, 04:49 PM
Chapa4
On the road

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Hello there,

I am looking to try a Fizik Arione, and I'm contemplating whether to get the VS or VSX version.

The only difference in these saddles seems to be that the VSX is slightly heavier, and has a deeper cutout.

I was wondering if the VSX also has more padding? Is there a major difference in the way both saddles feel and ride?

Is the cutout on the VS deep enough to provide relief for your 'sensitive parts'? I've read somewhere it is not. Does anyone here have experience with it?

Thanks!
Not too sure about the cut out but the saddle hasn't helped me much with relief of pressure. I've Ahmad a ride here or there where I'm not quite dialed in on the saddle and I had a little numbness and sorted that out quickly.
Old 08-23-16, 05:57 PM
Xherion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a VS, but I own an Arione K:ium VSX and wasn't too impressed with it. I didn't feel that it had deep enough channel and I've see others complain about the same thing - especially the argument of a channel vs. a cutout. That being said, the Arione felt good while demoing it on a short trainer ride, but had perineal pain during longer rides. But my rear end prefers a saddle shape more like the Aliante, Romin and Power (with the latter being my end all saddle).
Old 08-23-16, 10:51 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
If you're not set on the Arione, give the Antares a try.

I've had perineum pain and prostate issues and could only ride cutout/channel saddles. Tried an Arione VSX one time and it felt like sitting on two pieces of pipe an inch and a half apart. Just for giggles I borrowed a regular Antares and it turned out to be just flat enough in its layout that it didn't cause any pressure down there. No issues whatsoever and have put thousands of miles on it.
Old 08-24-16, 09:24 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I've tried an Antares VSX before actually, but it was too wide for me. That is why I was thinking of trying the Arione.

I can find the Arione VS for cheaper online than the Arione VSX, which is why I was wondering if the deeper channel was really much better.
Old 08-24-16, 10:37 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
if you have to have a cutout, fizik saddles are probably not the way to go. If you can ride a non cutout saddle just fine, and want a bit more comfort(more padding) and pressure relief then that is where the VS/VSX fit in. The VSX is deeper and has more padding than the VS FWIW
Old 08-24-16, 11:35 AM
inspclouseau

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
If you're not set on the Arione, give the Antares a try.

I've had perineum pain and prostate issues and could only ride cutout/channel saddles. Tried an Arione VSX one time and it felt like sitting on two pieces of pipe an inch and a half apart. Just for giggles I borrowed a regular Antares and it turned out to be just flat enough in its layout that it didn't cause any pressure down there. No issues whatsoever and have put thousands of miles on it.

Exactly my experience. I tried the cutout arione and it was worse than the regular arione for perineum pain. I have an antares and its fine.
Old 08-24-16, 08:58 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i can't comment on the Arione, but i tried both the Antares VS and VSX last summer cause the Antares is the perfect width for me, and to me the VS version was much more comfortable than the VSX version. i thought the padding on the VSX was stiffer, and the padding on the VS was much softer was much more comfortable for me, between the 2 of them...

fwiw, look into local shops cause they will most likely have test saddles for both...
Old 08-24-16, 09:57 PM
chipmunkchan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had numbing junk issues with the Arione VS. I then got an Aliante VSx, and it was much better.