Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheelset upgrade - how much $ for a true improvement

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 12:32 PM
Anti404

Bikes: 2015 Scott Solace 30, 2007 CAAD9 Optimo 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

I've picked up a NOS 2015 Scott Solace 30 recently, and though the bike is fairly well specced, the wheels are relatively low-end Shimano RS-11. Despite the lower tier wheels, these things actually seem fairly decent, but heavy and not particularly aerodynamic. I was thinking of upgrading them at some point in the future, but wasn't really sure how much $ would provide a noticeable effect - mostly in terms of weight, as I lug the bike up and down 4 flights of stairs when I take it out. Some combination of aerodynamic + weight improvement would be ideal, but I know those two concepts do not always go hand in hand.

I've looked at ~$300 wheelsets such as the Ultegra 6800, but have a feeling the improvements would be marginal at best. Not sure if looking at ~$500 wheelsets would be any better or not.
Old 10-03-16, 12:42 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Seems like a lot to spend to carry half a pound less up some stairs.

Personally I'd ride the RS11s until they wear out, unless there's some specific issue with them like rubbing the brakes under load or popping spokes regularly ect.
Old 10-03-16, 12:53 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Aerodynamics will only help you coming downstairs when you're going faster, assuming you keep the front wheel pointed forwards.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-03-16, 02:14 PM
Anti404

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan333SP

Personally I'd ride the RS11s until they wear out, unless there's some specific issue with them like rubbing the brakes under load or popping spokes regularly ect.
I didn't plan to replace them any time soon, just in the future I wondered what would be a good amount to spend as an upgrade. I have Kysrium Elite on my CAAD9 and they are noticeably stiffer and lighter.

Aside from wheelset, there isn't really anything worth upgrading on this bike as most of it is mid-level or so. Maybe the handlebars to reduce some road buzz, but then I'd have to re-tape and such, which I don't have interest in at the moment.
Old 10-03-16, 02:24 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I think it's worthwhile to have two sets of wheels even if the two are fairly comparable.
Old 10-03-16, 02:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'd look at some ground floor storage space.
Old 10-03-16, 02:30 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Wheel weight reduction is dirt cheap. You can get to 1,250 g at Bike Hub Store for $300-400 built.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-03-16, 02:38 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Approximate wheelset prices:
Light: $500
Aero: $1000
Light & Aero: $1500 (ignoring the $500 wheelsets from China because you have rims brakes)
Old 10-03-16, 08:37 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Here:

1,060 gram wheelset for $300. Tubulars of course. It is not possible to obtain light weight, aero and strength with clinchers, due to the inherent limitations of the clincher rim design.
Old 10-03-16, 09:34 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Wheel weight reduction is dirt cheap. You can get to 1,250 g at Bike Hub Store for $300-400 built.
Are the rims you would recommend in this tubeless compatible?
Old 10-03-16, 09:58 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP

Yeah, if the Shimanos spoke tension are worked a little by a good builder and the hubs are really adjusted well (most shimano wheels I know are loose bearing/adjustable cone). They can be made to ride very nicely. 20 minutes of tweaking in the hands of a good builder will really improve the RS11s.

Depending on your size, wheel upgrades can vary.

Personal experience tells me the Ultegra 6800/6700 are a great value and to beat them would mean well above the $500 price point. I have a bunch of wheelsets and the wheels I go to for speed, solid build and ride, are a set of Jones Precision Wheels or HED bastogne and Ardennes. The Jones were actually less cost than the HEDs...
tires do make a big difference
Old 10-04-16, 02:51 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Personal experience tells me the Ultegra 6800/6700 are a great value and to beat them would mean well above the $500 price point.
not at all, the RS-81's are the next step up and they can be had for less than $500 for the 24's. they're about 150 grams less than the 6800's, and they're also tubeless ready like the 6800's...

also, if the OP wants an entry level aero wheel without breaking the bank, the Mavic Cosmic Elites are in stock and can be had for $323 at PBK after the Mavic 10% off promo code. sure, they're 1770 grams, but that's still about 100 grams lighter than his current wheelset and they're a 30mm profile wheel which is perfect for not getting blown around during strong crosswinds...
Old 10-04-16, 05:56 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by garciawork
Are the rims you would recommend in this tubeless compatible?
Not the ones I specifically have in mind. But you can get a set of tubeless compatible wheels for 1,450 g. Keep in mind these have to be built locally as I don't think BHS is building wheels at this time, just supplying the parts. Stans rims and American Classics are even lighter if just a bit more expensive.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-04-16, 06:51 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I don't think the money spent on wheels would be justifiable from a speed perspective.

Before wheels, I'd go with:

tighter/aero jersey
aero helmet
aero handlebars (chinese knockoff, Zipp Sl 70 Aero, 3T aeronova, Sworks Aerofly, Cervelo S5 bar, etc).

I think all three of those have a bigger bang for the buck than 500 dollar wheels.
Old 10-04-16, 06:54 AM
rubiksoval

What's the build for these?

1250 for a clincher... That's impressive but also getting down into territory in which I'd be concerned about stiffness and durability for someone over 150 lbs.
Old 10-04-16, 07:15 AM
Anti404

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all. I was thinking the $300-500 range would be where I should start looking. Honestly, as someone above mentioned, I like having two sets of wheels, as I can keep one for indoor-trainer/backup use; that being said, I also have a lot of money in my "hobby" fund to play around with, so I figured if/when I do end up buying a second set, it may as well be an improvement over the current wheels. As I mentioned, weight is paramount to aerodynamics, for me, so even though 1/2 lb may not be much, it is an improvement, at least when lugging the bike around.

I find it odd I sort of have to justify why I want to spend my own money on something I enjoy, but you forum members can be an odd bunch.
Old 10-04-16, 07:31 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
It is not possible to obtain light weight, aero and strength with clinchers, due to the inherent limitations of the clincher rim design.
Yes it is. It's just not cheap. The phrase, "Light, strong, cheap - pick two" applies to clinchers too.
Old 10-04-16, 10:50 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
not at all, the RS-81's are the next step up and they can be had for less than $500 for the 24's. they're about 150 grams less than the 6800's, and they're also tubeless ready like the 6800's...

also, if the OP wants an entry level aero wheel without breaking the bank, the Mavic Cosmic Elites are in stock and can be had for $323 at PBK after the Mavic 10% off promo code. sure, they're 1770 grams, but that's still about 100 grams lighter than his current wheelset and they're a 30mm profile wheel which is perfect for not getting blown around during strong crosswinds...
don;t really have any personal time on the RS81s, and dependin what you read - RS81 = 1740g, 6800 = 1640g
I have ridden the C24s, and find them v-nice, but they are quite a bit different price point and the rim cross-section/shape seems oldschool Mavic (which doesn't bug me...)
can't say I've ridden the Cosmic Elites, so no comment on any newer MAvics.

The SHimano wheels are about the only wheels I would consider (for myself) under the 23mm width. I have a bunch of wheelsets in the older 19 and under range which are getting sold. They're all good stuff, but for me any new money spent on wheels would have to go to 23+.
Old 10-04-16, 11:03 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
What's the build for these?

1250 for a clincher... That's impressive but also getting down into territory in which I'd be concerned about stiffness and durability for someone over 150 lbs.
Bike Hub Store hubs at around 280 g/pr, Kinlin XR-200 rims, Sapim Laser or CX-Ray spokes with alloy nipples, 20/24 holes. The CX-Rays and the Lasers weigh the same, but the CX-Rays would blow the budget. I weigh 165-170 lb and have never had a problem with the wheels. I don't notice differences in stiffness so I can't comment about that. Durability is not a concern for me. I build my own and don't mind repairing and/or replacing them. I ride them a few thousand miles, sell them, and build some new ones. No problems to date.

My tubulars weigh 999 g for the pair. Superb.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-04-16, 11:14 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rs81's are 1504 grams. They're a dura ace rim with ultegra hubs. Not a bad wheelset. I've been running them for around 1000 miles with vittoria open corsas and latex tubes. I've also had Reynolds r4's with are 42mm (I think) carbon clinchers that weighed 1570 I think. Reynolds are a grand, I scored the rs81's for around 380 with performance when they had a big sale.

I'm 208 lbs at 6ft tall and I'm a stand and pound climber and I'm very happy with the shimano wheels. Granted it's only 1000 miles but I'm heavy and fairly strong and I've had no issues with them. The Reynolds were great as well but I got rid of them for reasons I now can't determine (seemed like a good idea at the time). For the price and weight I love the rs81 wheels. On long flats running 22+ MPH or so you can tell a difference when you look back at ride data. The aero wheels do help a bit but for what you're wanting I'd jump on the rs81's if you have to have wheels.
Old 10-04-16, 11:23 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to catch hell for this, but here you go:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultr...608.0.0.iqIdUt

Price has gone up since I bought mine for $304.90 delivered for 50mm clinchers custom built. I've had a couple friends order them too. Nice finish, true (still haven't had to true them) and decent weight.

Just at 1000 miles now so pretty soon to really tell, but no complaints yet. I'm hard on wheels and most cheap wheels fail before 1200 miles. We'll see.
Old 10-04-16, 12:19 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Anti404
Thanks all. I was thinking the $300-500 range would be where I should start looking. Honestly, as someone above mentioned, I like having two sets of wheels, as I can keep one for indoor-trainer/backup use; that being said, I also have a lot of money in my "hobby" fund to play around with, so I figured if/when I do end up buying a second set, it may as well be an improvement over the current wheels. As I mentioned, weight is paramount to aerodynamics, for me, so even though 1/2 lb may not be much, it is an improvement, at least when lugging the bike around.

I find it odd I sort of have to justify why I want to spend my own money on something I enjoy, but you forum members can be an odd bunch.
Most people upgrade their bike for the purpose of going fast typically fall into a trap: they would start with weight reduction (the oohing and aahing from their friends when they pick up the bike is irresistible). But after awhile, they quickly realize that the weight reduction has very little bearing on going fast unless they are always climbing (and not much descending). So they will inevitably end up with going aero even if that means weight penalty.

So don't fall into that trap. Go aero now even if it's heavier.
Old 10-04-16, 12:51 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezen
don;t really have any personal time on the RS81s, and dependin what you read - RS81 = 1740g, 6800 = 1640g
I have ridden the C24s, and find them v-nice, but they are quite a bit different price point and the rim cross-section/shape seems oldschool Mavic (which doesn't bug me...)
can't say I've ridden the Cosmic Elites, so no comment on any newer MAvics.

The SHimano wheels are about the only wheels I would consider (for myself) under the 23mm width. I have a bunch of wheelsets in the older 19 and under range which are getting sold. They're all good stuff, but for me any new money spent on wheels would have to go to 23+.
not sure where you got that number for the RS-81's, but also keep in mind there are 4 different versions:

the c24-CL clincher (not tubeless ready) - 1502 grams
the c24-TL clincher (tubeless ready) - 1537 grams
the c35 clincher - 1689 grams
the c50 clincher - 1908 grams

the RS81-C24-TL wheelset is basically the dura-ace rim laced to the ultegra hub, how would they weigh more than the Ultegra 6800 wheelset?!
Old 10-04-16, 01:08 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I don't think the money spent on wheels would be justifiable from a speed perspective.

Before wheels, I'd go with:

tighter/aero jersey
aero helmet
aero handlebars (chinese knockoff, Zipp Sl 70 Aero, 3T aeronova, Sworks Aerofly, Cervelo S5 bar, etc).

I think all three of those have a bigger bang for the buck than 500 dollar wheels.
The handlebars point is interesting as that is something I've been thinking of for an equipment upgrade, and my teammates love reminding me that i'm bleeding watts. Are your thoughts on their worth anecdotal or data driven?
Old 10-04-16, 01:34 PM
rubiksoval

Bike Hub Store hubs at around 280 g/pr, Kinlin XR-200 rims, Sapim Laser or CX-Ray spokes with alloy nipples, 20/24 holes. The CX-Rays and the Lasers weigh the same, but the CX-Rays would blow the budget. I weigh 165-170 lb and have never had a problem with the wheels. I don't notice differences in stiffness so I can't comment about that. Durability is not a concern for me. I build my own and don't mind repairing and/or replacing them. I ride them a few thousand miles, sell them, and build some new ones. No problems to date.

My tubulars weigh 999 g for the pair. Superb.

That's awesome. Thanks for the response! I've built up a pair of H Plus Sons with the BHS hubs and I really like them. Looking for another build so will definitely take this into consideration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.