Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why are most wheelsets the way they are?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 10:50 PM
ZMC888
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a high mileage rider (about to go ride right now btw) about 400kms a week and 170 pounds (79kg). Thing is I always absolutely trash my rear wheels, they go out of true, get dinged, spokes can come undone nipples can get torn through the rim wheel bearings destroyed freehub body gouged to pieces etc.

But the front wheels...all pristine, not a scratch mark or dent, barely any sign of wear in fact.

So I'm confused? Why don't more manufacturers increase the amount of spokes on the back wheel? Instead of 24/24, why not 18/32, 16/32, or 12/36 even. Why do they make the spoke count match each wheel, just aesthetics? Weight? handling characteristics?

Also why aren't there more rear wheels available to buy a single purchases? With tires even, motorcycles MTB and road bikes I often buy three, 2 for the rear and one front seem to last about right as I always seem to wear out the rear twice as fast, for me at least.

Last edited by ZMC888; 10-20-16 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 11:20 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
You know, you can buy the rims, spokes (and nipples) and hubs that you like and get your own wheel built how you need it. If you are constantly destroying your rear wheel then that would probably be the best thing to do.
Old 10-20-16, 11:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Front wheels have always outlasted rear wheels, and the reality is that even if there was a massive difference in strength, fronts would still outlast rears.

Building lighter duty fronts isn't a new idea. For decades until sometime in the late sixties, the Brits were using 32/40 spokes as SOP, while those on the continent were building 36/36. Later on 32/32 became the norm for everybody.

However many high end wheels, do come with fewer spokes in front, and it's pretty much the norm in that category.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-21-16, 01:23 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a. not all wheels have a matching front and rear spoke count, some are 16/20, 20/24, 24/28, ect...

b. you wouldn't use the same spokes on say a 32 or 36 spoke rear wheel that you would a 16 or 20 spoke front wheel. the higher count spoke wheels usually use a thinner gauge spoke while the lower count spoke wheels usually use a thicker gauge spoke, which is one of the reasons (other than the hub) why a set of 36/36 Mavic Open Pro's can weigh the same as a set of out of the box 16/20 Shimano wheels.

c. obviously custom built wheels will last longer than out of the box wheelsets, so have a set made for exactly how you ride. i mean really, just get a set of Mavic Open Pro 36-spoke rims and lace them to a pair of Ultegra 6800 hubs with either Wheelsmith or DT Swiss spokes laced 3-cross front and rear, mission pretty much accomplished. if that doesn't work for you, i don't know what to tell you, cause i'm about 240# and i used that set up with Dura-Ace hubs for well over 5000 miles over 5 years ago and i never had to true them once after they were built...
Old 10-21-16, 01:56 AM
ZMC888
Banned.

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
a. not all wheels have a matching front and rear spoke count, some are 16/20, 20/24, 24/28, ect...

b. you wouldn't use the same spokes on say a 32 or 36 spoke rear wheel that you would a 16 or 20 spoke front wheel. the higher count spoke wheels usually use a thinner gauge spoke while the lower count spoke wheels usually use a thicker gauge spoke, which is one of the reasons (other than the hub) why a set of 36/36 Mavic Open Pro's can weigh the same as a set of out of the box 16/20 Shimano wheels.

c. obviously custom built wheels will last longer than out of the box wheelsets, so have a set made for exactly how you ride. i mean really, just get a set of Mavic Open Pro 36-spoke rims and lace them to a pair of Ultegra 6800 hubs with either Wheelsmith or DT Swiss spokes laced 3-cross front and rear, mission pretty much accomplished. if that doesn't work for you, i don't know what to tell you, cause i'm about 240# and i used that set up with Dura-Ace hubs for well over 5000 miles over 5 years ago and i never had to true them once after they were built...
Thanks, I'll probably try this.
Old 10-21-16, 02:29 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Custom built wheels are not obviously better than "out of the box" wheels. They are not necessarily better, and often are not better at all.
Old 10-21-16, 02:44 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Got to love this: "Have a set made for exactly how you ride. I mean really, just get a set made exactly like the one that was made for me, even though we don't weigh anywhere near the same and probably don't ride similarly."
Old 10-21-16, 05:33 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
OP, despite your high mileage, your rear wheels should not be so badly damaged. It sounds to me like you may ride "heavily". By that I mean that you stay heavily seated through all the road hazards you encounter rather than rising up and using your legs as springs to cushion your ride. Also it is imperative to avoid hazards as much as possible. Then there is sufficient tire pressure. It is necessary to protect your rims against damage from road hazards. The first wear that careful riders see on a set of wheels is often just the thinning of the brake track from long use. Examine your riding habits and style and see if that could be the cause of your problems.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 10-21-16 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 05:35 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

It is often said that if you have the same number of spokes in the front and rear, then either the front has too many or the rear has too few. It is up to you to decide which is the case. I haven't ridden a set of wheels with the same number of spokes front and back for decades.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-21-16, 05:40 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by chaadster
Custom built wheels are not obviously better than "out of the box" wheels. They are not necessarily better, and often are not better at all.
How can that be? EVERYONE knows otherwise! Next thing you are going to say is that custom frames are not necessarily better than stock ones. Ha, ha, ha!

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-21-16, 05:40 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ZMC888
Serious answer - because other people don't destroy rear wheels like you do.

If you want beefier rears, buy a hub, some spokes, a rim, and put it together.
Old 10-21-16, 05:41 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX

Actually you've got it wrong. Usually the lightest spokes are used in the smallest numbers. Go figure.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-21-16, 06:21 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Actually you've got it wrong. Usually the lightest spokes are used in the smallest numbers. Go figure.
Yes, and that has always perplexed me. It was the "out of the box" guys, driving the "wheel as a system" concept, who got it first, spec'ing proprietary, wide spokes in low counts on slotted hubs, later mixing in features like dual flange height and straight pull spokes.

It was a long time ago that craftsmanship was the prime differentiator in wheels, but in the modern era, engineering and design tech has put a big gap between the best crafted wheels, and the "out of the box" builders have an undeniable advantage in that regard.
Old 10-21-16, 07:47 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
they go out of true
Because of road hazards or loose spokes or both? The former is all on you. Road bikes aren't tanks. The latter should not be an issue on a properly built wheel but I'm sure it happens. On a pre-built wheel, I see it all the time. Catch it as early as you can, like before you even start riding the wheel. Or, as soon as you see the wheel go out of true, have an experienced builder go over and even out the tensions. I'm of similar weight and have put 25,000+ miles on a hand built rear wheel (my own build) using all weight weenie parts aside from 32 spokes, and never once had to true it.

get dinged,
Avoid road hazards.

spokes can come undone
See above. Make sure the wheel is properly tensioned before riding it

nipples can get torn through the rim
Are you using eyeletted rims? Brass nipples?

wheel bearings destroyed
Wear or contamination? My highest mileage hubs with cartridge bearings still spin perfectly and they get used in all sorts of weather.

freehub body gouged to pieces
Don't use cheap aluminum Shimano-splined freehubs. American Classic has the best gouge protection design I've seen but others have at least some protection now, too. Campagnolo cassettes and freehubs have far more engagement and are probably the best solution. With 11 speed shifters, you can use any brand cassette so perhaps it's a route you should consider.
Old 10-21-16, 08:18 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Why don't more manufacturers increase the amount of spokes on the back wheel?
Because it is cheaper for them to build with fewer spokes (more profit and or cost competitiveness), and the general public has willingly and thoroughly embraced the idea that this is better. Not much in the ways of wheels these days is very rational as far as the buying public is concerned. Vanity rules to a large extent and the manufacturers try to provide what the buyers want.
Old 10-21-16, 08:29 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Because it is cheaper for them to build with fewer spokes (more profit and or cost competitiveness), and the general public has willingly and thoroughly embraced the idea that this is better. Not much in the ways of wheels these days is very rational as far as the buying public is concerned. Vanity rules to a large extent and the manufacturers try to provide what the buyers want.
Counterpoint: 1.1 | Trek Bikes

Probably the best selling road bike given the brand name and price tag. 32 spokes F/R

If you only go looking for ultra-low spoke count wheelsets, that's probably all you'll find. But I'd argue that there are more sensibly built wheelsets sold every day than anything else.
Old 10-21-16, 10:21 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
CK hub, 28H or 32H Kinlin XC279 rim, CX-Ray spokes. Never another problem.
Old 10-21-16, 10:28 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951

Don't use cheap aluminum Shimano-splined freehubs. American Classic has the best gouge protection design I've seen but others have at least some protection now, too. Campagnolo cassettes and freehubs have far more engagement and are probably the best solution. With 11 speed shifters, you can use any brand cassette so perhaps it's a route you should consider.
If OP is stuck with cheap freehubs, there's a bit of a workaround for that where you sand down the gouges and cut tiny strips of metal to protect the edges of the splines. It's a PITA to get everything to stay in place, but it can be a cheap fix for an otherwise expensive problem.
Old 10-21-16, 11:13 AM
linsdog

Bikes: 2015 Wilier Cento 1 Air, 2014 Trek Remedy 8 27.5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
170 pounds (79kg)
New Math strikes again...
Old 10-21-16, 12:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The Enves I'm about to buy are 24 spokes front and rear. I would guess having more spokes in the rear wheel makes sense, but I'm sure Enve knows more about wheel building than I do. I chose the wheels because of the way they perform and for their strength, leaving the details up to the builder.
Old 10-21-16, 12:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Front wheels have always outlasted rear wheels, and the reality is that even if there was a massive difference in strength, fronts would still outlast rears.

Building lighter duty fronts isn't a new idea. For decades until sometime in the late sixties, the Brits were using 32/40 spokes as SOP, while those on the continent were building 36/36. Later on 32/32 became the norm for everybody.

However many high end wheels, do come with fewer spokes in front, and it's pretty much the norm in that category.
One thing I've learned from the Rene Herse book is that its eponymous builder was playing around with 28/36 spoked wheelsets in the late 1930s.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-21-16, 12:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Why don't more manufacturers increase the amount of spokes on the back wheel?

"they" do but Roadies are usually trend driven and so the latest thing is what the sellers Promote ..
they Know the customer behavior.. and play with it.

I recall reading cycling news .. at the start of the Paris-Roubaix Race, they were seemingly surprised to find one of the competitors starting out on a set of 32 spoke 3 cross , Ambrosio hard anodized Rims, Sew Ups of course ..

and the brake track wear thru the dark anodizing suggested this was not the first time Use of those wheels ..

But maybe their Paying Sponsors did not have a Wheel set they wanted to prove By having them ridden
in that race over those famous ancient cobbled roads ,

so the team mechanics took out what had proven to work before.

'/,
Old 10-21-16, 12:38 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
It is often said that if you have the same number of spokes in the front and rear, then either the front has too many or the rear has too few.
Wisdom.

On my rain road bike, I have 32 spokes on the front, and 36 on the rear.

In addition, I use heavier duty rims and tires on the rear. So a 23mm race tire on the front, and a 25 or 28mm Gatorskin on the rear. The rear rim is about 100 grams beefier than the front.
Old 10-21-16, 03:32 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
OP, despite your high mileage, your rear wheels should not be so badly damaged. It sounds to me like you may ride "heavily". By that I mean that you stay heavily seated through all the road hazards you encounter rather than rising up and using your legs as springs to cushion your ride. Also it is imperative to avoid hazards as much as possible. Then there is sufficient tire pressure. It is necessary to protect your rims against damage from road hazards. The first wear that careful riders see on a set of wheels is often just the thinning of the brake track from long use. Examine your riding habits and style and see if that could be the cause of your problems.
Or he could be one of those riders who takes pride in how hard they are on their equipment.

Anyone who has wrenched will know what I mean...
Old 10-21-16, 03:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
but I'm sure Enve knows more about wheel building than I do.

And does that give you Enve envy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.