Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-23, 08:30 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
tough break bampilot06 and phrantic09. Do either of you guys have any specific goals you are riding towards like a race or event? Having a specific training plan in place can help to create some motivation, and the natural ebb and flow of riding that ensues.

In the absence of that, trying to just hold some level of fitness and volume with strictly solo training at o'dark 30 sounds pretty tough, I think almost anyone would have trouble remaining motivated with that.

For me, I am not really thinking of that and just trying to prevent my legs from withering away. I have written away the 2024 race season and will still remain involved with my club as a volunteer, not a racer so much. Don't see myself leaving for 5-10+ weekends to go race while she is so little. Maybe in a year from now I will be in a good place to actually train.

Fortunately I do enjoy the trainer and am content just doing that when I can. datlas long rides will happen only when we have family visiting to help support mom while I sneak out - like today (at the parents). I do not think 5-6 hours is wise though given that I am still having to wake up twice per night and I need to work tomorrow. I'll go for 3-3.5.
Old 10-29-23, 08:35 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

phrantic09 the hazards of the road (mostly motorists) are a lot of what motivated me to get a smart trainer in 2020.

My understanding is that San Diego has somewhat less hostile motorists than much of the rest of the country, but that doesn't mean that it isn't still a danger around here too. I wish you luck and hope you can find some peace from that on your next several rides.
Old 10-29-23, 08:37 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
The lake has a lot more water than last year.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-29-23, 08:37 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by big john
I've had those feelings and what helps me is to ride off road. There is also a nice network of bike paths not far from home. I like to choose road routes that don't have too many cars but doing club rides means sticking to the route.

It seems to me that over the last 30+ years drivers are more tolerant of cyclists in SoCal. Not too many screaming idiots yelling at us and they haven't been throwing things at us lately. Still, I sometimes go for a while riding off road only. If I knew more people who would do it regularly I would ride gravel or mountain bikes most of the time.
Off road is also a great choice for that reason. It has it's own set of hazards though for riding super early in the dark. You need kickass lights with a wide spread and high lumen.
Old 10-29-23, 08:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
interesting I can type that but not ass holes.

Where is the censor?
As a long-time student and critic of the censor, I can tell you the censor is ******** (stupid). It’s easy to circumvent like you did by separating the word into its two parts.

I certainly can accept them filtering out clearly inflammatory words like the N word and the C word, and possibly even the F word. OTOH in some English speaking countries the word crap could be more offensive than the SH word which we can’t say. That’s dumb. And I cannot say our species, **** sapiens.

Bottom line is the censor filter is a very blunt instrument and I wish we could post using the full extent of our rich and occasionally pungent English language, but obviously I must accept this even though it’s mierda.
Old 10-29-23, 08:53 AM
big john

Originally Posted by TMonk
Off road is also a great choice for that reason. It has it's own set of hazards though for riding super early in the dark. You need kickass lights with a wide spread and high lumen.
Haven't done any dirt riding in the dark in many years. When I did, we had a nice group and would stick to known trails and fire roads. Good times.

Retired for 4 years now and can ride whenever I want so I don't have to try and get miles in. Too bad I'm old and getting decrepit.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-29-23, 09:40 AM
big john

Really wanted to do some flat spinning on the bike path today but it's windy a/f with 55mph gusts predicted out there. Guess I'll take the mtb and cruise around the neighborhood.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-29-23, 09:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Did our usual Sunday recovery ride despite some sprinkles. We stopped at a shortcut option and saw some green globs approaching on the radar so we decided to take the shortcut. Mrs datlas even volunteered to pick me up so it all worked out.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-29-23, 09:52 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Same here with lack of riding. I used to love racing and group rides, but now, after retiring and having a bunch of heart and lung issues, I'd be lucky if my FTP is 100. I'm doing the Tour of Watopia and am usually the Lanterne Rouge. It's depressing looking at my garage full of road bikes and not having enough ambition to go outside and use them.
Old 10-29-23, 09:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Same here with lack of riding. I used to love racing and group rides, but now, after retiring and having a bunch of heart and lung issues, I'd be lucky if my FTP is 100. I'm doing the Tour of Watopia and am usually the Lanterne Rouge. It's depressing looking at my garage full of road bikes and not having enough ambition to go outside and use them.
E-bike? I consider it the nuclear option but you might be a candidate for one. I mean the type you MUST PEDAL but gives you some assistance.
Old 10-29-23, 09:54 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
We went to the gym after the snow pushed our long runs to yesterday; AG swam outdoors and I did lifting/ PT.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 10-29-23, 10:40 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
phrantic09 the hazards of the road (mostly motorists) are a lot of what motivated me to get a smart trainer in 2020.

My understanding is that San Diego has somewhat less hostile motorists than much of the rest of the country, but that doesn't mean that it isn't still a danger around here too. I wish you luck and hope you can find some peace from that on your next several rides.
You also have some nice places to ride where the traffic speed is low. Mission Bay for example or out by the lighthouse.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-29-23, 10:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
It’s hard for me to push myself when I am solo all the time, it’s pitch black where I ride so intervals and sprints are out of the question, some areas are straight creepy. Keep expecting to hear that I have a pretty mouth followed by banjos. Lack of cars is nice, but if I have a mechanical I would be Fd. I am usually still asleep the first 10 miles or so. I would say the past month it’s gone from, I want to ride to I have to ride which takes the pleasure from it. I’m scared if I stop I won’t start back up. I am a man of routine and structure and discipline (except for ice cream).
I hesitate to mention this, but is it possible you're experiencing Overtraining Syndrome? I remember reading that, paradoxically, for cyclists one symptom can be excessive - or obsessive - bike lust. Combine that with the general fatigue and the feeling like you've been sick for months, and that you're working harder to go the same speed, or not progressing. If so, it's not one of those things you can push through. It's almost November. Maybe lighten up for a while.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-29-23, 10:53 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I hesitate to mention this, but is it possible you're experiencing Overtraining Syndrome? I remember reading that, paradoxically, for cyclists one symptom can be excessive - or obsessive - bike lust. Combine that with the general fatigue and the feeling like you've been sick for months, and that you're working harder to go the same speed, or not progressing. If so, it's not one of those things you can push through. It's almost November. Maybe lighten up for a while.

Could be, but I feel that I keep riding less and less, I don’t get it.
Old 10-29-23, 11:21 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Could be, but I feel that I keep riding less and less, I don’t get it.
It may be harder to overcome, unfortunately. I don't know from personal experience because I've never pushed myself hard enough to overtrain, but there was one year when I'd done a LOT of riding, including group rides with PenVelo every Saturday and Sunday for most of the year, and after the usual winter break, I just didn't start up again in the spring. I think there was a year or so when I didn't ride at all. Since then I ride solo, because that works for me. I don't think I was overtrained but I think I was burned out on group riding, which I don't find all that relaxing, both because of having to be social, and the anxiety about causing a crash, or conversely about crashing because of something somebody else does.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-29-23, 11:28 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
interesting I can type that but not ass holes.

Where is the censor?
but not h___y
Old 10-29-23, 11:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
but not h___y
Honey? Horny??
Old 10-29-23, 11:40 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by datlas
As a long-time student and critic of the censor, I can tell you the censor is ******** (stupid). It’s easy to circumvent like you did by separating the word into its two parts.

I certainly can accept them filtering out clearly inflammatory words like the N word and the C word, and possibly even the F word. OTOH in some English speaking countries the word crap could be more offensive than the SH word which we can’t say. That’s dumb. And I cannot say our species, **** sapiens.

Bottom line is the censor filter is a very blunt instrument and I wish we could post using the full extent of our rich and occasionally pungent English language, but obviously I must accept this even though it’s mierda.
I was once told we are not.aloud to post in Spanish. A Spanish speaker posted in C&V and I replied in kind. And got my wrist slapped.
Old 10-29-23, 11:45 AM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by genejockey
It may be harder to overcome, unfortunately. I don't know from personal experience because I've never pushed myself hard enough to overtrain, but there was one year when I'd done a LOT of riding, including group rides with PenVelo every Saturday and Sunday for most of the year, and after the usual winter break, I just didn't start up again in the spring. I think there was a year or so when I didn't ride at all. Since then I ride solo, because that works for me. I don't think I was overtrained but I think I was burned out on group riding, which I don't find all that relaxing, both because of having to be social, and the anxiety about causing a crash, or conversely about crashing because of something somebody else does.
I burn out on group riding at ten minutes in.
#grouch
Old 10-29-23, 11:46 AM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by datlas
Honey? Horny??
ky
Old 10-29-23, 11:47 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8843 Post(s)
Liked 2,989 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
After yesterday, shoveling in 20* in a fleece feels toasty.
Did I ever mention that I have an awesome shovel?
Old 10-29-23, 11:55 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I was once told we are not.aloud to post in Spanish. A Spanish speaker posted in C&V and I replied in kind. And got my wrist slapped.
¿Verdad? Ésto también es mierda.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-29-23, 11:56 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

ky
I know. I was trying to be cute.
Old 10-29-23, 01:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

So about 8 years ago a local woman started to ride with my club. She was quite strong, a smidge stronger than me and on level with some of the stronger riders in my club. She was in the area only a year or two and then moved to the DC area, but I still follow her on Strava. I see she has won several gran fondos and made lots of QOMs, including Alto de Letras in Colombia.

Looks like she won the Dirty Dozen in Pittsburgh yesterday.

Impressive.
Old 10-29-23, 01:28 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
but not h___y
RMOT

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.