Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 01:56 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Rode the bike trail from Cape May Courthouse and then picked up roads into the town of Cape May. Pretty tiring.
Cape May was pretty darn crowded for late October, thanks to the weather.
You see many birders around? Cape May is a crucial thoroughfare for migrating raptors.
Old 10-30-23, 02:26 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I've had decks at four houses and I hate staining and maintaining them so at our current house, we had the deck ripped off and replaced with a stone patio. It's 4' off the ground and steps down to a similar patio about a foot off of the ground.

Bet you can't wait for those arborvitae to grow another 6 feet or so.

Just last week my neighbor had 4 humongous trees removed from her property. The one seen here on its way to the chipper provided a really good screen between me and other neighbors. But no more.

Old 10-30-23, 02:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
So, I ran the 880, the 1760, and the 3520.
Kudos!
Old 10-30-23, 02:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Cat bubbles should be more common in aquariums.

Old 10-30-23, 02:39 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
above budget.
Budget schmudget.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-30-23, 02:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
You see many birders around? Cape May is a crucial thoroughfare for migrating raptors.
No. I went into the commercial/residential part of town. Saw a lot of cute dogs.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-30-23, 02:49 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Todays Starbucks dogs. Not a great shot, I was sneaky snapping it to avoid suspicion.

Old 10-30-23, 02:50 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

It's a little chilly up here. On the drive up, once I got above 5000 feet elevation I kept looking down to see if my AC was on. Eventually wussed out and added some heat to the mix.
Old 10-30-23, 02:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Do they "pull over" autos on their bikes?

I see bikes may be faster than foot or car for some parts of downtown, but there's only so much you can do with them.
In Cape May, NJ I saw cops riding e-bikes. It’s that sort of town. $$$$.

In center city Philly I saw cops on bikes catch a shoplifter.
Old 10-30-23, 03:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts

Just last week my neighbor had 4 humongous trees removed from her property. The one seen here on its way to the chipper provided a really good screen between me and other neighbors. But no more.

When Mom and Dad bought The Ancestral Home, the yard backed onto a field which was planted some years with corn, some with barley, some with wheat. Beyond that, there was a small creek with trees on either bank, and then an orchard. 20-some years ago, the farmer sold the field to a developer who put houses back there, so Dad planted a screen of Arborvitae, and some blue spruces. The spruces thrived for a while but then died, but the arborvitae is(are?) still going strong.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-30-23, 03:01 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
What’s available in steel? Asking for a friend.
Hey! I'm not giving up yet! (5 speed Peugeot, 7 speed Specialized Allez Comp, and 8 speed Lemond Nevada City)
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 10-30-23, 03:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Todays Starbucks dogs. Not a great shot, I was sneaky snapping it to avoid suspicion.

Gotta be careful, surreptitiously snapping photos below table level. You could get arrested.

Old 10-30-23, 03:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
well nuts...
Put the spring in the shifter and it seems to work. Put it back on the handlebar but don't want to tighten the rear derailleur cable until I get the wheel back on. Took the rings off the crankset and the old crankset that I am salvaging the big ring from.

The crank I've been using for 2 years is an 11 speed and the bike is 10 speed. Today I learned the 11 speed small ring has threaded holes, unlike the 10 speed which uses nuts like every other crankset I have had. I guess it doesn't matter which small ring style shows up since I have the hardware for each but I can see someone getting surprised. As far as I can tell the big rings are identical and the arms look to be as well.

This has been my experience with Campagnolo. Nobody I have asked seems to know a lot of things that I ask about. I've been pretty lucky with it, though. I might buy it again, even.
Old 10-30-23, 03:15 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Hey! I'm not giving up yet! (5 speed Peugeot, 7 speed Specialized Allez Comp, and 8 speed Lemond Nevada City)
That's the spirit.
Old 10-30-23, 03:27 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Yes. The two on the left died last year and were replaced by the nursery under warranty and the center one died again. Not sure what we are going to replace it with.

Old 10-30-23, 03:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by big john
Put the spring in the shifter and it seems to work. Put it back on the handlebar but don't want to tighten the rear derailleur cable until I get the wheel back on. Took the rings off the crankset and the old crankset that I am salvaging the big ring from.

The crank I've been using for 2 years is an 11 speed and the bike is 10 speed. Today I learned the 11 speed small ring has threaded holes, unlike the 10 speed which uses nuts like every other crankset I have had. I guess it doesn't matter which small ring style shows up since I have the hardware for each but I can see someone getting surprised. As far as I can tell the big rings are identical and the arms look to be as well.

This has been my experience with Campagnolo. Nobody I have asked seems to know a lot of things that I ask about. I've been pretty lucky with it, though. I might buy it again, even.
I've been dissatisfied with the shifting on the Bianchi. It's got 2006 10 speed Veloce. The "click" is a lot quieter and less definite than the 2006 10 speed Chorus on the Battaglin. Also seems to overshift sometimes. I thought maybe the shifter cable was fraying at the Ergo lever end, but I peeled back the hood and looked and nope - looks fine. And of course, it works like a charm on the stand.

Meanwhile, I figured out why the Battaglin sometimes starts shifting like crap below mid-cassette: horizontal dropouts. Yep, when you combine chrome-plated horizontal dropouts with chrome plated, smooth QRs, a big galoot like me can pull the drive side forward just enough to put the wheel askew. So I made rubber washers out of an old inner tube. We'll see if they work.

Old 10-30-23, 03:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I've been dissatisfied with the shifting on the Bianchi. It's got 2006 10 speed Veloce. The "click" is a lot quieter and less definite than the 2006 10 speed Chorus on the Battaglin. Also seems to overshift sometimes. I thought maybe the shifter cable was fraying at the Ergo lever end, but I peeled back the hood and looked and nope - looks fine. And of course, it works like a charm on the stand.

Meanwhile, I figured out why the Battaglin sometimes starts shifting like crap below mid-cassette: horizontal dropouts. Yep, when you combine chrome-plated horizontal dropouts with chrome plated, smooth QRs, a big galoot like me can pull the drive side forward just enough to put the wheel askew. So I made rubber washers out of an old inner tube. We'll see if they work.
I'm not real picky about this stuff. I'm wiling to deal with semi-wonky shifting as long as it actually shifts and doesn't drop the chain. I was riding the Gunnar Saturday and early on a climb the chain got hung between the middle and big rings. Felt like something broke but got going again. Shimano 6600 triple,, actually 6603.

Working on the Seven I'm appalled at the condition of it and how far I have let it go. Hoping this attempt will get it working for a while. Then I should go after the mtb and the Gunnar goes on the back burner again.

I don't know how you keep track of so many bikes and keep them all in good shape.

Oh, and when I've pulled the wheel in horizontal dropouts a new skewer has helped.
Old 10-30-23, 03:56 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Hey I have a question. Not sure anyone knows but worth a try.

On our ride through Lancaster County, we obviously saw lots of small Amish farms. I saw various crops growing which I could identify, including tobacco and numerous vegetables and grains.

But I saw ONE medium size plot of interesting plants. Each plant was 2-3 feet apart, they were green with a LONG green cylindrical stalk that was about 2 feet high, and a floret/wide area at the top of the plant. Total height might be 3 feet tall.

They almost looked like all green miniature palm trees.

Any idea what these things are/were?!?
Old 10-30-23, 04:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I'm not real picky about this stuff. I'm wiling to deal with semi-wonky shifting as long as it actually shifts and doesn't drop the chain. I was riding the Gunnar Saturday and early on a climb the chain got hung between the middle and big rings. Felt like something broke but got going again. Shimano 6600 triple,, actually 6603.

Working on the Seven I'm appalled at the condition of it and how far I have let it go. Hoping this attempt will get it working for a while. Then I should go after the mtb and the Gunnar goes on the back burner again.

I don't know how you keep track of so many bikes and keep them all in good shape.
That assumes I keep them in good shape!

For the vintage bikes, I ride them infrequently and only in good weather, so I haven't had to do much with them. For the modern bikes, I have a reasonably good idea how much mileage each one gets, and when I'm prepping them to ride I check for dirt, dried sports drink, and salt deposits, and when they get too bad I'll wash the 3 or 4 worst ones. After washing, I re-lube the brake and derailleur pivots and the chain, and that gives me a chance to check everything while it's on the stand.

For the bikes I've owned a long time, like the Ritchey, the Battaglin, and the Bianchi, over the last couple years I've done a "refit" on each one - new cables and housing; new bar tape; pull the seatpost and re-grease it; touch up any paint chips. I replaced the bars on all 3, and the stems on the Ritchey and Bianchi - the Ritchey had a Salsa stem that had been recalled and the Bianchi had a bit too much reach.

I also have a feel for how each one works, so if it deviates from that, I check it. That's how I caught the fraying shifter cable on the Canyon. So I replaced the cables, and checked the chain which was JUST at 0.5, so I replaced it, too.

But the great thing about having so many bikes is even if I ride > 6000 miles a year, no one bike gets much more than 2000.

Oh, and when I've pulled the wheel in horizontal dropouts a new skewer has helped.
But these are some beautiful chrome Campy skewers that are just perfect for the Battaglin! Hopefully, the rubber washers work.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-30-23, 04:29 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts

I'm almost betting there's a spread sheet involved...
Old 10-30-23, 04:31 PM
ls01
he said member

6600 was good stuff. I had a couple of the triples and 2 of the doubles. I liked it
Likes For ls01:
Old 10-30-23, 04:44 PM
ls01
he said member

Strange how things work sometimes. I received a notification from ebay about some nonsensical item I wasn't interested in. And I got a "well how about this instead"? A new no box Sram Red 172.5mm bb30 crankarm with removable spider[I hear they are all the rage] (no rings) for $140.00 and 10.00 to ship. That's $100.00 less than the one I bought last week. ...... it'll be here in a couple days....I didnt really want to retire.....
Old 10-30-23, 04:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by ls01
I'm almost betting there's a spread sheet involved...
Well, tbf, I do total up the mileage for each bike in an Excel file. But I don't list the maintenance. Maybe I should.......

Old 10-30-23, 04:53 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Just went for an easy ride around the neighborhood on the checkpoint. Was actually enjoying myself and not doing anything in particular. I love how that bike feels and handles just wish the tires were quicker. So we a loop in my neighborhood, it’s a half a mile long and descents on one straight away slight slope and inclines the other straight away. Sometimes i’ll just go around that over and over anyways, today I am cruising down the straight away downhill going 18 or so, and I see this lady standing on the opposite of the street in the gutter talking to someone. This is right at the turn of the loop, and as I get closer I realize she has a leash in her had but I don’t see a dog, The dog was on the other side of the street in the yard to my right, still on the leash which was in her hand. I locked my breaks up which made a pretty big noise. She screamed and started going off how I should look where I am going. If I was a car the white puff would no longer be with us. She is on one side of this pretty wide road at a blind turn and her dog is on other side of the street. I hate people.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 10-30-23, 04:54 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Tubeless question. My rear tire was about 10 pounds lower than my front tire when I checked the pressure before the ride. Does this mean anything? Does the rear tire need more sealant or something? I’m absolutely clueless about tubeless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.