Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which cycling clothing/gear?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 10:10 AM
franco802

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 2.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pretty new to road cycling gear. I have some cheap performance padded shorts I wore when I would go mountain biking. But I would wear them under my regular shorts and still get chaffing. I haven't rode a bike now in about 3 years and I easily get chaffing.

I purchased my new road bike yesterday, but not picking it up for another week and I am going to buy gear when I pick it up. A friend of mine who is a long time road cyclist told me to spend the money and get some good gear. As well as Vaseline up my entire bottom to avoid chaffing. I don't want to question him, but is he right?

I test road a few bikes yesterday and got chaffing in just a few minutes of riding. Although I was wearing regular underwear and jeans. But still, just a few minutes and I was screwed up already.

I purchased a new Fuji Transonic from Performance and have about $380 of points I will be spending there. Does Performance sell adequate gear? Or do I need to go to a Pearl Izumi store and blow some money there? Thank you in advanced.
Old 04-04-16, 10:41 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by franco802
Pretty new to road cycling gear. I have some cheap performance padded shorts I wore when I would go mountain biking. But I would wear them under my regular shorts and still get chaffing. I haven't rode a bike now in about 3 years and I easily get chaffing.

I purchased my new road bike yesterday, but not picking it up for another week and I am going to buy gear when I pick it up. A friend of mine who is a long time road cyclist told me to spend the money and get some good gear. As well as Vaseline up my entire bottom to avoid chaffing. I don't want to question him, but is he right?

I test road a few bikes yesterday and got chaffing in just a few minutes of riding. Although I was wearing regular underwear and jeans. But still, just a few minutes and I was screwed up already.

I purchased a new Fuji Transonic from Performance and have about $380 of points I will be spending there. Does Performance sell adequate gear? Or do I need to go to a Pearl Izumi store and blow some money there? Thank you in advanced.
Vaseline? No. Just get some decent shorts and bibs, and once you get used to riding, find a saddle that fits. I ride a Brooks B17 and get no chafing. I wear cycling shorts, but I don't lube myself up before riding and I don't chafe.
Old 04-04-16, 10:44 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Decent bibs and no need for Vaseline.
Old 04-04-16, 10:48 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I dunno about Vaseline, but there are plenty of products for greasing up your grundle that help out with the chaffing issue. I prefer DZ Nuts, but others swear by Bag Balm (intended to keep cow udders from chaffing from milking, but also, apparently, helpful for cyclists' asses.

Performance will have a whole shelf of options for you to check out. Butt Buttr is another popular brand. They usually have small sizes that are good for maybe two or three uses. You might consider picking up a few different kinds and trying them out.

I've found that keeping things trimmed up down there can also help (if you're particularly hairy, it can end up being like riding with a couple of brillo pads stuffed into your crotch.) I suggest using maybe a #3 beard/body trimmer guide. Whatever you do, don't SHAVE it all, that's a recipe for getting infected ingrown hairs and all sorts of problems you don't want to think about.

As for shorts, skip the shorts and go straight for a set of BIBS. They're a little more expensive than the shorts, but the additional comfort is well worth it.
Old 04-04-16, 10:52 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure Performance will have some nice cycling kit that works. Chafing might be alleviated with a saddle that fits your specific individual anatomy better. However, you may want to try nice cycling clothing in combination chamois cream or a sports lube in the areas you're experiencing chafing. In the old days chamois cream was to keep the leather chamois pads from drying out and cracking and irritating your skin, but nowadays you apply it to yourself to help avoid chafing.

Cycling shorts, chamois, and saddle preferences are highly individual. What works for me might be torture for you, so you just have to go by trial and error mostly. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.
Old 04-04-16, 10:56 AM
franco802

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!!! Some excellent info already! Some say grease it up and others say don't!! Interesting. I agree with the bibs. First thing that came out of employees mouth at Pearl Izumi and Performance was BIBS!! They told me that the absolute best thing to buy for cycling, is a good set of BIBS.
Old 04-04-16, 11:25 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
My opinions:
1. Chafing in a matter of minutes is not normal. There are lots of things that could be causing the problem, it might have something to do with your bike fit. Often, new cyclists set their saddle too low and put too much weight on their saddle, this becomes uncomfortable very quickly. This is highly, highly driven by personal preference though. You might consider having an experienced cyclist or shop to weigh in your fit.
2. I've found that Vaseline works great as chamois cream. It's not a necessity, though. I really only need it on particularly rainy days.
3. Bibs are superior to shorts but bibs won't help resolve chafing any more than shorts.
4. Performance is fine. I don't like their cuts but the quality is pretty good, especially for the price. They sell Castelli and Pearl Izumi as well. IMO, the European brands like Castelli, Giordana, Sportful, Bioracer, Assos etc are generally the best but they don't come cheap.
5. Cycling clothing is often truly a case of getting what you pay for. Clothing is not the first place I would try to save a few bucks.
6. The above comment that everyone is different is spot on. Getting a shorts/saddle/fit combo that works for you is often a case of trial and error. This can be a lengthy process.
Old 04-04-16, 11:42 AM
franco802

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
My opinions:
1. Chafing in a matter of minutes is not normal. There are lots of things that could be causing the problem, it might have something to do with your bike fit. Often, new cyclists set their saddle too low and put too much weight on their saddle, this becomes uncomfortable very quickly. This is highly, highly driven by personal preference though. You might consider having an experienced cyclist or shop to weigh in your fit.
2. I've found that Vaseline works great as chamois cream. It's not a necessity, though. I really only need it on particularly rainy days.
3. Bibs are superior to shorts but bibs won't help resolve chafing any more than shorts.
4. Performance is fine. I don't like their cuts but the quality is pretty good, especially for the price. They sell Castelli and Pearl Izumi as well. IMO, the European brands like Castelli, Giordana, Sportful, Bioracer, Assos etc are generally the best but they don't come cheap.
5. Cycling clothing is often truly a case of getting what you pay for. Clothing is not the first place I would try to save a few bucks.
6. The above comment that everyone is different is spot on. Getting a shorts/saddle/fit combo that works for you is often a case of trial and error. This can be a lengthy process.
So you must be referring to trying different saddles? That looks like it can get expensive. I guess you have to try what works best from what everyone is saying.
Old 04-04-16, 11:45 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
So you must be referring to trying different saddles? That looks like it can get expensive. I guess you have to try what works best from what everyone is saying.
Pretty much trial and error. Maybe you can find a bike shop that will lend you a saddle, or several saddles so you can try them on extended test rides.
Old 04-04-16, 11:47 AM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I've tried a lot of bibs over the years and Assos are my favorite.

https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/shorts/
Old 04-04-16, 11:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Don't use a non-water soluble lubricant like petroleum jelly.
Old 04-04-16, 11:57 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1
Old 04-04-16, 12:12 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I've had luck with some Merlin Core bib shorts, they're on sale very cheap at Merlin (obviously). The sizing is a little small but I'm 6 235lbs and the XL bibs are good, as are the XL jersey's (short sleeve). I don't have a problem with chafing but I use some body glide stuff I bought at Wal-Mart so perhaps it helps?
Old 04-04-16, 12:15 PM
franco802

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I've had luck with some Merlin Core bib shorts, they're on sale very cheap at Merlin (obviously). The sizing is a little small but I'm 6 235lbs and the XL bibs are good, as are the XL jersey's (short sleeve). I don't have a problem with chafing but I use some body glide stuff I bought at Wal-Mart so perhaps it helps?
I'll check them out. I'm currently 5'9" 232 lbs. But getting down in weight slowly. I think once I add cycling to my regimen, I'll loose weight more quickly.
Old 04-04-16, 12:53 PM
Reality33

Bikes: 2014 Wilier Zero 7, 2015 Trek Émonda S4, 2015 Trek Domane 5.2, 1980 Peugeot PNSM 40, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have said, do not skimp on the clothing. The best wearing and most comfortable clothes I have worn are also the most expensive. Saying that, I would rather spend some extra coin on good clothing then deal with saddle sores and chaffing.

The better brands have excellent quality chamois without stitching that tends to rub and cause these issues. This is one of the most important things to look for IMHO.
I have shorts from the $9 DHB ones from Wiggle to painfully expensive Rapha ones.
I can honestly say that in my life I have noticed that sometimes you get what you pay for but in cycling kit it really is very true.
The cheaper ones tend to allow for about an hour of riding and thats when they give it up and I just can't push on anymore. The expensive ones allow me to ride for hours on end without any issues.

I also like to use Chamois cream. Assos for when it is hot out due to the menthol in it and Morgan Blue hard for when there is a possibility of rain or it is a very long ride.

Try on many types of bibs if you can as you may like some shoulder straps and may not like others.
The brands I am using that are the most comfortable all seem to have chamois made in Italy so it may be something to look for as it appears to be common among the better fitting ones.

Brands I cringe to pay for but love over the years of riding are BioRacer, Assos and Rapha. I have had luck with the Pearl Izumi elite line as well but they just do not seem to fit me 100% and Bontrager's higher end items (RL and above) seem to be quite nice too.
Old 04-05-16, 09:19 AM
dcwldct

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually really like the Performance house brand shorts. Would I wear them for a long, intense ride? No. However, they happen to fit me really well and are more than adequate for a typical training ride.

As has been mentioned above, it's all about personal fit and preference.
Old 04-05-16, 09:32 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by dcwldct
I actually really like the Performance house brand shorts. Would I wear them for a long, intense ride? No. However, they happen to fit me really well and are more than adequate for a typical training ride.
I've also found the Ultras to be pretty good. I will say that Performance can't seem to be consistent with these bibs. Every time PB redesigns these bibs, they're entirely different than the previous version. Several years ago, the version with the "waffle" fabric an lack of leg grippers was very durable but didn't fit very well and tended to shift around.. The next version with the smooth fabric, wide and super grippy leg bands and blue chamois was very tight fitting (even on a skinny person like me) and comfortable but not very durable. I see they have a new version out now for 2016 that again looks entirely different.
Old 04-05-16, 10:46 AM
martslc

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The performance ultra's are pretty good but I haven't owned many brands. They do have different versions. This one was good that I just ripped up in a wreck. I bought another pair but were not the "SL" Ultra's and the chamios is blue and not as good. Now for 2016 they have a new one again and they say it's better but I don't know.
Old 04-05-16, 01:55 PM
Hoonigan

Bikes: Litespeed M3, Trek Fuel EX7, Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!!! Some excellent info already! Some say grease it up and others say don't!! Interesting. I agree with the bibs. First thing that came out of employees mouth at Pearl Izumi and Performance was BIBS!! They told me that the absolute best thing to buy for cycling, is a good set of BIBS.
Im in San Diego as well. If you ever want to ride or need help shoot me a message on here.

And i I second the bibs. Well worth the extra money.
Old 04-05-16, 02:12 PM
franco802

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Hoonigan! I may take you up on that one day.
Old 04-05-16, 03:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
+1
Agree 100%.

Body Glide is made for runners, cyclists, triathletes, etc. One tube is $12, lasts a whole season. You can get it at any sporting goods, running shop or LBS.

Problem solved.

https://www.bodyglide.com/
Old 04-05-16, 11:20 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah skip the Vaseline, try a cycling specific cream. Assos chamois cream is my favorite. I wear top notch shorts and have top notch saddles and still lube up for long rides as a preventative measure.
Old 04-06-16, 06:28 AM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DZ Nuts chamois cream.
Old 04-06-16, 06:18 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A nice set of bibs is excellent, but first you need to search the right saddle and put some time on positioning it. For a good amount of time and money (italian chamois pads are not cheap), I thought that I will never find the right bib/saddle combination. I knew I have the right saddle in terms of width and shape, but I just felt horrible down there in rides more than 20km. Then I started to tinker my fore/aft saddle position, and now it's just pure bliss. I can even wear those cheap ebay noob shorts without any discomfort.

Last edited by bleui; 04-06-16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 06:56 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Bibs for the Win! +1000

And if there was ever a thread to resurrect the Underwear Nazi, this would be it.

It was not mentioned earlier and so just to be clear, you do know you wear cycling shorts commando, right?

And they need to be snug but not overly tight. Too loose and you'll have problems, too.

And bleui hits another good point; do you have the proper saddle? Is it adjusted properly?

The higher end Performance stuff is not bad but I've gotten better results from more expensive stuff like Hincapie and Castelli. Your mileage may vary.

Hooked on Phonics does not work. I now assume everyone is using their cellphones to post on this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.