Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Seat comfort: the saddle and shorts of it

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 01:19 PM
Scott Bontz

Bikes: Surly Steamroller with fixed wheel; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am new to Bike Forums -- and any such sort of online discussion -- and I apologize if I handle this posting less than well. That includes wasting time if my question has already been addressed. But I could not find anything like it on past post/threads.

When I began cycling, about 1980, the chamois in shorts were real chamois, just a layer of animal skin, with no extra padding. It seems that since then saddles have narrowed and shorts padding has thickened, sometimes to a depth of 10mm. As this happens, racing-saddle makers and riders key on saddle weight, which has decreased, but nothing is said about shorts padding weight, which surely must have increased, and is something that surely should count for weight weenies.

I must have a rather sensitive seat. I could say that I have no most comfortable saddle among the many I've tried, only the least uncomfortable. But I don't like thick pads. They not only feel cumbersome and look diaperish -- at least I imagine they do on my skinny rear end -- but they have been no more comfortable. I guess that once my sit bones depress the chamois' foam or gel, they're just as much making points of pressure. In other words, I bottom out the pad. What I've found better is a wider saddle like the Brooks B-17 or my current Berthoud Aspin, with real leather that's hard but which will gradually conform to my shape so that my pressure is distributed more widely and at less psi.

My question is how to find a good short, bib, or knickers with a simple, synthetic chamois that is relatively thin and supple like a real chamois (and like a good tire), instead of thick and channeled (and requires more bending with each pedal stroke?). Many of the clothing makers, even the high-end ones, in their product descriptions don't really give a good "feel" for their chamois. Does anyone out there have my inclination, plus the experience to offer a recommendation?

FYI, on rides longer than my commute (11 miles roundtrip) or to town (24-26 miles roundtrip), when I usually make do with boxers and shorts or street slacks, I wear either Aerotech road shorts, which have a simple chamois that is relatively thin by modern standards, perhaps 5mm, but are inexpensive and don't fit snugly around my narrow hips, or Andiamo bike-short-length underwear under Compass knickers, the combination of which is very thin, with no padding, but about has comfy as the Aerotechs on my rides of 40-50 miles on a fixed gear (out of the saddle a lot).

Thanks for any suggestions, and for any comments on whether my critical perspective of how the weight of shorts should be as important as the weight of saddles, and how it would be nice to see at least a few modern lightweight saddles in the shape of the old, wider leather ones.
Old 09-15-16, 01:50 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Scott, you may be better posting this in the road forum. Or just do a search for your questions. If you type in saddle you'll get all kinds of replies.
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your search, because saddles are hit and miss, as you will soon find out.
Old 09-15-16, 03:25 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Moved from Forum Suggestions & User Assistance.
Old 09-15-16, 03:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Now the 'Shammy' is synthetic..so It Dries faster I toured carrying my tent & stuff for months
basic shorts like that, 3 to have a clean pair daily, & sitting on my heavy Brooks team Profesional saddle.

A lot of Saddle threads have gone before you . most devolve into popularity contests.

and people who cannot do searches because the write here while Working

Road stuff is where people worry about weight ..

the Pros put in over 100 miles a day but they are up out of the saddle a lot not sitting down,

.. now the others can chime in...

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-15-16 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 03:52 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Scott, welcome to BF!

When it comes to saddles and shorts, everyone has their personal preference. Some like lots of padding, others not so much.
My go-to bibshorts are Nalini Nanodry with a relatively thin and small padding, and I ride on a race-oriented saddle (Selle Italia Ltd Series S2) with minimal padding. Yesterday's mid-week ride was 57 miles and a good ride is when I have no memory of either the shorts and saddle ever being an issue, even near the end of the ride.
Old 09-16-16, 11:11 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I agree that if the saddle is right, and that doesn't mean heavily padded by the way, little extra padding is needed in the shorts. I also started out on real chamois. So go to a good LBS and search for minimally padded, good quality shorts. Try them on to see how you like them. If you approve, buy them from the LBS to be fair. If they work out on the road, buy future supply wherever your conscience dictates is appropriate. Done and done.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-16-16, 01:15 PM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
these folks are still making shorts with Leather Shorts and Bibs - Kucharik unfortunately only shorts, not bibs. I too wonder about the weight weenie factor of heavy shorts and light saddles. I still have one old pair of real Chamois bibs, one difference I notice with modern shorts is lots more padding up front, modesty shield?
Old 09-16-16, 01:55 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Boure (boure.com)?

When you say Aerotech Designs, do you mean these Men's Pro Bike Shorts for cycling comfort and bicycle riding
Old 09-19-16, 01:06 PM
Scott Bontz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers re bibs and chamois

Thanks, all of you who shared thoughts about the thin and thick of modern shorts padding.

MPATH, I was not aware of Nalini, and will check them out.

RPENMANPARKER, I think that my choices at the LBS are rather small -- Trek/Bontrager. I tried on Bontrager shorts a few years ago, and thought the padding far too thick and wide. But the chamois in their high-end shorts as pictured on the Web site now look more modest, and I will ask about them.

DOUGPHOTO, I have ridden Kuchariks made of wool and real chamois, and neither was durable. (And you're right about modesty: there was an embarrassing bulge.) I talked with the owner, and he said real chamois aren't what they used to be. And as much as I like wool clothing in general, I don't think I'll go back to a full wool cycling short.

PHILBOB57, yes, I think my Aerotechs are the Men's Pro. Thank you much for the Boure connection. I found their site and very much like their detail and philosophy, which includes putting the padding in the saddle. (My Bethoud isn't padded, but it has nice support.) I've e-mailed Boure about which size bib best suits me -- their chart puts me in extra small for my hips, small for my weight, on the cusp for my waist. (This disproportion goes with how the Aerotech feels fine around my legs and waist, but flaps at the bend and hip.)
Old 09-19-16, 01:12 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Have you a Performance shop nearby? They are a go-to source for value-priced clothing.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-20-16, 09:10 AM
Scott Bontz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Performance, no REI, nothing like them anywhere near central Kansas. But I like Boure's philosophy and will try their bibs.
Old 09-20-16, 01:32 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if there's something you're looking for that you can't find locally, look at Amazon, they stock a lot of bib shorts and more times than not you will get free shipping and pay no tax either. also their return policy is excellent, if you buy something shipped and sold by Amazon, just don't overdue it...

that's where i got my LG's...

also, Nashbar is great for stuff like that, and also has a great return policy if they don't work out for you...
Old 09-20-16, 01:49 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
People spend a lot of money trying to get the right combo of shorts and saddles.

You should be able to ride your saddle in gym shorts comfortably.

If you can't, either you aren't on your sit bones, or your saddle doesn't fit you well.

Once you know you are on the right saddle, then you will know if your shorts are the problem or not.