Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strangest Thing You've Seen on a Ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 04:16 AM
EthanHawley

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's the strangest thing you've seen on a ride? One Sunday morning when I was riding in a local park, I passed a man dragging a giant cross mounted on one of those wheeled platforms that movers use. I kid you not.
Old 10-08-16, 04:49 AM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Many years ago I was on a MTB riding on a dirt track. To my left was a barbed wire fence and then an open field. On my right there was a slight embankment then a pine tree plantation. On my left I noticed a group of kangaroos and they were coming towards me. One jumped over the fence maybe 10 metres in front of me before taking two more jumps on the track before bounding up the embankment and into the trees. I floored it to get away from the rest of the roos in case one decided to crash into me.
Old 10-08-16, 08:09 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Many years ago I was on a MTB riding on a dirt track. To my left was a barbed wire fence and then an open field. On my right there was a slight embankment then a pine tree plantation. On my left I noticed a group of kangaroos and they were coming towards me. One jumped over the fence maybe 10 metres in front of me before taking two more jumps on the track before bounding up the embankment and into the trees. I floored it to get away from the rest of the roos in case one decided to crash into me.
Are you posting from Australia? If you are, than how weird is that? If you are not, well, yeah, that's weird....
Old 10-08-16, 08:28 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by EthanHawley
What's the strangest thing you've seen on a ride? One Sunday morning when I was riding in a local park, I passed a man dragging a giant cross mounted on one of those wheeled platforms that movers use. I kid you not.
This may be strange to you but I have seen people carrying large crosses before.

There is a man who walked around the entire earth carrying a cross.

Then there was that guy 2000 years ago. Maybe the guy in the park was him and you missed your chance. Should have slowed down and said hello, asked if he needed a hand or a cold drink or something.

-Tim-
Old 10-08-16, 09:18 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I passed a guy driving a lawn mower down the street once. It was out in the middle of nowhere as well. Ironically as I passed him he shouted "get off the road!"
Old 10-08-16, 09:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Are you posting from Australia? If you are, than how weird is that? If you are not, well, yeah, that's weird....
There's a kangaroo "farm" in Arlington, WA. I think it's a drive in park kind of thing, go look at the captive animals. Arlington is at 47 N and in this valley, sort of open farming fields immediately before the mountains. It's surrounded by rain forest. It gets chilly. It rains a lot. Every now and then some of those roos escape...
Old 10-08-16, 09:53 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
During this past summer I was riding down a local back road - lots of fields, farms...a few homes.
I came to a cross road and looked over to the right. There's this old guy, maybe in his 70's, spraying weeds, or for bugs, or whatever.
The dude was wearing nothing but a Speedo.
Ouch, my eyes!
Old 10-08-16, 09:56 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A guy who was wearing a wool hat on his bike in the morning when it was 85 degrees at 8 am, multiple times.
Old 10-08-16, 10:16 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I passed a guy driving a lawn mower down the street once. It was out in the middle of nowhere as well. Ironically as I passed him he shouted "get off the road!"
that's fuggin hilarious
Old 10-08-16, 10:56 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
A coyote sitting on the side of a mup here waiting for the group of riders a bit ahead of me to pass before he crossed.

Last month I had to stop on another mup here to wait for a large rattlesnake to cross.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 10-08-16 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-08-16, 11:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
From the north end of the SART, at about 11am on a Wednesday morning, I spied a lone gentleman in the river basin with his back to me. He was standing about 50 yards to my left, with his pants down around his knees, and appeared to be vigorously making love to himself. He was also yelling.

One sunny afternoon, I passed near to a remarkably obese woman who was riding a Rascal scooter, while pushing a stroller in front of it. The stroller had a small child in it. She was crossing an intersection against the red. She was also yelling.
Old 10-08-16, 12:31 PM
smarkinson

Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Kangaroos will generally try to avoid people and will usually take off in the opposite direction if they can so having them come towards me and finding myself in the middle of a group of them is weird.
Old 10-08-16, 12:51 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
It was't real strange but kind of odd when a squirrel crossed the MUP carrying an apple in his mouth. I had no idea where he found it as the nearest houses were several miles away.
Old 10-08-16, 03:29 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I once saw a shirtless, sunbaked dude, barefoot, in jeans and a cowboy hat, weeping with his head in his hands, while kneeling in a dirt driveway next to a pile of garbage.
Old 10-08-16, 05:20 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EthanHawley
A reusable shopping bag full of steaks, discarded on the edge of a field. It was winter and they were still frozen. I thought about taking a few home, but remembered it was very warm the prior day. They were out there for several days.
Old 10-08-16, 06:01 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Then there was that guy 2000 years ago. Maybe the guy in the park was him and you missed your chance. Should have slowed down and said hello, asked if he needed a hand or a cold drink or something.

-Tim-
this has to be the best response i've ever read to any post of any forum i've ever read.
rob
Old 10-08-16, 06:25 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was strange the first time I saw turkeys, rabbits and deer up close on the road, but now that's normal.

Last year, we rode through the tunnels described here, but they were kind of out-of the way, the road was very quiet, and each tunnel itself wasn't so strange - but the sequence of them was extraordinary.

What was stranger, though, was when the ride leader took us down a busy highway into a LOONG tunnel under a mountainside. It wasn't a freeway, but it was rather narrow and the traffic was going 70kph, which is intimidating enough when there really isn't a shoulder to speak of or a median separating the traffic coming the other way. I mean, it was a busy tunnel, with all the traffic that wanted the quick way past the town center. As it happens, I was just checking Google street views and it did show a clear sign for bicycles at the entry, so I guess the drivers were quite used to sharing.

I've seen all manner of weirdness from people in the city, but nothing from a bike ride comes to mind.
Old 10-08-16, 07:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Riding down a local street, watched a mini-van stop at a stop sign in front of me then not start moving. That made me stop as well as I wasn't sure what the van was stopped for and couldn't see in front.

As I rolled next to the van a grey squirrel crossed our path dragging a slice of pizza. Not sure how the slice was going up the tree.
Old 10-08-16, 07:54 PM
RoveRPh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once saw a bald eagle facing off with a 10 point white tailed dear in a field along side a road on one on my routes. I was filled with national pride.
Old 10-08-16, 08:30 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seen a black snake and a few falcons or hawks (not sure)
Old 10-08-16, 09:14 PM
smarkinson

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Should have slowed down and said hello, asked if he needed a hand or a cold drink or something.

-Tim-
Worst advice ever.

Haven't you seen The Life of Brian?

Old 10-08-16, 09:46 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I got this one, hands down.

A monster truck.
Made out a Ford... Pinto!

And it did not burst into flames, even once!

Needed therapy after that one. Messed with my entire sense of reality.
Old 10-08-16, 11:02 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Guy riding a giant unicycle on the trail while juggling. I kid you not. Seen him twice.
Old 10-08-16, 11:48 PM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Worst advice ever.

Haven't you seen The Life of Brian?

https://youtu.be/WCDPwMpYDGs?t=53
Hahahaha! Haven't seen that in a LONG time. Last time was when I introduced my kids to it and my 5 y/o (at the time, he's 19 now) son decided to do the Pontius Pilate scene monologue...My jaw dropped because he even had the speech impediment down to a tee...Brought a tear to my eye...His mother didn't think it was too funny and didn't like it when I told her "It's good for him...Monty Python is a cultural experience. You should try it."
Old 10-08-16, 11:52 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
on a road ride at the beginning of this summer, i stopped at light at a main intersection and to my left there was a guy riding west on what looked like an old beach cruiser literally dressed as Superman! he was dressed exactly like him, cape and everything, and i wanted to snap a photo but my phone was in a ziplock bag in my jersey pocket and it would have taken forever to get to. the second i saw him, i looked at the car to my left and the passenger looked at me and we both started dying laughing. he was riding with the flow of traffic and passed me riding west, but he stopped a few hundred feet down the road for a minute or so, so i looked at the passenger of the car again and said there must be some kryptonite down there. we both laughed and the light turned green and then we parted ways...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.