Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Recap: A Trip to Central FL

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 05:07 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts

I just finished a two week road trip; car camping and riding gravel roads and bike paths in central Florida, with side trips to Georgia and South Carolina. Compared to the terrain I’m used to, the flat roads and paved trails were a nice way to slip back into riding after 4 months of winter weather up here.

Withlacoochee Rail Trail. I did the lower third of this popular trail (just a short distance from my Crooked River Campground campsite). Nice trail and well-maintained.

General Van Fleet State Trail. Rode 40 miles (20 miles out and back) and loved it! Trail runs through the Green Swamp where there are alligators under the bridges and tortoises have the right-of-way.

Flagler Rail Trail (northern end at Lake Harney). Little used and hard to ride - at least at this end. Not much to look at, either. Gave up after a few miles and rode back on the highway.

Marjorie Harris Carr Cross-Florida Greenway In Ocala. A 15 mile paved trail criss-crossed by a network of single track. This trail was actually winding and a little hilly compared to the others. I did the full length on a hot day and while the first few miles were busy, traffic really thins out the further you get. Very nice ride.

As far as gravel riding: People at a bike shop In Ocala told me that Ocala National Forest roads had a lot of sugar sand (they were right - I had a hard time on them) and recommended nearby Withlacoochee State Forest. I spent an afternoon riding the network of hard packed forest roads there and saw only one other cyclist.

A couple of other highlights:

Francis Marion National Forest in S. Carolina. Even if the camping there wasn’t so hot, the gravel riding was top-notch and I plan to go back to check out more of the many miles of deserted roads.

Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge near Macon, GA. Beautiful network of quiet forest roads. Some wading across streams was required.

Okefenokee Swamp. Camped here my first night. Not really much riding, but the long access road is quiet with a low speed limit and a turnoff to a landing on the Suwannee River.

In all, a little more than 200 miles of riding and I feel like I just scratched the surface. ‘‘Twas nice.

Francis Marion National Forest

Old 03-15-19, 08:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
wow good for you! bet you still have lots of snow back home, up north? mud season coming you must have liked those hard & dry dirt roads down south! (aside from the sugar sand). what was bad about the Flagler trail? any photo I saw online looked ok
Old 03-15-19, 09:09 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Good report.

Not many folks have good reports about riding in Florida. A buddy rode the Pinellas Trail in St Pete a few weeks back when it was really cold in the NE. He loved it.
Old 03-15-19, 09:05 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Nice post...I live near the Van Fleet trail and ride the Polk City-Green Pond section often
Old 03-16-19, 12:45 PM
Greenhil

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wow good for you! bet you still have lots of snow back home, up north? mud season coming you must have liked those hard & dry dirt roads down south! (aside from the sugar sand). what was bad about the Flagler trail? any photo I saw online looked ok
The end of Flagler Trail that I rode was rideable but a little too much loose sand with some debris due to lack of use. A couple of regulars at the small park where the trail starts had no idea it was there. To be fair, I only rode a bit of it and it might be a completely different experience in other sections.

I returned to more snow than when I left. Ugh. I’m waiting for a chance to head down your way to ride, since spring will probably make it to you first.

Old 03-17-19, 11:24 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil
spring will probably make it to you first.
early spring is here. lots of riding w no snow or ice at all
Old 03-18-19, 06:34 AM
johjo

Bikes: Bianchi Lucca

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What were your resources for finding and choosing these trails? Thanks, Jody
Old 03-19-19, 05:31 AM
Greenhil

Originally Posted by johjo
What were your resources for finding and choosing these trails? Thanks, Jody
Hey Jody, I used a variety of sources. If you’re talking about the rail trails, the Rails to Trails Conservancy has a website https://www.traillink.com/ that lists them, with reviews. It’s pretty much all there.

The gravel riding info. came from a variety of sources:

-Places where there are organized gravel rides are likely to be good, so I check out where events are. Here’s a calendar of them: Events Archive -
That’s how I found Francis Marion National Forest in SC, which hosts a ride called the Swamp Fox. You can even download maps of those rides from Ride with GPS.

- I Google my brains out - looking at Google Maps, locating forests, wildlife and wilderness areas, etc and checking out networks of roads in them. It also helps sometimes to look at them on Google Earth. I Google the places I find to see if there’s any info posted by local riders - and check Ride with GPS to see if anyone’s posted any rides there.

- I check with local bike shops. One in Ocala turned me on to the great gravel riding at Withlacoochee State Forest.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-20-19, 06:37 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Great, sounds like you had a fun time. General Van Fleet Trail is like an animal sanctuary with excellent cycling.
Old 03-20-19, 10:20 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
We were in Florida the first three weeks of January this year with the intent of doing some bike trails in between the theme parks, It was a little chilly at Shark Valley in the Everglades. We had fantastic warm weather for the Legacy Trail in Sarasota and West Orange Trail in Winter Garden. Also nice riding around Naples and Sarasota neigborhoods. Wanted to cross bridge to Anna Marie Island from Robinson Nature preserve, but the high winds scared us.

Our last ride was the Wthlacoochie from Inverness to the north end, It was chilly and gloomy, almost like riding up here in Illinois this week with temperatures around 50 F.

Last year, we did the Pinellas trial and the temperature was 50F but sunny. Also the Van Fleet and the lower part of the Legacy to Venice. Cooler last year. Have to move down there and pick warm days.
Old 03-22-19, 07:08 AM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil

Hey Jody, I used a variety of sources. If you’re talking about the rail trails, the Rails to Trails Conservancy has a website...The gravel riding info. came from a variety of sources:...Google....

Wow, yes, thank you very much for those resources. Maybe my first road trip with my new bike will be the Van Fleet. I'm really looking forward to it. I live in FL and am in the process of replacing my recently stolen bike. I'm hoping to be able to transport it pretty easily and securely and venture beyond my back yard.
Old 03-22-19, 08:10 AM
Greenhil

Sorry about your stolen bike! I usually just throw mine in the back of the car for day trips. In case anyone's interested (?) I've done a few solo long distance trips lately and built a wood frame that fits snugly into the back of my Honda CRV - it takes less than ten minutes to install/uninstall. Camping gear, etc. goes on and below the platform on the left (which works as a bed in a pinch) and the bike goes in the space on the right. I remove the front wheel and the left pedal and lower the seat to get it in. Its more secure and it keeps it out of the elements. I have to use a hitch rack for the bikes when my wife and I travel together.
Old 03-22-19, 11:55 AM
johjo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice set up! I have a hanging rack for my Corolla, I may end up getting a hitch rack if I end up being serious about doing more touring. I hope the straight bar/non step through style of new bike seems more secure and easier to load. ::shrug:: ? Anyway, well done on the quick and easy camping frame! Jody