Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First flat, first crash, for 2023

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23, 09:04 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts

Interesting rides this February. It has been bouncing up and down between freezing and thawing during each week, so I have been going for rides around my area and scoring firsts, the first ride, the first crash, and my first flat of the year. Last year I had one minor fall on a bike and one flat, and this year I have racked those all up in about one week. I took a nice ride one day, then another ride a few days later and fell trying to loft the front wheel of my road-bike off the street onto a sidewalk over a curb that was a bit too high. Then a few days later another ride and I got a flat, luckily I had my tools and spare tube in my messenger bag and got home. Today I put another ride under my belt and it was in severe wind between 20mph and 40mph, so although I was often going very slow in relation to the ground, I was tucked into a racing position and my wind-speed was very high. These adventures make riding interesting and fun. Anything is better than spinning on a mag-trainer in the basement because it is far below freezing and the roads are covered with ice, snow or slush.
Likes For beng1:
Old 02-16-23, 05:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
fell trying to loft the front wheel of my road-bike off the street onto a sidewalk over a curb that was a bit too high
wow that sounds unpleasant. no dirt to land on? some falls can be no big deal, others, not so much, eh?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-16-23, 06:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I don't see falling as an adventure any more. I don't see flats as positive experiences---even though I always have a couple spare tubes. Windy days can be an interesting challenge---good autobiographical materiel.

Maybe this will be your annual fall and flat and you won't have any more this year. Bring a tube just in case.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-16-23, 06:31 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Now that I am much older than when I started riding I take much fewer risks. If a curb looks like it's higher than the standard x inches, I would just unclip. Sure it doesn't look as cool nor do I feel as cool doing it, but falling is not cool either.

I agree about the outdoor riding though. Nothing beats it, even when it's below freezing. As far as flats go, I pray that I don't have one when it's -10 out, because there's nothing worse than trying to pry a tire off when your fingers don't work.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 02-16-23, 07:13 AM
77record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
An interesting start to your year, so far mine's been uneventful. No flats for a long time, but I've fallen over twice at low speed in the past, in a local town park where it's pretty quiet but people always hang out visiting at the waterfront. And of course both times it was quiet with people around to see me, that's the worst part! Once I turned too sharp around a kiosk and the front wheel went in reverse and I toppled over. In the same area, my front tire caught between walkway bricks and a nearly level curb and down I went. Luckily, embarrassment was my worst injury.
Likes For 77record:
Old 02-16-23, 08:40 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I hope you got the unpleasantries out of the way early and the rest of the year is smooth riding.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 02-16-23, 09:08 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Interesting rides this February. It has been bouncing up and down between freezing and thawing during each week, so I have been going for rides around my area and scoring firsts, the first ride, the first crash, and my first flat of the year. Last year I had one minor fall on a bike and one flat, and this year I have racked those all up in about one week. I took a nice ride one day, then another ride a few days later and fell trying to loft the front wheel of my road-bike off the street onto a sidewalk over a curb that was a bit too high. Then a few days later another ride and I got a flat, luckily I had my tools and spare tube in my messenger bag and got home. Today I put another ride under my belt and it was in severe wind between 20mph and 40mph, so although I was often going very slow in relation to the ground, I was tucked into a racing position and my wind-speed was very high. These adventures make riding interesting and fun. Anything is better than spinning on a mag-trainer in the basement because it is far below freezing and the roads are covered with ice, snow or slush.
None of what you described sounds interesting or fun. Especially the crashing part.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-16-23, 10:43 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
None of what you described sounds interesting or fun. Especially the crashing part.
Try them in a car.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-16-23, 01:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I've done 9 outdoor rides so far this year, and I've flatted on 4 of them. The worst was on the shortest ride - it was supposed to be a quick spin around the neighborhood, no more than 2 miles, just to check out a new saddle on only of my older bikes. I flatted at the point furthest from the house. And because it was only supposed to be a "quick spin around the neighborhood" I didn't bring a spare tube, levers, etc. Ended up walking a mile in cleats.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-16-23, 01:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4956 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I crashed in my own driveway recently. It was dumb.
Old 02-16-23, 10:19 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
You think it has anything to do with the chemical spill in Ohio? People have been acting weird all week
Old 02-17-23, 11:40 AM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by genejockey
I've done 9 outdoor rides so far this year, and I've flatted on 4 of them. The worst was on the shortest ride - it was supposed to be a quick spin around the neighborhood, no more than 2 miles, just to check out a new saddle on only of my older bikes. I flatted at the point furthest from the house. And because it was only supposed to be a "quick spin around the neighborhood" I didn't bring a spare tube, levers, etc. Ended up walking a mile in cleats.
That is really bad luck, If I got that many flats on my roadbike I would spend some money on those Continental or Schwalbe tires that have all sorts of flat protection built into them, I just usually run cheap used tires, usually end up being Kenda, which have a poor reputation for resistance to flatting, and in all of 2022 I only got one flat. On my MTB, which I have had for over 25 years, I can never remember getting a flat once. I did try those plastic anti-flat strips in the MTB tires before, but not for long, just did not seem necessary.
Old 02-17-23, 11:46 AM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Now that I am much older than when I started riding I take much fewer risks. If a curb looks like it's higher than the standard x inches, I would just unclip. Sure it doesn't look as cool nor do I feel as cool doing it, but falling is not cool either.

I agree about the outdoor riding though. Nothing beats it, even when it's below freezing. As far as flats go, I pray that I don't have one when it's -10 out, because there's nothing worse than trying to pry a tire off when your fingers don't work.
I am in my 60s chronologically, but I still seem to be able to take a beating. Bouncing off concrete over the last few years has not broken any of my bones or given me any permanent injuries. I attribute this crash to not being as used to the bike as much as my other bikes, I only have about 400 miles on it tops, and it has an aggressive riding position that puts a lot of weight on the front wheel so it is harder to wheelie the bike than most. After the crash on the way home I made sure to ride the bike over a number of other curbs and obstacles to make sure I don't become gun-shy and lose the confidence I have in riding and handling a bike.
Old 02-17-23, 11:52 AM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by 77record
An interesting start to your year, so far mine's been uneventful. No flats for a long time, but I've fallen over twice at low speed in the past, in a local town park where it's pretty quiet but people always hang out visiting at the waterfront. And of course both times it was quiet with people around to see me, that's the worst part! Once I turned too sharp around a kiosk and the front wheel went in reverse and I toppled over. In the same area, my front tire caught between walkway bricks and a nearly level curb and down I went. Luckily, embarrassment was my worst injury.
There was a guy walking on the other side of the street who asked me if I was okay after I fell, that was nice of him. At one point in my life I quit being embarrassed, what other people think does not mean anything, it is their problem not yours.
Old 02-17-23, 01:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

That is really bad luck, If I got that many flats on my roadbike I would spend some money on those Continental or Schwalbe tires that have all sorts of flat protection built into them, I just usually run cheap used tires, usually end up being Kenda, which have a poor reputation for resistance to flatting, and in all of 2022 I only got one flat. On my MTB, which I have had for over 25 years, I can never remember getting a flat once. I did try those plastic anti-flat strips in the MTB tires before, but not for long, just did not seem necessary.
3 out of the 4 flats were on GP5000s. Generally, I get very few flats, but with all the rain here in late December and early January, I was riding on wet roads a lot, and apparently there were lots of glass shards which just needed the lubrication of rainwater to implant themselves in the tread and work their way into the tube.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-17-23, 04:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've had one flat so far this year and it wasn't the result of a puncture, it was the result of a broken presta valve....I aired down my studded tires to ride some ice covered gravel and singletrack but I felt like I let out too much air. So I stopped to pump my tires up just a little bi.t The air chuck got stuck on the valve. As I tried to pull of the air chuck off I snapped the presta vale stem. and all the air leaked out. I had to change a tube out on the trail, the temperature that morning was minus 18 celsius or minus 0.4 F.. I got it done and continued to complete my ride. The ride itself was fun but changing a tube in such cold temps wasn't fun.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-18-23, 07:25 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I am in my 60s chronologically, but I still seem to be able to take a beating. Bouncing off concrete over the last few years has not broken any of my bones or given me any permanent injuries. I attribute this crash to not being as used to the bike as much as my other bikes, I only have about 400 miles on it tops, and it has an aggressive riding position that puts a lot of weight on the front wheel so it is harder to wheelie the bike than most. After the crash on the way home I made sure to ride the bike over a number of other curbs and obstacles to make sure I don't become gun-shy and lose the confidence I have in riding and handling a bike.
I attribute every one of my crashes to my doing something on the bike I shouldn't be doing. It helps cut down on the pain.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 02-18-23, 08:39 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've had one flat so far this year and it wasn't the result of a puncture, it was the result of a broken presta valve....I aired down my studded tires to ride some ice covered gravel and singletrack but I felt like I let out too much air. So I stopped to pump my tires up just a little bi.t The air chuck got stuck on the valve. As I tried to pull of the air chuck off I snapped the presta vale stem. and all the air leaked out. I had to change a tube out on the trail, the temperature that morning was minus 18 celsius or minus 0.4 F.. I got it done and continued to complete my ride. The ride itself was fun but changing a tube in such cold temps wasn't fun.
That is why on my MTB I drilled the holes in the rims out and use good ol' reliable tough schrader valve tubes that any pump made in the last 125 years will fit and work with easily.

Last edited by beng1; 02-18-23 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-18-23, 08:48 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I attribute every one of my crashes to my doing something on the bike I shouldn't be doing. It helps cut down on the pain.
From the time I started riding over a half century ago, I have loved doing things on bikes I shouldn't be doing. All the kids in the neighborhood used to build ramps out of concrete blocks and whatever boards were laying around, and we all jumped the ramp then built a bigger one, along with jumping any natural ramps we could find. Always trying to see how fast we could go, who could leave the longest skid-mark with their coaster rear brake, riding two-up by standing and using the saddle or the sitting on the bars, even fitting three on a bike on occasion. We used to have "dogfights", where we would find a large area to ride in like a basketball court and then a bunch of us would ride around and try to wipe the other riders out by cutting them off or kicking their front wheel sideways, last man on his wheels was the champion of the day. Today the dare is wondering how hard I could ride before maybe I have another heart attack and maybe fall over dead. I have an appointment with the cardiologist March 1st and will try to find out how likely that is to happen this year. I felt pretty crummy after the time-trial last year, and I feel much worse this year, I have a bad valve, but I am still riding, better than dying like my next door neighbor did alone in a recliner in front of a TV set.
Old 02-18-23, 08:57 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by genejockey
3 out of the 4 flats were on GP5000s. Generally, I get very few flats, but with all the rain here in late December and early January, I was riding on wet roads a lot, and apparently there were lots of glass shards which just needed the lubrication of rainwater to implant themselves in the tread and work their way into the tube.
I think it is the Conti Gatorskins, and one other model that have all sorts of extra flat protection built into them, and the Schwalbe model built for flat resistance is supposed to be bomb proof, but of course these are all really heavy tires and a lot of people might not like the feel of that. I weighed one of my cheap Kenda tires recently and it was about one-pound in weight, and the heavy-duty Conti and Schwalbe tires weigh another hundred grams or more than that. I do think the rolling resistance of these high-end anti-flat tires is very good though, but of course not as good as the gp5000, but not bad.
Old 02-18-23, 09:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I think it is the Conti Gatorskins, and one other model that have all sorts of extra flat protection built into them, and the Schwalbe model built for flat resistance is supposed to be bomb proof, but of course these are all really heavy tires and a lot of people might not like the feel of that. I weighed one of my cheap Kenda tires recently and it was about one-pound in weight, and the heavy-duty Conti and Schwalbe tires weigh another hundred grams or more than that. I do think the rolling resistance of these high-end anti-flat tires is very good though, but of course not as good as the gp5000, but not bad.
I decided instead of harder tires, I'd just buy a 10-pack of tubes.

Likes For genejockey: