Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Airporter Mini Travel Case versus Boardwalk D6

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 10:35 PM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I have an Airporter Mini travel case and tried to follow the instructions found in <this PDF from Dahon.> Advertising says "Fits all Dahon Curve, Speed, Ciao, Roo, Vitesse, Boardwalk, Mu bikes as well as P.A.Q. Mini Bikes." but I'll be darned if I can get the whole bike in there without an axle bolt sticking out, leaving me worried that I'll arrive while some bent spokes.

Is there something I'm really missing? The instructions show a wheel on either side of the frame, though even Dahon's own promo image shows both wheels on one side of the (different style) frame.

I'm leaving my rack and fenders at home, so it's seatpost/pedals/wheels/derailleur off, then a wheel/frame/wheel sandwich... the handlebars don't come off, they're still folding mid-frame.

Has anyone had any success in getting a "clean" pack-in on a Boardwalk? Thanks!

<- Not my bike

(And yes I have seen https://www.gaerlan.com/dahon/pack.htm for isntructions on using a "non-official" travel case.

I'm also a bit stumped about this strap on top of the bag... for extra external luggage?

Old 08-05-11, 01:32 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjorke
So I have an Airporter Mini travel case and tried to follow the instructions found in <this PDF from Dahon.> Advertising says "Fits all Dahon Curve, Speed, Ciao, Roo, Vitesse, Boardwalk, Mu bikes as well as P.A.Q. Mini Bikes." but I'll be darned if I can get the whole bike in there without an axle bolt sticking out, leaving me worried that I'll arrive while some bent spokes.

Is there something I'm really missing? The instructions show a wheel on either side of the frame, though even Dahon's own promo image shows both wheels on one side of the (different style) frame.

I'm leaving my rack and fenders at home, so it's seatpost/pedals/wheels/derailleur off, then a wheel/frame/wheel sandwich... the handlebars don't come off, they're still folding mid-frame.

Has anyone had any success in getting a "clean" pack-in on a Boardwalk? Thanks!

<- Not my bike

(And yes I have seen https://www.gaerlan.com/dahon/pack.htm for isntructions on using a "non-official" travel case.

I'm also a bit stumped about this strap on top of the bag... for extra external luggage?

Some Dahon bikes will need a bit more take apart than what Dahon purported implied in their ads. I have a big Dahon dealer here in town and they tried the Boardwalk and I think the Ciao will not fit into the airporter mini without major take apart. Another dealer said to take out the whole steering column and fork to make it fit in better. With that much take apart, most of their customer went with the Airporter instead which fits all bikes better. Part of the reason is that, this Dahon case is roughly a 28", though it is a bit wider and deeper making a total of 62" linear inches. The Gaerlan website I believe used a 30" that is larger than the airline's 62" linear measurement in total, which is why it fits better.

The extra strap is used to tow another smaller luggage in tandem (preferably a carry on) that support the same buckle system. Unfortunately, not all luggage maker use the same buckles and Dahon buckle does not attach to my Delsey feather-lite 20" carry on.

Last edited by pacificcyclist; 08-05-11 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 01:56 PM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks! With some repeated re-arranging or both wheels and the frame I have managed to get it in and flat without pulling the whole fork... I think. Hopefully Air Canada are less brutal than your average American luggage gorilla, we'll find out tomorrow morning!
Old 08-06-11, 01:24 AM
jefmcg

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the total weight at check in? was briefly interested in the mini, until I read it was 16lbs (>7kg). With a weight limit of 20kg for the journey I am thinking of, that means no clothes or toiletries.
Old 08-06-11, 07:14 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
44.7 pounds including tubes and pump and all bike tools
Old 08-10-11, 12:20 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Success
safe and sound in Vancouver