Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Plane packing options for Dahon MU Uno? (economy)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 09:16 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to avoid any additional fees as much as possible. That probably means getting the bike to an acceptable "package" size that can be checked in and safe from standard rough treatment as expected in these situations. If it helps, I'm flying Emirates economy.

Obviously I'm not averse to dissembling the bike but the less pieces the better

Any ideas? I'm wondering if just getting the smallest box that will fit the bike - while folded - and stuffing it with newspapers/bubblewrap is sufficient.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-09-13, 12:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Check with the air carrier , get the answer in writing , print it and you have a chance
of the people that you will go through not making that agreement Void.
Old 11-09-13, 07:04 PM
fusilierdan

Bikes: Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I used
https://www.gaerlan.com/dahon/pack.htm

I used foam pipe insulation and foam sports tape to protect the frame.
Old 11-10-13, 03:17 AM
tourer78

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Emirates bicycle info here https://www.emirates.com/au/english/h...x?faqId=214958
Mrs tourer and I have travelled with both full sized boxed bikes and bike fridays in Suitcases on Emirates, and as long as you don't exceed your 30 kilo allowance you will be ok. Exceed 30 kilos and be prepared to pay dearly!! If still in doubt contact the airline directly. Hope this helps.

UPDATE - emirates flights out of the US appear to allow 2 bags of 23 kilos each on their flights. Here in Australia we get 30 kilos total on Emirates. Probably best to check with airlines, but it looks like you should be ok regardless of how you package the bike as long as you dont exceed 23 kilos per bag.

Last edited by tourer78; 11-10-13 at 03:23 AM. Reason: More information
Old 11-11-13, 06:37 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer78
Emirates bicycle info here https://www.emirates.com/au/english/h...x?faqId=214958
Mrs tourer and I have travelled with both full sized boxed bikes and bike fridays in Suitcases on Emirates, and as long as you don't exceed your 30 kilo allowance you will be ok. Exceed 30 kilos and be prepared to pay dearly!! If still in doubt contact the airline directly. Hope this helps.

UPDATE - emirates flights out of the US appear to allow 2 bags of 23 kilos each on their flights. Here in Australia we get 30 kilos total on Emirates. Probably best to check with airlines, but it looks like you should be ok regardless of how you package the bike as long as you dont exceed 23 kilos per bag.
It is indeed 30 kilos from Australia but I'm more worried of the luggage dimensions. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 11-11-13, 08:07 PM
graycenphil

Bikes: Proflex, Bike Friday, Breezer Zig7, Kona Scrap, Raleigh 3 speed, Schwin Tandem, Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem, FLX Babymaker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never flown Emirates, but I've gone on a few other airlines with a bike box and was never charged extra. Amazingly, the bike was never damagged either.

I've also flown a lot with a Bike Friday in the regular BF Samsonite suitcase and had no problems whatsoever, except the occaisional delayed luggage.
Old 11-11-13, 08:39 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
If the box that Dahons come in is within the airline's dimensions; just ask any
Dahon dealer to give it to you instead of throwing it out. I have flown a few times
with my Brompton in the factory cardboard box, no problems. But the B'ton in the
box is within most airline's limit of 62 linear inches. If Dahon's box is too big; I
would suggest to just use any luggage you already have. The bike would need some
disassembly. I have used a standard sized Samsonite hard sided luggage a few times
to fly my folding bike(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQNU2DKiWw

Brompton folding bike; ready for check-in by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 11-12-13, 07:35 PM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
If the box that Dahons come in is within the airline's dimensions; just ask any
Dahon dealer to give it to you instead of throwing it out. I have flown a few times
with my Brompton in the factory cardboard box, no problems. But the B'ton in the
box is within most airline's limit of 62 linear inches. If Dahon's box is too big; I
would suggest to just use any luggage you already have. The bike would need some
disassembly. I have used a standard sized Samsonite hard sided luggage a few times
to fly my folding bike(s).
That's cool. Almost everyone seems to use Samsonite hardshells. I'm going to have to look for one.