Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Late 60's Cinelli Resto?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Late 60's Cinelli Resto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 09:29 PM
Musical

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late 60's Cinelli Resto?

Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy a late 60's (maybe 1970) Cinelli SC bicycle that is 90% (except wheels and rear der.) original Campy NR with Cinelli bars and stem. Problem is that the frame was spray painted and would need to be professionally redone to restore it. The seller is holding it for me for right now. Is this a project worth getting into? I know it is a desirable bicycle and at almost 50 yrs old, probably not too common. Any of you Cinelli experts out there could offer any advice?
Old 09-03-08, 09:53 PM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Bikes: Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I'm no expert, but what's it look like and how much would you be paying for it? It would be interesting to see how it compares, parts- and condition-wise, with these nice-looking '69 and '70 Cinellis over at wooljersey:

https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/Jeff+Pyzyk/cinelli/
https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/.../Cinelli+1970/

With it being late 60's, I have to ask: Does it have the valuable Campy "no logo" brakes on it?
Old 09-03-08, 10:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,723 Times in 2,540 Posts
sounds like a pretty good bike to restore.
Old 09-03-08, 11:43 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If it was in my price range I'd jump. On a different note.....I have several times removed "rattle can" paint with lacquer thinner or reducer for modern basecoats with surprising results. You may find a beauty with great patina under the nasty stuff. With original paint that old you run the risk of softening it with lacquer thinner so basecoat reducer for cold temps is a better bet. Then polish it and see what ya got! I had an old Schwinn cruiser type bike someone had rattle canned. After a lil elbow grease and some light headedness I had a nearly flawless burnt orange colored frame.
Well ventilated area, gloves, respirator, etc..

Check out my bike blog!
Old 09-04-08, 12:51 AM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kpug505
If it was in my price range I'd jump. On a different note.....I have several times removed "rattle can" paint with lacquer thinner or reducer for modern basecoats with surprising results. You may find a beauty with great patina under the nasty stuff. With original paint that old you run the risk of softening it with lacquer thinner so basecoat reducer for cold temps is a better bet. Then polish it and see what ya got! I had an old Schwinn cruiser type bike someone had rattle canned. After a lil elbow grease and some light headedness I had a nearly flawless burnt orange colored frame.
Well ventilated area, gloves, respirator, etc..
Never thought of that but that's a damned good idea. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever run across a bike that has been rattle canned.
Old 09-04-08, 12:57 AM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Musical
Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy a late 60's (maybe 1970) Cinelli SC bicycle that is 90% (except wheels and rear der.) original Campy NR with Cinelli bars and stem. Problem is that the frame was spray painted and would need to be professionally redone to restore it. The seller is holding it for me for right now. Is this a project worth getting into? I know it is a desirable bicycle and at almost 50 yrs old, probably not too common. Any of you Cinelli experts out there could offer any advice?
Could be a worthy project. How much does he want for it? A new paint job could easily run $350-600 (or more). The rear derailler maybe $50-100. And wheels...well, that's has been the biggest expense on my bike. How much do Record hubs go for these days? $100 maybe? And suitable rims? $100-150. Add spokes and labor unless you can build the wheels yourself. Or you could get lucky and pick up a set from eBay.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it but make sure the purchase price reflects how much work and money you'll have to put into it.
Old 09-04-08, 05:47 AM
Musical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The seller wants 8 bills for it, which seems like a lot given the condition. Add another 800-1K on restoration and its a pretty expensive bicycle.
Old 09-04-08, 06:51 AM
Musical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gridplan
I'm no expert, but what's it look like and how much would you be paying for it? It would be interesting to see how it compares, parts- and condition-wise, with these nice-looking '69 and '70 Cinellis over at wooljersey:

https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/Jeff+Pyzyk/cinelli/
https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/.../Cinelli+1970/

With it being late 60's, I have to ask: Does it have the valuable Campy "no logo" brakes on it?
It has the campy logo down the front of the brake levers, however it does have a single hole drill pattern down the length which is pretty unusual. Probably about 7-8 somewhat large holes. I would say it is closer to the first bicycle condition-wise, however the paint is obviously not original but rattle can as another poster referred it to.
Old 09-04-08, 08:24 AM
Pogliaghi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts
Do the lugs have holes in them? If so it is generally thought that this feature started around 1968. If the equipment is in good condition (steel parts like bolts/hardware front dr cage etc are rust free and no badly scratched up alloy) and the frame is dent/damage free you may want to see if you can negotiate a bit. I assume the frame had chrome lugs and fork crown and if so what is the condition of the chrome? This adds to restoration costs if re-chroming is necessary. Check seatpost is 26.2 just to make sure it is a Cinelli and not a Windsor which takes a 27.2 post. If all checks out and you can negotiate a little you will have a great bike which will also turn out to be a good investment. Pics would be good if you can get them.
Old 09-04-08, 10:04 AM
Musical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pogliaghi
Do the lugs have holes in them? If so it is generally thought that this feature started around 1968. If the equipment is in good condition (steel parts like bolts/hardware front dr cage etc are rust free and no badly scratched up alloy) and the frame is dent/damage free you may want to see if you can negotiate a bit. I assume the frame had chrome lugs and fork crown and if so what is the condition of the chrome? This adds to restoration costs if re-chroming is necessary. Check seatpost is 26.2 just to make sure it is a Cinelli and not a Windsor which takes a 27.2 post. If all checks out and you can negotiate a little you will have a great bike which will also turn out to be a good investment. Pics would be good if you can get them.
The lugs do have holes in them, which would put the bike later than 68 and no "later" than 71 as that is when the current owner bought the bike. It is definitely without a doubt a Cinelli as the decals were masked in the painting and the original headbadge is in place. The chrome is dull, not pitted and could maybe polished up but not sure. I have a picture, just cannot access it now.

Last edited by Musical; 09-04-08 at 10:05 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 09-04-08, 10:37 AM
King of Kadence

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, with the original decals intact I'd almost be inclined to try rubbing off the paint as kpug505 suggested.
Old 09-04-08, 05:21 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 3,845 Times in 1,418 Posts
I'd buy it for $800.

I will disagree with Kommisar, a wheelset should be about $150, $200 max from ebay, probably less from a swap. There is no need to build up your own set.

You can get a smokin' Cinelli for $1,500, that is a no-brainer.
Old 09-04-08, 06:17 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
As posted above, a proper paintjob will not be cheap.

I spent over $800.00 on the last restoration correct paintwork.