Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Prolight vs Ionos vs S-Works ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 06:07 PM
NEUROSPORT
Banned

Bikes: '07 Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok its about time i get a helmet while i still have a head.

i narrowed it down to those 3.

i am partial to the Prolight because it both the latest high quality helmet and the least gimmicky.

but it doesn't seem like this helmet has been "embraced" by the cycling masses or the pros alike ?

by the way i have stores nearby carrying all 3 and i have held all 3 in my hands but i still can't decide !

help me out guys !
Old 05-23-10, 06:14 PM
SalsaPodio

Bikes: 2012 Parlee Z5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard that the Prolight has less ventilation than the Ionos.
Old 05-23-10, 06:14 PM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
volt.
Old 05-23-10, 06:19 PM
NEUROSPORT
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaPodio
I've heard that the Prolight has less ventilation than the Ionos.
what do you mean by that ? do you mean it has smaller vents or is it less cool to wear ? the two are not the same ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=escGyEyrGUs

this video explains how prolight has smaller vents outisde but bigger air channels inside.
Old 05-23-10, 06:22 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen the Prolight on the heads of pros.

Having needed to use my helmet (30 mph face plant which smashed in my teeth and left me concussed) I am more concerned with coverage than light weight. Specialized seems to have decent forehead coverage.

How does one adjust the fit on the Prolight? When it is cold I ride with a fabric skullcap under the helmet to keep my head warm. Once I started doing that I realized that being able to adjust the fit while riding (and with full gloves on) is very useful. That way when it warms up I can take off the skullcap without stopping.
Old 05-23-10, 06:42 PM
NEUROSPORT
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
Having needed to use my helmet (30 mph face plant which smashed in my teeth and left me concussed) I am more concerned with coverage than light weight.
what makes you think specialized has more protection ?
Old 05-23-10, 09:06 PM
recon455

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NEUROSPORT
what do you mean by that ? do you mean it has smaller vents or is it less cool to wear ? the two are not the same ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=escGyEyrGUs

this video explains how prolight has smaller vents outisde but bigger air channels inside.
Well of course the salesman says that it's equal to the Ionos. That doesn't really prove it one way or another. With that said, I think the Prolight probably ventilates just fine for most conditions. Also, if you can get one from Europe like from PBK, they are lighter than the American versions.
Old 05-23-10, 10:42 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Prolight has 3 different snap-in settings and then elastic band that works with those. I think the elastic has more than enough stretch to compensate for a skull cap, or even a wool beanie. If you went really thick headgear you might have to stop and adjust the snaps (10 seconds, but tough to do while riding).
Old 05-24-10, 12:06 AM
NEUROSPORT
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recon455
Well of course the salesman says that it's equal to the Ionos. That doesn't really prove it one way or another. With that said, I think the Prolight probably ventilates just fine for most conditions. Also, if you can get one from Europe like from PBK, they are lighter than the American versions.
i don't care about a few grams. i just want an overall good helmet with good fit, good ventilation, good protection and good looks

supposedly the prolight appeared on the pros briefly during some stages of the last TDF and then they went back to Ionos. i am just trying to figure out WHY ?

if they both ventilate equally well and one is much lighter than another - why would they use the heavier one ?

have they been ordered by Giro to use the more expensive helmet for marketing reasons ?

they obviously can't make prolight more expensive than Ionos because there is no carbon in it - it was courageous enough on their part to make it more expensive than Atmos LOL

Last edited by NEUROSPORT; 05-24-10 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-24-10, 09:43 AM
Cdy291

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing has protected my head better than a Bell.

Co owner of The Chain Station bike shop.
Old 05-24-10, 10:06 AM
wannaride
Toughen the pluck up!

Bikes: 1990 KHS Sled; 2004 Specialized Sirrus Pro; 2005 Cannondale Saeco Replica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Ionos. I have two and love 'em. I think that you get better coverage with one than a Pro Light and I'll take a few grams more weight. You should also be able to pick them up cheaper these days. I don't know anything about the Specialized except that the design and construction hasn't seemed to change for some time now but I like the brow vent.
Old 05-24-10, 05:22 PM
NEUROSPORT
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wannaride
+1 on the Ionos. I have two and love 'em. I think that you get better coverage with one than a Pro Light
why do you think it has more coverage ? i heard that point before but i don't understand why ?
Old 05-24-10, 05:33 PM
brianappleby
Senior Member?

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cdy291
Nothing has protected my head better than a Bell.
Has anything protected your head more poorly? And whilst you get all brand loyal, you should know that Bell and Giro are made by the same company.

I recently switched from the Bell Sweep to the Giro Prolight. The Ionos and Atmos never seemed to fit my head right, but the prolight is snug and comfy. Forgettable really.

The Prolight is quite noticeably lighter than any other helmet when you pick it up. When you consider the difference between $100 in pedals is sometimes 15g, then a 100g difference on your head becomes quite noteworthy. Honestly, anybody who cares about weight at all should be on a prolight once the $/gram math gets compared to other components that are part of the bike.

The fit is accomplished as mentioned above. I wear a medium Bell Sweep, and a med Prolight with the snaps in the middle of the 3 positions.

I haven't noticed a difference in ventilation, but I always wear a thin skullcap to keep sweat out of my eyes, so it may be like a raincoat in the shower...

To me, the prolight looks subjectively dorkier than the sweep/Ionos/Atmos/Volt options, but lots of the stuff we wear is dorky.
Old 05-24-10, 06:19 PM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, the Prolight straps are super uncomfortable if you're bald or shave your head and don't wear a cycling cap. Fortunately, baldies (myself included) are likely to wear the cap to avoid funny tan lines.
Old 05-24-10, 06:41 PM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i don't care about a few grams. i just want an overall good helmet with good fit, good ventilation, good protection and good looks

supposedly the prolight appeared on the pros briefly during some stages of the last TDF and then they went back to Ionos. i am just trying to figure out WHY ?

if they both ventilate equally well and one is much lighter than another - why would they use the heavier one ?

have they been ordered by Giro to use the more expensive helmet for marketing reasons ?

they obviously can't make prolight more expensive than Ionos because there is no carbon in it - it was courageous enough on their part to make it more expensive than Atmos LOL
No internal roll cage is sketchy as hell. My Monza came up on its 5 year anniversary yesterday, so in celebration, I took a metal pipe to it. That internal plastic re-enforcement adds much more strength than you might think.
Old 05-24-10, 06:52 PM
bmw5nkj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Levi (a baldy) was powering up the hills at the ToC wearing a Prolight. So was Dave Z, but he's not bald.

Anyway, the Prolight always seemed cheap to me. It looks like the Giro Transfer, which is one of their cheap helmets.

With that said, I'd go with the Ionos or the S-Works if you've got the extra cash. The weight savings isn't that big of a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
giro_transfer_bla.jpg (24.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-24-10, 07:15 PM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both the Ionos and S-Works. Fairly similar helmets with a few relatively minor differences. The S-Works has a nice vent at the front that does keep the forehead drier with fewer sweat drips, and is noticeably lighter. The Ionos has slightly better overall ventilation. I most often reach for the S-Works for whatever that's worth.
Old 05-24-10, 07:26 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmw5nkj
Levi (a baldy) was powering up the hills at the ToC wearing a Prolight. So was Dave Z, but he's not bald.

Anyway, the Prolight always seemed cheap to me. It looks like the Giro Transfer, which is one of their cheap helmets.

With that said, I'd go with the Ionos or the S-Works if you've got the extra cash. The weight savings isn't that big of a difference.
How much would people pay to save 70g on any other component? And the pro light costs less than the Ionos, and presumably they both meet the US standards the Catlike Whisper helmet still doesn't (or can you buy that in the US now?).
Old 05-24-10, 08:15 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what makes you think specialized has more protection ?
Totally unscientific I am afraid- it looks like it goes farther down on the forehead than the Giro I had.

It would be nice if there were more detailed CSPC or Snell ratings than "pass", but there's not.
Old 05-24-10, 08:16 PM
NEUROSPORT
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was just browsing the net and another concern surfaced - noise.

i actually care about this A LOT because i intend to listen to music when i ride.

any ideas which helmets have less wind noise ?
Old 05-24-10, 08:16 PM
Crash716
i got nothing.

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LAS helmets rock...having crashed in both Giro's and LAS i'll take the LAS all day.
Old 05-25-10, 12:06 AM
recon455

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to continue in this thread, but this is a Neurosport thread. Probably his most subtle troll yet.
Old 05-25-10, 12:46 AM
^oZ
shut up legs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How would we know, it's your head it has to go on
Old 05-25-10, 04:37 AM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've raced the S-Works for a season, and I've got 6 months in on my Ionos. The Ionos fits better and has better ventilation, IMO. The Prolight looks cheap, doesn't have that good of ventilation (less than the S and the Ionos), bujt it feels great on my head.

If it were me, I'd go for the Ionos.
Old 05-25-10, 05:19 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the Prolight for over a month any really like it.

The light weight is a big plus for comfort and the vents seem fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.