Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 08:48 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I was originally going to do my last ride in Tuscany, but there was nothing available to rent there.

Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-19-20, 01:37 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
You are too kind, gentlemen!

Chris, I'll be happy to join you on your last ride, but given that I'm older than you, I hope you'll do this favour to me first. And please remember that you smoked me on the dogmobile, so take it easy on me. As for the Dudes' nuts - that's flattering.

O-B, you always come with interesting ideas about forum topics. And by the way, we haven't heard your plan for a last ride.

My perfect last ride (provided I'm in today's shape) - the OC ride that we did with you and the other BF guys: Santiago Canyon, Peter's Canyon, Newport Coast (from the easier inland side), a bit of PCH and Laguna Canyon.

As for doing a BF ride - I'm in. I vote for North SD county. The loop that we did with Chris was awesome, I'd love to do it again. But I'm open to other ideas. And if Sammos stands for the Santa Monica Mountains, then no. I don't like that area - the roads are crap, the drivers are crappier and getting there is a royal pain in the Assos.

that oc bike forums ride was awesome. a perfect day weatherwise and a nice turnout.

northern san diego county has some great roads. lilac/west lilac, couser canyon, harmony grove, lake wohlford, rice canyon, woods valley, highland valley, de luz and sandia creek the first to come to mind.

road quality in the sammos (santa monica mtns) ain't that bad currently. in fact, it's pretty good. the worst stretch-yerba buena-got repaved recently and is a revelation.
upper half from the i-section with cotharin all the way to the stop sign at mulholland is a must-do. westernmost section of mully is really nice right now. latigo cyn no complaints.
deer creek/pacific view/cotharin good. decker fine. lower encinal cyn good...upper could use a repave. stunt good. one small section of piuma could use a repave. but otherwise...
it's in much better shape than the angeles nf roads and about as good as the san bernardino nf (san bernardino mtns section) roads right now.
haven't had any issues during the week but i don't ride the sammos on the weekend...and if getting there is a royal pita from oc, it's even more fun with a solid hour each way tacked on coming from metro san diego.
still worth it for a treat.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-19-20, 01:52 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but this entire discussion is moot until these places open back up. They are all closed by The Powers That Be, for reasons we are too stupid to understand.

EDIT: In fact, the CHP has a guy stationed, 24/7, just to keep people off roads going into the mountains. No stated reason, and it seems like a ridiculous waste of manpower, but that's what they're doing. And if you go into any closed NP's they will find you inside of an hour and throw you out.
there's this on the 198 with a map of the affected area...
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvis...nstruction.htm

and this on the 190...
https://www.fs.usda.gov/sequoia
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd825787.pdf

the caltrans site wasn't showing any issues in the area for the 190, 180 or 198 but it seems their reporting jurisdiction doesn't include national park or national forest info.
if i use it for la/san diego area southern california state hwys, it shows/has shown applicable closures/notices. weird.
https://roads.dot.ca.gov/

Last edited by diphthong; 10-19-20 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-19-20, 04:32 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I did note that Sequoia Park seems to be open. Hwy 190 though, has caravans of state and federal vehicles going up every day, and had a CHP guy blocking anyone who isn't a bureaucrat or resident from going through. Apparently its a patchwork of closures that no one who hasn't been up there in the last week could ever figure out. Typical. Maybe once it rains all these people will leave, that's my sincere hope.

In any event, I have a nice 59.5 cm Italian EL OS frame for you if you can swing by and pick it up. I will never ride something that big, and don't want to go through the hassle of selling it. You may never build it up, but at least if you have it, there's some chance of that happening.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 10-19-20 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-19-20, 12:55 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I did note that Sequoia Park seems to be open. Hwy 190 though, has caravans of state and federal vehicles going up every day, and had a CHP guy blocking anyone who isn't a bureaucrat or resident from going through. Apparently its a patchwork of closures that no one who hasn't been up there in the last week could ever figure out. Typical. Maybe once it rains all these people will leave, that's my sincere hope.

In any event, I have a nice 59.5 cm Italian EL OS frame for you if you can swing by and pick it up. I will never ride something that big, and don't want to go through the hassle of selling it. You may never build it up, but at least if you have it, there's some chance of that happening.

was thinking about coming up to ride the 198 from three rivers into sequoia np to start of construction just past wolverton and back tomorrow but temps will be a little
more to my liking next tuesday so committing to doing it on the 27th. nearish castle fire is 72% contained and creek fire to the north is 61% contained-both as of today.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi...705fcce7c3312f

been monitoring the aq along the 198 corridor climb area for the last week and, from what i can tell, it's stayed consistently good. not so much to the west, south and north.
thinking another week may improve things even more (if we can stay away from another blaze in the area).

your battaglin offer is beyond generousity cubed and i would be a complete blathering idiot not to take you up on it.
Old 10-20-20, 07:57 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Last ride of my life... a nice 100 mile stretch of something slightly downhill with a 10mph tailwind. Go down in flames with an incredible Century time.
Old 10-20-20, 03:26 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
Hey Tycho, I don't think we've met on the road, but if I remember correctly, we've shared some common ideas on this forum (e.g. that Solvang thread a few months ago ). And I can agree with you once more. If that guy upstairs can grant me one wish for a last bike ride anywhere in the world, that would be the Argus route in Cape Town.
My post was missing a smiley face. I hope you got my intent! I did a shortened Argus one year (fires), but was able to do the closed bits later. At least I got to ride on a closed highway on the original date.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 10-23-20, 09:57 PM
btppberk

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
ooga-booga, I want to know your answer.

Due to fire, heat, and, worst of all, work, I've only gotten two of the inland San Diego road in: Mesa Grande and Kitchen Creek. I think Mesa Grande is the more beautiful.
Likes For btppberk:
Old 10-24-20, 01:11 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by btppberk
ooga-booga, I want to know your answer.

Due to fire, heat, and, worst of all, work, I've only gotten two of the inland San Diego road in: Mesa Grande and Kitchen Creek. I think Mesa Grande is the more beautiful.

apples/oranges. i really like the solitude of both. prefer riding mesa grande north to south...obviously a huge effort up that initial mile-long grade but afterwards, much of it is downhlll
and the uphill parts of the rollers aren't too difficult. riding it south to north has charms as welll, especially if you can slow/stop the bike on the final descent to take in the view or a picture
of lake henshaw. spring is best.

kitchen creek is excellent for the climb, solitude and for toughening yourself up. it's far enough from civilization where you'll have to adapt, overcome and calculate on the fly
whether it's quicker to climb up to mt. laguna store or back to pine valley because you're low on water/bonking/mechanical issue/weather issue/physical issue. either way will involve serious effort.
not totally in the boonies but close. if you want to do long, unsupported solo rides in san diego county or elsewhere, kitchen creek is a good primer that forces you to accurately evaluate weather,
your fitness, your mental stamina and determination.

right now...it's tough to beat the ascent of wynola road (ne of julian) for the vibes, sights and colors in san diego county. road surface ain't great so ascent is recommended vs descent.

if you liked kitchen creek, you'll love boulder creek rd. just bring your '28's...

Last edited by diphthong; 10-24-20 at 02:50 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-24-20, 02:36 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I'd have to say I'd probably wanna do a Wellie-Bootin. 17km downhill, down Mt Wellington, in Hobart, Tasmania. If I played my cards right, there'd be at least 8 pub stops on the way... plus a bunch of good friends as drunk as me...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1683288705275035
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 10-24-20, 02:42 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

sounds like a north to south 30th street pub ride here in san diego. there may or may not be parking lot consumption...

Last edited by diphthong; 10-24-20 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-24-20, 11:14 AM
btppberk

I did like the solitude and remoteness of Kitchen Creek. Felt a bit like backpacking. I think its probably a lot more beautiful when it isn't so brown and a bit hazy.

You've whet my appetite for Boulder Creek. Need to get some wheels that can take 28s first. I tried putting them on my narrow rims, and was getting pinch flats with every pothole.

Thanks for the tip on Wynola. WIll try for Wednesday. It's gonna be cold for a few days and I left all my cold-weather gear on the East Coast!
Likes For btppberk:
Old 10-24-20, 01:27 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

I did like the solitude and remoteness of Kitchen Creek. Felt a bit like backpacking. I think its probably a lot more beautiful when it isn't so brown and a bit hazy.

You've whet my appetite for Boulder Creek. Need to get some wheels that can take 28s first. I tried putting them on my narrow rims, and was getting pinch flats with every pothole.

Thanks for the tip on Wynola. WIll try for Wednesday. It's gonna be cold for a few days and I left all my cold-weather gear on the East Coast!
boulder creek is about 20 miles with a big chunk of it on dirt. i recommend doing it south to north. zero services (except on the ends in descanso and wynola/julian) and phone service is spotty at best so be prepared. i’ve only done it on cheaper ‘23’s (would not do it on the nice conti 5000’s or michelin pro 4’s) but i can’t recommend doing it on anything less than ‘28’s. northern maze of roads can be a little confusing before you hit ca hwys 78/79 in between wynola and julian so map it out first.

along with wynola rd, i’d try to do farmers rd (which intersects wynola rd. near the summit) as well. shortish-like 2.5 miles-and takes you directly to/from julian. it’s pretty and worth mixing in.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-24-20 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 11:18 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I have no idea in SoCal, but its definitely going to be a HC climb somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

My last ride will definitely be the Stelvio. Hopefully I can make it there someday.
Old 10-30-20, 01:20 AM
btppberk

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
apples/oranges. i really like the solitude of both. prefer riding mesa grande north to south...obviously a huge effort up that initial mile-long grade but afterwards, much of it is downhlll
and the uphill parts of the rollers aren't too difficult. riding it south to north has charms as welll, especially if you can slow/stop the bike on the final descent to take in the view or a picture
of lake henshaw. spring is best.

kitchen creek is excellent for the climb, solitude and for toughening yourself up. it's far enough from civilization where you'll have to adapt, overcome and calculate on the fly
whether it's quicker to climb up to mt. laguna store or back to pine valley because you're low on water/bonking/mechanical issue/weather issue/physical issue. either way will involve serious effort.
not totally in the boonies but close. if you want to do long, unsupported solo rides in san diego county or elsewhere, kitchen creek is a good primer that forces you to accurately evaluate weather,
your fitness, your mental stamina and determination.

right now...it's tough to beat the ascent of wynola road (ne of julian) for the vibes, sights and colors in san diego county. road surface ain't great so ascent is recommended vs descent.

if you liked kitchen creek, you'll love boulder creek rd. just bring your '28's...
Hoping to get a ride in tomorrow (Friday). You take wynola up and farmer's down, ooga-booga? To make it longer, Mesa Grande I presume? Thanks as always.
Old 10-30-20, 01:42 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Hoping to get a ride in tomorrow (Friday). You take wynola up and farmer's down, ooga-booga? To make it longer, Mesa Grande I presume? Thanks as always.
generally. it's better that way as wynola rd is better to ascend than descend with the pavement quality. don't recall there being any pavement issues with farmers rd.
there is a brewery and pie shop (separate properties in julian) at the south end of farmers rd. you have been warned. that said, i do like the nickel brewing co on the
other end of town just past the high school and at the top of banner grade. i think they're only open fri-sun currently.

either the mesa grande loop or the 79/engineers rd/boulder creek rd (paved part)/eagle peak rd/pine hills rd/78-79 loop. both will have about 30 miles and
2,500 feet of el gain to/from julian. they're both great. the second option can be a little confusing so map it out, memorize it, download it to your riding computer
or old-school tape a written turn by turn piece of paper to the top of your stem. second option has a few stretches of pavement along the boulder creek rd and
eagle peak rd sections to keep an eye on here and there. if you wanna go large from julian, you could add either the laguna/cuyamaca triangle (60 miles and 6,000
ft el gain or the palomar loop (40 miles and 4,000 ft el gain) or either of the borrego springs/anza-borrego loops (#1. 35 miles and 3,600 ft el gain. #2 . 70 miles and 4,500 ft el gain).

Last edited by diphthong; 10-30-20 at 02:15 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-30-20, 12:29 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
Just thought of another: Make a day of it doing climbs as possible out of the Owens Valley and into the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mtns. Whitney Portal Road, Onion Valley Road, Westgard Pass (actually in the White Mtns &.Inyo Mtns), Bishop Creek, Tioga Pass, and that hill on Hwy 395 just north of Mono Lake.
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-30-20, 08:57 PM
btppberk

79/engineers rd/boulder creek rd (paved part)/eagle peak rd/pine hills rd/78-79 loop.
Thanks for the advice. I loved it! Wynola and Farmers are nice but so short. Luckily the rest was great as well!

I really appreciate the help, as always.
Old 10-31-20, 12:46 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Thanks for the advice. I loved it! Wynola and Farmers are nice but so short. Luckily the rest was great as well!

I really appreciate the help, as always.
glad you were able to make it out there. 38 miles or so?
Old 10-31-20, 11:54 AM
btppberk

only 28 miles and 2700 feet
Likes For btppberk:
Old 11-05-20, 11:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,026 Times in 4,469 Posts
Haven't been here in a while. One of my favorite SoCal rides is the 4 counties ride, aka Heartbreak century. Scenic, quiet, and 8300 feet of climbing.

Likes For big john:
Old 11-06-20, 01:30 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by big john
Haven't been here in a while. One of my favorite SoCal rides is the 4 counties ride, aka Heartbreak century. Scenic, quiet, and 8300 feet of climbing.

have previewed 2/3's of that ride. have never driven or ridden lockwood valley rd from the ranger station at the northern end of hwy 33
just before it climbs south into the topa topa mtns all the way to frazier park. i'm assuming there are no little bodegas, general stores or
convenience stores one can stop at for water or a quick snack. last two times i've tried to drive it (in the last five years) it was closed to
through traffic. just my luck. that stretch from the 33/166 junction south is pretty boring but the stretch west of frazier park that turns into
hudson valley rd gets incredibly scenic, open and beautiful on the western segment-esp in spring. i always tell myself i'm gonna ride it
but if i'm out there, i'm on my way to/from carrizo plain natl monument. hopefully this spring...

Last edited by diphthong; 11-06-20 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-06-20, 09:43 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,026 Times in 4,469 Posts
have previewed 2/3's of that ride. have never driven or ridden lockwood valley rd from the ranger station at the northern end of hwy 33
just before it climbs south into the topa topa mtns all the way to frazier park. i'm assuming there are no little bodegas, general stores or
convenience stores one can stop at for water or a quick snack. last two times i've tried to drive it (in the last five years) it was closed to
through traffic. just my luck. that stretch from the 33/166 junction south is pretty boring but the stretch west of frazier park that turns into
hudson valley rd gets incredibly scenic, open and beautiful on the western segment-esp in spring. i always tell myself i'm gonna ride it
but if i'm out there, i'm on my way to/from carrizo plain natl monument. hopefully this spring...
We used to do it with the LA Wheelmen and they supported it. Our club, the SFVBC, sagged it a couple times. I've done it solo and with a small group unsupported. Always starting in Frazier Park or just west of there, there is a store in Pine Mountain Club but it's early. On hwy 166 there is a pistachio farm which has a c-store with homemade sandwiches and other stuff. That's where I would fuel up. There is a bar called The Place on hwy 33 and we used to go there but not for years.

The ranger station had water at one time but I don't think so anymore. Once on Lockwood Valley Road there is nothing except Camp Shiedeck, which is a bar near the west end and it's on a dirt road way off the main road. It's about 25 miles from 33 to the east end of Lockwood Valley road and there is a lot of climbing. I wouldn't try it unsupported when it's hot, I couldn't carry enough water. i did it solo once when there was a light drizzle and I had a glorious time. I think Lockwood Valley is one of the most beautiful areas of SoCal.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-06-20, 06:24 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
^^^^Thanks Big John for the write up. Looks like registration for 2021 starts in January. I usually do not do organized events but that one looks like an epic route and scenery but not too much for me to handle.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-06-20, 06:49 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
There have been a lot of great rides listed here, a few I may actually get on, but the whole premise is a bit off.

These are all great rides and achievements that are worth savoring, commiserating, and even bragging about for a while!
I 'd want to do those rides with plenty of time to remember and relive.

I'd want by last ride to be something more like. "I made it around the block".
Likes For TGT1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.