Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Negotiation:how much is too much?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Negotiation:how much is too much?

Old 10-25-20, 05:32 AM
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No negotiation on bike price. Maybe ask about some water bottle cages or something.

There's very low markup on bikes.
really, bottle cages lmao

last year’s 3700 euro Emonda SL6 Pro went for 2600 last month and went out of stock in a few days, I’m not sure if markup is very low
Old 10-25-20, 06:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Why would you expect to get Ultegra for the price of 105?
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79
im seeing colnago CLX Ultegra disc for 2600, Canyon Ultimate Ultegra disc for 2700, Giant TCR Ultegra discs for 2600 and many other bikes that have similar specs (sometimes even better specs in cases like giant and the canyon) that don’t cost anywhere near 3300. Also not saying 2700 exactly, even 2900 will do
Then it seems like you should buy a Canyon. Or a Colnago. Or a Giant.

Even if it were easy to get discounts right now – and it’s not, due to short supplies and high demand – I would not ask for one. When I buy an expensive bike from a shop, I’m looking to establish (or strengthen) a relationship. I ride my bikes a lot, service and repairs are important to me. I want them to be happy when I walk in the door - not to roll their eyes and shake their heads.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-20, 07:00 AM
ritzkraft79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Even if it were easy to get discounts right now – and it’s not, due to short supplies and high demand – I would not ask for one. When I buy an expensive bike from a shop, I’m looking to establish (or strengthen) a relationship. I ride my bikes a lot, service and repairs are important to me. I want them to be happy when I walk in the door - not to roll their eyes and shake their heads.
I can’t negotiate by letting them know the price of competition?
Old 10-25-20, 07:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

I probably wouldn't give them such an easy pass. Heck we're heading into holiday shopping season (though not sure how much of a thing that is in the OP's market/country*), where just about everything can go on sale -- at the very least I'd ask if there will be upcoming seasonal sales. Sales are typically supported by the bike manufacturers; if the LBS says they're not happening then so be it. If they roll their eyes, they're just reinforcing consumer sentiment that we don't need physical retailers -- one can avoid the snarkiness by shopping online. As for other big brands that have similarly configured products at lower pricepoints, make the Trek LBS "salesperson" tell you why his bike is worth the extra -- you know.. actual selling points. Ask him how much less his bike weighs vs. the other brands'. They love that

*We're all saying there's a shortage, but I'm not sure it's the same for all countries and all brands and all retailers. Even here in NY, i've been in shops with apparent low inventory (not much in the racks), and other shops where the racks are full of bikes and have stayed that way, even as you watch product walking out the door.
Old 10-25-20, 07:06 AM
ritzkraft79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I probably wouldn't give them such an easy pass. Heck we're heading into holiday shopping season (though not sure how much of a thing that is in the OP's market/country*), where just about everything can go on sale -- at the very least I'd ask if there will be upcoming seasonal sales. Sales are typically supported by the bike manufacturers; if the LBS says they're not happening then so be it. If they roll their eyes, they're just reinforcing consumer sentiment that we don't need physical retailers -- one can avoid the snarkiness by shopping online. As for other big brands that have similarly configured products at lower pricepoints, make the Trek LBS "salesperson" tell you why his bike is worth the extra -- you know.. actual selling points. Ask him how much less his bike weighs vs. the other brands'. They love that

*We're all saying there's a shortage, but I'm not sure it's the same for all countries and all brands and all retailers. Even here in NY, i've been in shops with apparent low inventory (not much in the racks), and other shops where the racks are full of bikes and have stayed that way, even as you watch product walking out the door.
whats strange is that all the bikes in this price point are a kilo lighter than the emonda I am looking at. 9kg for a climbing bike seems counterintuitive, and the fact that it costs a big chunk more is more questionable.
Old 10-25-20, 07:19 AM
Koyote

I can’t negotiate by letting them know the price of competition?
If those other bikes are similar enough that the shop should match their prices, then they’re similar enough that you can just buy one of them.

But if you don’t regard them as perfect substitutes, why should the shop see it that way?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-20, 07:20 AM
Koyote

whats strange is that all the bikes in this price point are a kilo lighter than the emonda I am looking at. 9kg for a climbing bike seems counterintuitive, and the fact that it costs a big chunk more is more questionable.
So, buy one of the other bikes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-20, 07:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
I've read that the Emonda is a new design for 2021 with some aero "improvements." That may account for some weight and reluctance to discount. Please report back with details of your purchase.
Old 10-25-20, 07:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
When starting negotiating on a bike, what’s a good offer to start with a 2021 model Trek Emonda? The MSRP is 3400 euro but I know almost nobody pays MSRP. I don’t want to offend the dealer and risk having a bad relation with the only trek dealer in my city.
Ask for 20% off.

I mean, I wouldn't do that and I wouldn't recommend doing that, but it seems as if you're only going to listen to what you want to hear, despite saying that you don't want to offend them.
Old 10-25-20, 07:33 AM
ritzkraft79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ask for 20% off.

I mean, I wouldn't do that and I wouldn't recommend doing that, but it seems as if you're only going to listen to what you want to hear, despite saying that you don't want to offend them.
ok
Old 10-25-20, 07:37 AM
ritzkraft79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If those other bikes are similar enough that the shop should match their prices, then they’re similar enough that you can just buy one of them.

But if you don’t regard them as perfect substitutes, why should the shop see it that way?
Eh then I guess there’s no reason to support local bike shops, literally everything is better online.
Old 10-25-20, 07:42 AM
Koyote

Eh then I guess there’s no reason to support local bike shops, literally everything is better online.
So, just to make sure I understand you correctly: you want to "support" an actual local bike shop, but you don't want to acknowledge that they have higher costs than online sellers?

Seems like you should just buy a bike online, and then hope that you don't need any sort of follow-up service.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-20, 07:45 AM
ritzkraft79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, just to make sure I understand you correctly: you want to "support" an actual local bike shop, but you don't want to acknowledge that they have higher costs than online sellers?

Seems like you should just buy a bike online, and then hope that you don't need any sort of follow-up service.
i want to buy a trek bike from an actual store because trek doesn’t sell online, but if the prices are high then I was going to negotiate, because other local bike shops that carry other brands like giant have lower prices and sales. I know how to maintain my bike so I don’t need aftermarket service, I am not going to travel across the city just to service my bike. I understand canyon prices are lower because they only sell direct online, but I don’t see why the Emonda costs more than local competition and has less features
Old 10-25-20, 07:54 AM
WhyFi

... but I don’t see why the Emonda costs more than local competition and has less features
So why do you want it?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-25-20, 07:54 AM
ritzkraft79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So why do you want it?
I kinda like it
Old 10-25-20, 08:10 AM
WhyFi

I kinda like it
Why? Color? Look? Brand cachet? Lifetime warranty?

You keep talking about how it comes up short vs the competition, yet the competition doesn't seem to be worth the asking price to you.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-25-20, 08:16 AM
ritzkraft79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why? Color? Look? Brand cachet? Lifetime warranty?

You keep talking about how it comes up short vs the competition, yet the competition doesn't seem to be worth the asking price to you.
the looks. I’m considering all bikes from manufacturers I can reach, many are not available. Giant has better components but so so looks, canyon is back ordered to July 2021, Bianchi isn’t even trying at this price point. I already have specialized so I want to try other brands. The trek looks the best and there’s the bonus of being able to buy it from a real store but if the price is non negotiable then I’m going to look elsewhere. Every bike has its big plus, I’m looking at options.
Old 10-25-20, 08:45 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
really, bottle cages lmao

last year’s 3700 euro Emonda SL6 Pro went for 2600 last month and went out of stock in a few days, I’m not sure if markup is very low
People starting threads with the sole intention of justifying their dumb behavior = lmao.
Old 10-25-20, 08:46 AM
ritzkraft79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
People starting threads with the sole intention of justifying their dumb behavior = lmao.
Worth a shot in this dead forum. Thanks for commenting
Old 10-25-20, 08:49 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Worth a shot in this dead forum. Thanks for commenting
Trolls gotta troll.
Old 10-25-20, 08:49 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
When starting negotiating on a bike, what’s a good offer to start with a 2021 model Trek Emonda? The MSRP is 3400 euro but I know almost nobody pays MSRP. I don’t want to offend the dealer and risk having a bad relation with the only trek dealer in my city. I am looking at the lower tier 2700 euro 105 version undiscounted but if I can get the Ultegra model for a similar price I would jump on that.
Right now, I'd be surprised if the dealer doesn't politely tell you to "go pound sand". Bikes are in very short supply, and there's no reason to give anyone a special deal.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-25-20, 08:50 AM
ritzkraft79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Right now, I'd be surprised if the dealer doesn't politely tell you to "go pound sand". Bikes are in very short supply, and there's no reason to give anyone a special deal.
yeah and then they ask themselves why online dealers are winning lmao

It ain’t 1980 anymore granddad
Old 10-25-20, 08:51 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I bought a 2019 Scott Addict SE on "clearance" a couple of months ago. Was surprised it was on sale TBH. I paid less than $5000 cdn for a full Di2 bike.

​In the end, your local dealer will either negotiate, or not. As has been mentioned, it's a sellers market right now. If not you, then the person after you will buy it. But you can always ask, can't hurt.
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 10-25-20, 08:52 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Nothing wrong with an Emonda... if it fits. If it doesn't then it's a nice wall decoration.

The reason I bought mine was I had a Madone 4 prior to it and the Emonda had the same geometry since the Madone turned into a aero bike. But if I didn't have 3 years of already riding a similar frame I would of thought a dozen times about dropping that muich cash down.

Hey... did you get a professional fit? Most fitters can tell you what frames are good for you.
Old 10-25-20, 08:56 AM
WhyFi

It ain’t 1980 anymore granddad
But it is 2020.
Likes For WhyFi:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.