Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

CV bike weights

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

CV bike weights

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 10:42 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
So, is a 9-46 freewheel worth the weight?
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-29-20, 04:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
My bikes weigh what they need to for comfort at my advanced age and riding preferences. Both are 63cm-frames weights listed as they could actually be ridden with pedals, my preferred leather saddles, etc.

Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer: 24.6 lbs/11.18 kg, no rear rack, pump or headlight. 25.5 lb as photographed. My early notes say it was 24.2 lb when first built with Open Pro rims, 28mm tires, lighter pedals, bar and stem using a different scale. I suspect that scale might have been optimistic.

Miyata 912 with Gugificazione! 27.53 lb/12.48 kg, including the custom rack supporting the rando bag, decaleur and plastic fenders that hadn’t been reinstalled when I took this. It was 25.2 lb pre-Gugificazione as a 1979 912 updated with Sachs 8-speed Ergo, triple, no fenders.

The rando bag shown with normal contents adds almost 5 lb but creates a remarkably versatile rain/errand bike. FWIW, a largish rear bag similarly equipped adds about 4.3 lbs to the Marinoni, almost as versatile when the roads are dry, since it’s easy to throw a pannier or two on its rear rack.

Rant mode ON: Whenever I weigh my bikes, the test engineer in me requires so many qualifiers, as you’ve no doubt noticed. The posts that show bikes as they are actually used seem most valid, or perhaps bare frame weights, which few of us know or remember to measure when we have a chance. (FWIW, the big red SLX Marinoni with CK headset and full chrome under the paint was 7.1 lb/3225 kg.)

Most of the posted weights in this thread are of academic interest, at best. (But the associated bike p**n is fun.) What’s with weighing minus pedals? Last time I checked, we need pedals to operate them. And why not include the frame size, since that significantly effects the result. Thanks to those who included that info.

If bragging rights are the goal, start with the smallest possible frame, weigh with an unpadded CF saddle (that few would actually use for any distance) and super short CF seat post, shortest and lowest stem, blah, blah, blah. Rant mode OFF.
Totally agree with the pedals BUT the factories were notorious for showing them onboard but weighing them without so......

Frame size is another not warm , fuzzy point, many factories used stronger, heavier tubes and builders recommended it so the frame would flex less and be strong enough in larger sizes,

Our love of leather saddles skews us as well, IME a Brooks adds 1/2 lb. on average over most lighter saddles, big tough tires don't help either.
Old 10-29-20, 06:54 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Yep, frame size matters. For instance, a 64cm frame made with Columbus SP or SPX will weigh noticeably more than the same make and model that is 55cm and made with SL or SLX. Not tons more, but noticeably more.

My bikes are tall and heavy (62-64 cm ctc, 24-26 pounds). So am I (6'3" and 250). My heaviest bike has the best ride. It's made from SP.

I'd love to be able to ride a weight-weenie special, but that simply will not work for me. And it's not like a lighter bike is going to propel me to the front of the peloton charging up the Tourmalet.
Old 10-30-20, 04:24 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Some more weights. All bikes weighed without bags, bottles or pumps. The pink ones are mrs non-fixie's.