Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo ERGO 8s Levers - 1994 or 1995?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 04:41 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

I don't have much experience with Campy and came upon a little issue while pulling what I thought was a 1994 Athena gruppo off a 1994 Litespeed Classic.
For what it's worth, the person I purchased from said he is the original owner and the parts were all original to the bike.
The bike is a near replica of the model shown in the 1994 Litespeed catalog and so everything looks correct as best as I can tell.
The main issue is I broke some small plastic parts that surrounded the pin that connects each brake lever to its respective main body.

Shown first are the brake levers, pins, broken plastic sleeve, unbroken collars, and a hood from this group.

Shown next are the ERGO diagrams from 1994 and 1995.

My parts seem to have 1994 designed levers, but with 1995 lever pin sleeve and collars and 1995 design hoods.
All other parts on these ERGO units appear to be the same as in the 1994 diagram.

It's clear the plastic sleeve and collars are needed for my levers as the pin is a significantly smaller diameter than the hole (shown in the lever on the right). Are these small plastic parts available anywhere? I searched on vintage Campy ergo parts and checked eBay, Branford, and SS Cycleworks with no success.

Is the 1994 diagram just not showing the plastic parts, or was a larger diameter pin used then and for some reason they decided to ship mine with a smaller pin and plastic bushing and collars?
In the 1994 diagram, it almost looks like the lever has an embedded collar around the hole where the pin goes. This circle isn't seen in the 1995 diagram, nor is it evident in my levers in the photo above.
It's just really unclear to me what's going on with my levers and the mix of 1994 and 1995 parts and designs in what is supposed to have been a 1994 gruppo.

Any insight into this is much appreciated. I'm not strong into Campy and might just sell this gruppo anyway, but I hate not being able to service something successfully or able to tell a prospective buyer what is being offered.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 10-29-20, 06:16 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Mercian Cycles (U.K.) has a large stock of spare parts for Ergo units.
https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/prod...lo-ergospares/
They invite you to write them on their contact form on their website to ask for what you need. If you can quote them the part number, which you have already looked up, they can tell you if they have it, or can get it. Don't be optimistic.
Royal Mail from the U.K. is quick and not terribly expensive, although will likely be more than the part (unless you end up ordering a replacement lever.)
Good luck.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 10-29-20, 06:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Potential good info there!

Already tough to find small bits.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-29-20, 07:41 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Mercian Cycles (U.K.) has a large stock of spare parts for Ergo units.
https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/prod...lo-ergospares/
They invite you to write them on their contact form on their website to ask for what you need. If you can quote them the part number, which you have already looked up, they can tell you if they have it, or can get it. Don't be optimistic.
Royal Mail from the U.K. is quick and not terribly expensive, although will likely be more than the part (unless you end up ordering a replacement lever.)
Good luck.
Originally Posted by repechage
Potential good info there! Already tough to find small bits.
Thanks both! I just came across another oddity. I'm using Zinn's Cycling Primer and the text about "Upgrading Campagnolo Ergo Levers" specifically as a guide to the disassembly. His text indicates the central bolts in the main body holding everything in place are LH threaded on both sides. I found that to be true for the R lever body, but the L lever body was RH threaded. This stuff is driving me nutty.

Old 10-29-20, 10:26 PM
SpeedofLite 

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Thanks both! I just came across another oddity. I'm using Zinn's Cycling Primer and the text about "Upgrading Campagnolo Ergo Levers" specifically as a guide to the disassembly. His text indicates the central bolts in the main body holding everything in place are LH threaded on both sides. I found that to be true for the R lever body, but the L lever body was RH threaded.
Contrary to Zinn, the Barnett Bicycle Institute manual indicates the main screws are LH thread for the right ERGO unit and RH thread for the left ERGO unit.
And that's the case with mine.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 10-29-20, 10:54 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Contrary to Zinn, the Barnett Bicycle Institute manual indicates the main screws are LH thread for the right ERGO unit and RH thread for the left ERGO unit.
And that's the case with mine.
It's been a while since I operated on one, but that's how I recall it.
Likes For P!N20: