Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1985 Colnago Super 'Victory'

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 07:32 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
1985 Colnago Super 'Victory'

Just purchased this and more than proud and on edge waiting for it to finally be delivered. The frame looks stunning with obvious chips here and there and decals splitting just at the seam but over all, straight and no rust to be found. The components are a complete match with Campagnolo Victory drive train, brakes and headset/BB , 3TT pantograph cockpit while all rolling on Campagnolo hubs attached to tubular Ambrosio Montreal rims. To me, this has been a dream of mine to own one. As a kid in the 2000s, I found Peugeots and a couple early Somecs that have been forgotten. I'm 26 now and finally stumbled upon something I've only seen in faded out posters in bike shops.

I was hoping to just get some insight. I understand the Columbus SP vs SL tubing and how Campagnolos 'Victory' was practically Shimano's 105 today. I paid 850. I just want other opinions since none of my cycling buddies really care unless it is equipped with the latest Di2.

I wish I could post a picture but first post rules. Frame is clean and components shine.
Likes For Yelbom15:
Old 10-26-20, 11:53 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
Op gallery,
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/19557881
Old 10-26-20, 12:19 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
price is ballpark ---

this bike falls into the category of a "grail bicycle" it sounds like for you so in my mind - its ok to pay whatever it takes if you love it and will ride it into the ground.

I paid around $1500 after shipping for my Super . It was a restored example with an 8 speed Record/Delta groupset that looked brand new after the resto paint. I had to have it so didnt balk at the price a bit
Old 10-26-20, 12:27 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Following also - I just bought one of these recently and it was my worse by in like forever. Mainly because I saw a red Colnago and lost my freaking mind and paid too much.

Now that said, mine had all the victory components too but hadn't been well treated. First rides showed a comfortable, fast bike but with no brakes, balky shifting, etc. But I spent a couple of weeks tearing it all down, cleaning, degreasing, lubing, polishing, etc. Put on a modern wheelset, a modern 8 speed cassette but kept the rest of the Victory parts. New Kool Stop pads also.

Don't underestimate the Victory parts. They are quite beautful when cleaned up and with a proper service they work amazingly well. New cables and modern cable housing will help too.

I still can't tell you what a true value is on these but at least mine now works amazingly well and the ride is totally worthy of the Colnago name.

20 lbs, 3 Ozs as pictured below. These frames have plenty of room to throw in bigger tires.

As I've got it set up now.
Old 10-26-20, 01:03 PM
Yelbom15

That’s going to be the first thing I go for once it comes in. Drool, disassemble, polish and replace basic parts. And just so I’m aware, you are able to place an 8 speed hub on here? I know the down tube shifters aren’t indexed but just curious if there’s enough throw to allow it to run all 8 gears. If so, that’ll probably be the first thing I do once the bike is looked over.
Old 10-26-20, 01:08 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Yep, the wheelset is actually a Shimano freehub and I used a brand new SRAM 8 speed cassette. Jut had to adjust the limits on the RD. I took the shifters all apart and cleaned every piece up. I even used a little metal polish insside the barrel sections of them. They work so precisely now with a very light touch and so far I have had to touch the mounting screw for tightness. It was suggested to use blue locktite on that once set up but so have I haven't needed it.
Old 10-26-20, 01:13 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I use new chromed Sunrace 7-speed freewheels with my Victory/Triomphe bikes. Work great and they're only around $20 shipped on ebay.
Old 10-26-20, 02:58 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
because I saw a red Colnago and lost my freaking mind and paid What i wanted to pay - LOL .

Understand completely
Old 10-26-20, 05:21 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
Just purchased this and more than proud and on edge waiting for it to finally be delivered. The frame looks stunning with obvious chips here and there and decals splitting just at the seam but over all, straight and no rust to be found. The components are a complete match with Campagnolo Victory drive train, brakes and headset/BB , 3TT pantograph cockpit while all rolling on Campagnolo hubs attached to tubular Ambrosio Montreal rims. To me, this has been a dream of mine to own one. As a kid in the 2000s, I found Peugeots and a couple early Somecs that have been forgotten. I'm 26 now and finally stumbled upon something I've only seen in faded out posters in bike shops.

I was hoping to just get some insight. I understand the Columbus SP vs SL tubing and how Campagnolos 'Victory' was practically Shimano's 105 today. I paid 850. I just want other opinions since none of my cycling buddies really care unless it is equipped with the latest Di2.

I wish I could post a picture but first post rules. Frame is clean and components shine.
Good thing you found us, new buddies for old stuff, all good.
Old 10-26-20, 06:47 PM
jamesdak 

Ugh...so I just found a picture of a Colnago I looked at last year and turned down. Felt it was too rough for his asking price of $450 if my memory holds true:

This was the bike.

Lot's of paint blemishes to include that top tube mess and a broken rear wheel/hub.

Once I got the one I bought and started really looking at it I suspected it was the one I turned down above. Then tonight I found the picture above and yeah, same bike for sure. That top tube blemish was crudely repainted, the decals on mine are new and poorly applied, same wheels with the repaired hub, same mismatched tires, same bottle cage, same parts, same bike. Higher price.......dammit! Funny how that works sometimes, LOL!

How mine looked when I brought it home.

So there's a little pricing help for you...maybe..... Let's just say that's some expensive bar tape, hoods,and saddle. Sometimes I'm just an IDIOT.

Still love the bike now though. Such a good ride fixed up!
Old 10-29-20, 07:22 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
BOTH GREAT LOOKING AND RIDING BIKES !!!

LOVE the RED !!!!

Enjoy !!!!
Old 10-29-20, 07:43 PM
Yelbom15

Thank you guys! UPS says Friday so fingers crossed
Old 10-30-20, 08:52 PM
jamesdak 

^ Did it come?
Old 11-16-20, 04:16 AM
meeshoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike looks so cool! ;-)
Old 11-19-20, 08:05 PM
JR35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These red Colnagos are unreal...nice guys!