Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Idaho Rolling Stop: Coming to California

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Idaho Rolling Stop: Coming to California

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 12:37 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
They added another four way stop over near one of the elementary schools here a week or two back because there were at least 4 collisions a year from people running the existing signs. There are many intersections I'm not about to dare to roll through.

And I don't run in the middle of the lane as a general rule...I cross at the crosswalks and after I'm acknowledged.

Nobody lives here but they drive a lot of cars.
Old 06-23-18, 06:51 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Since this practice has been accepted as the norm by both cyclists and motorists in my area, we don't need no stinkin' legislation. It's also common practice here to zoom through red signals as long as it's within five seconds of changing. School buses are allowed 10 seconds.
Old 06-23-18, 10:04 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Never happen in Illinois! They did pass an amendment this year that permits cyclists to ride on the shoulder and to use a red taillight instead of the required rear read reflector!
Old 06-24-18, 07:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
We were always told as kids not to say too loudly where we were from when visiting family in OR.

Of course, having abandoned the state myself now, well, I still don't.
Here in Malheur County we love it if you just buy our stuff.
Old 06-24-18, 07:36 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Here in Malheur County we love it if you just buy our stuff.
No sales tax... of course we bought your stuff.
(sadly, I think Bend is the closest I've ever been to Malheur County)
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 06-25-18, 09:00 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Since this practice has been accepted as the norm by both cyclists and motorists in my area, we don't need no stinkin' legislation. It's also common practice here to zoom through red signals as long as it's within five seconds of changing. School buses are allowed 10 seconds.
Well you live in a place called Monkey Bottom, so I'm sure everybody has a good sense of humor about that kind of thing
Old 06-30-18, 05:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
No sales tax... of course we bought your stuff.
(sadly, I think Bend is the closest I've ever been to Malheur County)
We had to fight that in the city of Ontario *they tried to pass a 1% sales tax and we had to vote against it, but they're bound and determined to fee us to death.
Old 07-05-18, 08:32 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Yes, I am reusing something I wrote in another thread. The argument hasn't changed since I wrote it.

This conversation occurs frequently, the "same rules for all" crowd and the "sensible rules based on the nature of the vehicle" counterpoint.

It generally goes like this:
I often wonder how many of the "same rules for everyone" advocates stop before crossing rail-road tracks and open their doors. It makes sense right, after all, school busses are vehicles; thus, using the "same rules for everyone" logic, the rule exists for vehicles and should be the same for all vehicles.

While I have often felt that the operators of commercial vehicles (and vehicles that DOT recognises as trucks) should all have to meet the medical and hours of service requirements of operators of commercial vehicles, they don't. I worked at a place where the riders of bicycles were required to dismount and push their bicycles through the gate but people in autos didn't have to get out of the auto and push it through the gate. I can go on; however, while all are vehicles, different classes of vehicles often have different rules applied to them.
To which the response is some sort of:
This is a silly comparison. We are not driving commercially with passengers so of course the rules for school buses are not the same for us.
But if you want to be equal on the road and have the same rights then you must also accept the same rules. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. :^)
And that is greeted by the reply of:
But why not?

Are you saying that a school bus isn't a vehicle or are you saying that rules that make sense for some vehicles, due to their nature, don't make sense for others. As such, even though both must obey "the law" that the laws they must obey should be different based on the nature of the vehicle?

(oh, and the commercial vehicles comment is aimed at SUVs'. As you may be aware, the reason they do not have to meet the safety standards of automobiles is because they are intended for commercial use and are likely to be driven by more professional drivers. Which is utter nonsense. . . but they really do not have to met the safety standards of passenger cars. . . you know, different vehicles, different rules, that stuff. . . )
And it goes on and on. . .

So, to ask, when driving an auto do you come to a full stop and open your doors before crossing railroad tracks?

Oh, you don't drive an auto. . . well, this still works. When you come to a set of railroad tracks do you move to the rightmost lane (or haz-mat turnout), come to a complete stop, look both ways and then proceed, being sure to not shift gears while your vehicle is on the tracks & track region?
Old 07-12-18, 11:41 AM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where are all these stop signs? I see it pretty much a moot point (at least where I'm located). Stop signs are rare except in dense residential neighborhoods where traffic is slower and bicyclists regularly "Idaho stop" at every one of them with little risk of ticket or collision. I'd much rather see electronic traffic lights modified to make it easier to cross or left turn. For instance, red light = stop sign for cyclists and more diagonal crossing signals (i.e. an all ways stop for cars on a cycle and an ok lamp to diagonal across "the box" to the other side). Most of my near death moments are trying to cross or turn onto busy surface roads.
Old 07-12-18, 01:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
You're right, most residential stop signs probably don't matter. I have in mind though a series of 3 stop signs which are in a residential area that is pretty highly trafficked because it's a good shortcut. Almost every evening I end up negotiating at least one of those 3 signs with a car that's there at the same time.