Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

XB3 Russian Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 05:33 AM
Midnite

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi SLR 200 - Decathlon BFOLD 3 - Kron MTB 2300 - 89 Peugeot Saint Bernard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
XB3 Russian Bike

Dear Friends,

I came across with this ad, the seller told me it is a Russian bike - he wants 140USD for it.

Do you think it is a bike to restore and keep it for years ?

Old 03-25-19, 05:52 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
The Russians apparently had some framebuilding techniques that involved riding the bike into a curb to get the proper bend in the top tube and down tube.

(Looks badly damaged. Pass big time. Real value tops out at 5$)

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 03-25-19, 06:46 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Even if the frame wasn't bent, it would only be worth about 1/4 the asking price.
Old 03-25-19, 06:54 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Shop less, study more. Spend time going through this sub-forum, looking at what is valuable. Nothing on that bike meets the valuable criteria. You need to educate yourself so you can spot the difference between good, mediocre and bad. Its really not that hard to become knowledgeable.

And you have mentioned restoring a bike. Restoration typically only makes sense if you have the time/tools/aptitude/workshop space/pile of parts. Otherwise, buying one fully restored will make more sense.

Badly crashed bottom end bike with major frame damage = worthless here.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-26-19 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 07:23 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Its toast, those are rough built but honestly of it were clean I would have tried to negotiate and bought. The USSR decal and star on forks make it collectible to me. Also like the single chainring and bars.
Old 03-25-19, 08:07 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I'm curious what the market is like in Turkey. I assume the supply is really limited. How hard is it to make it to France?
Old 03-25-19, 08:08 AM
Midnite

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi SLR 200 - Decathlon BFOLD 3 - Kron MTB 2300 - 89 Peugeot Saint Bernard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm curious what the market is like in Turkey. I assume the supply is really limited. How hard is it to make it to France?
You want to purchase it ?
Old 03-25-19, 08:55 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
Its toast, those are rough built but honestly of it were clean I would have tried to negotiate and bought. The USSR decal and star on forks make it collectible to me. Also like the single chainring and bars.
Front derailleurs are for the capitalist bourgeoisie!
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 03-25-19, 11:32 AM
Midnite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Ha, no. That bike (and all the others you've posted so far) are junk or very low end beaters.
he's suggesting YOU go to France (or another country full of GOOD bikes), and bring one home with you.
)) That's really funny, off course in Turkey we have high end bikes avaliable, but my aim is to find something interesting and if possible to educate myself with your valuable, do you think i am ruining the forum ?
Old 03-25-19, 11:47 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'm not quite sure what to say about that bike.

I don't see many USSR bicycles around here. So, that one would be truly unique.

As mentioned, it does have had some pretty severe trauma to the top tube/down tube, but looking at it, it appears to be a curved bend, rather than a sharp bend.

That likely means a couple of things.

#1 , it may well be a candidate to be straightened using one of the head tube straightening tools (Park HTS-1 or equivalent).

#2 , it is most likely straight wall tubing without butting.

The pressed rear dropout with a derailleur hanger is most unique.

Looking on E-Bay, I'm seeing a few shifters, but no full XB3 groupsets, at least not here in the USA. And, mostly track bikes.

Imagine if the only bikes in the USA were vintage Huffy and Murray bikes. And, mostly single-speed cruisers.

Actually, I think that bike may well be a step above the Huffy/Murray bikes. Perhaps even one step above the Schwinn Varsity bikes (although only a 5-speed).

That seat looks pretty cool. Leather?

If you are interested in Russian bikes and the X3B, then the groupset minus frame may well be worth around $100. And as mentioned, the frame might be able to be restored using the Park HTS-1... at least worth the experiment.

Frame tube replacement would be a hassle, and would require a lot of work and repainting.

Anyway, if that bike was local in the USA, I'd probably jump on it for $100... don't know about $140

And, much less likely to be interested in $140 + $100 shipping.
Old 03-25-19, 02:00 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'd say that the Russian mimicry of the MAFAC center pull caliper is spot-on, and kinda cool...
Old 03-25-19, 06:00 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Midnite

You certainly aren't causing grief on the forums. We get that in Turkey there are high end bikes. But I expect that in Turkey, just like in Canada and the USA not every town has a great selection of used bikes. We see what you posted, a weird Russian bike that is damaged and a Korean frame with at least some Russian parts and the suggestions were if that is what is for sale locally - run away and buy something by mail ( or go to a larger urban area) for better choices. If you want something different and that Russian bike is really different, by all means buy if you can afford it. As pointed out it's missing it's FD (unless it's a five speed - can't see the non drive side so unsure what it is) so can you source parts if it needs them? I buy weird stuff also, life is short so enjoy the challenge.
Old 03-25-19, 07:28 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by WGB
As pointed out it's missing it's FD (unless it's a five speed - can't see the non drive side so unsure what it is) so can you source parts if it needs them? I buy weird stuff also, life is short so enjoy the challenge.
The chain guard seems to bolt onto the spider with 6 bolts. But otherwise, I don't see any sign of a second ring in any of the photos.

Nor is there any obvious paint damage from a missing derailleur.

So, It may well be native 5-speed.

That is a pretty corncob-ish freewheel for a 5-speed.

The bike doesn't look like it takes a lot of specialized tools, but there is no guarantee that things like a freewheel tool would be universally available. Nor any guarantee that the freewheel would be compatible with others on the market.

It could mean a unique maintenance experience if parts didn't quite meet western standards. Although, as mentioned, it does appear as if at least some technology was utilized that is similar to French bikes.
Old 03-25-19, 09:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by Midnite
)) That's really funny, off course in Turkey we have high end bikes avaliable, but my aim is to find something interesting and if possible to educate myself with your valuable, do you think i am ruining the forum ?
So far, the bikes you have posted would end up in my local bike shop's pile headed to metal recyclers. My question was more aimed at the vintage bike market where you are, which seems to be quite poor. In particular, the fake Colnago indicates to me that interesting vintage bikes of higher quality are not available. Although there has been a bit of that sort of fakery here in the U.S. There are a lot of nice vintage bikes near me, but in general people aren't selling them. That may be the case in your area as well.

There were some really nice high-end Russian bikes with copies of high-end parts. Don't know if any of those made it to Turkey, I would think about buying something like that.
Old 03-25-19, 09:21 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
The Russian bike would be a delightful novelty in the US and would therefore be worth $100 or so were it not for the damage. But given it's condition, it's worthless.
Old 03-25-19, 10:54 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by unterhausen
My question was more aimed at the vintage bike market where you are, which seems to be quite poor. In particular, the fake Colnago indicates to me that interesting vintage bikes of higher quality are not available. Although there has been a bit of that sort of fakery here in the U.S. There are a lot of nice vintage bikes near me, but in general people aren't selling them. That may be the case in your area as well.
I wouldn't wish to try to predict what is or isn't available without actually seeing all the bikes and the ads.

When I was in Italy in the 1980's, a lot of bikes weren't really on the market, but buyers could get in touch with sellers by word of mouth. One just had to know the right people.

The internet has changed a lot, but I wonder if there is still some of that insider trading between friends. Even here in the USA. Or, people that might sell a bike, but aren't really trying.

It may also depend on the market one is searching.

For example, the Colnago Arabesque could well be a $5000 bike. Or, at least it would be if it was a real Colnago.

Even a 40 year old Colnago Super is rarely found for < $500 for a complete bike.

So, if one is searching for a vintage classic between $100 and $200, it can be a long search before that gem pops up, and still probably will be pretty tarnished, and it never was quite the top of the line, or has had all the good parts downgraded.

The important thing is to start learning what is a "gem", and what is "trash".

There are a number of telltale signs such as:
  • Components. Colnago Nuovo Record, Super Record, etc.
  • Steel vs Aluminum components
  • Quick Releases
  • Auxilliary brake levers, whatever you wish to call them often found on low-end bikes.
  • Stamped steel dropouts on low-end bikes. Forged droputs on high-end bikes.
  • cotter cranks vs cotterless cranks.
  • One Piece cranks on low-end bikes, at least in the USA.
  • Nice lugwork is often desireable. But, there are some good tig welded and filet brazed frames.
  • Reynolds 531 tubing, Columbus SL, SLX, etc, Vitus double butted, etc. Add various Tange tubes for Asian built.
  • Steel rims vs Aluminum rims.
  • Brand
  • Tubular tires on old racing bikes.
  • Downtube shifters tend to be on better bikes than stem shifters.
  • Brazeons can both indicate quality, as well as the age. Also indicative of modifications over time.
Oh, and CONDITION.

Like the frame above. A pretty unique frame. It may or may not be able to be repaired cost effectively. But... A bike with a badly damaged frame will take a huge hit on value. Sometimes down to just the value of the components.

Painting a frame can be both fulfilling, as well as toublesome and one loses the "originality" of it. Still, nothing beats pretty paint (with good graphics).

Now, being in Europe, you may have access to some bikes that never quite show up in the USA.

And, any rule that one makes will be broken one time or another. In particular, there may be huge differences when comparing say 1950's bikes to 1980's bikes.

Also, there may be a bike that is completely of different character that has some redeeming quality. For example, the vintage Tank Bike Cruisers can have a unique appeal.

And, of course, there are those bikes that were tossed aside 30 years ago for one reason or another, but are gems today.
Old 03-26-19, 04:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by CliffordK
The internet has changed a lot, but I wonder if there is still some of that insider trading between friends. Even here in the USA. Or, people that might sell a bike, but aren't really trying.
people know the owner of my LBS will buy their old Grove Innovations bikes. He has an ever-growing collection hanging from the walls and ceilings of the shop. Those bikes were never on the market. So it's possible that the OP just needs to meet the right people.
Old 03-26-19, 04:41 AM
Midnite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Annnddd more picturessss Looks like it got hit a by rhino

Old 03-26-19, 04:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

looks like it was made for a front rack, too bad that's gone. If it was in pristine condition it would be a lot more interesting
Old 03-26-19, 03:20 PM
CliffordK

You certainly have pretty long reach brakes and a lot of tire clearance despite the bend.

You can easily fit in larger tires and/or fenders if desired.

Talk to your local shops (those that deal with old bikes), and see if any have the Park HTS-1, and would be willing to have a go for it on the frame.

You can't make it worse... I don't think.
Old 03-27-19, 01:12 AM
Midnite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Ha, no. That bike (and all the others you've posted so far) are junk or very low end beaters.
he's suggesting YOU go to France (or another country full of GOOD bikes), and bring one home with you.
I really wish I could do that
Old 03-27-19, 01:16 AM
Midnite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WGB
Midnite

You certainly aren't causing grief on the forums. We get that in Turkey there are high end bikes. But I expect that in Turkey, just like in Canada and the USA not every town has a great selection of used bikes. We see what you posted, a weird Russian bike that is damaged and a Korean frame with at least some Russian parts and the suggestions were if that is what is for sale locally - run away and buy something by mail ( or go to a larger urban area) for better choices. If you want something different and that Russian bike is really different, by all means buy if you can afford it. As pointed out it's missing it's FD (unless it's a five speed - can't see the non drive side so unsure what it is) so can you source parts if it needs them? I buy weird stuff also, life is short so enjoy the challenge.
Dear WGB, it is true that in Turkey we have high end nice bikes avaliable in the market, but please consider Turkey was never a great bike market 30 years ago or 20 years so the choices are very very limited and sellers of these bikes are asking unbelievable prices for them.

On the other hand, I am a collector of antique toys but got infected with the old bike market but as my knowledge is very very limited I try to educated myself with low end bikes which we call junk off course.

But thank you very much for your contribution and remarks.
Old 03-27-19, 01:18 AM
Midnite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You certainly have pretty long reach brakes and a lot of tire clearance despite the bend.

You can easily fit in larger tires and/or fenders if desired.

Talk to your local shops (those that deal with old bikes), and see if any have the Park HTS-1, and would be willing to have a go for it on the frame.

You can't make it worse... I don't think.
CliffordK the information you passed to me is unbelievable - thank you !!! Great Stuff, I am much appreicated.
Old 03-27-19, 05:15 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts
I like it ! The head badge, color, and especially all the Russian branding make it really unique, at least here in the US. A shame it has frame damage but I'd buy it as is for maybe ½ of listed price.
Old 03-27-19, 07:19 AM
Midnite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I like it ! The head badge, color, and especially all the Russian branding make it really unique, at least here in the US. A shame it has frame damage but I'd buy it as is for maybe ½ of listed price.
Maybe I can purchase it and ship it to you ? Seriously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.