Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tektro 539/559, on the edge of both

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 02:59 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts

On a 1982 Trek 412, I recently switched from the stock 27” rims to 700c. I was still able to run some Weinmann 610 center pulls. They have the pads near the bottom with the rear slightly less so. My main gripe was having the center pulls not opening wide enough to take out the 35mm tires I have on it. This even with a QR on the hanger and another on the lever.

I got some Tektro 559s and just put them on. They seemed very nice, but the pads were at nearly the tops of the slots. Plenty of tire removal clearance now with the Tektro QR plus the one on the lever. I was then thinking perhaps the 539s at the bottom of the pad slot would look better. It kinda looks like either would work.

So the question is wether it’s better to have the pads at the top of the slot on the 559s, or the bottom of the slots on the 539s? That also brings up the question of if the 539s will open as wide as the 559s? This condition is exacerbated because my Weinmann concave rims are the narrower 20mm OD version and not the wider ones.
Old 01-17-24, 03:22 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I have used both models, but on different bikes. Both sets work well, but if I knew the mid reach 539’s would fit the rims, I would choose those over the 559. Pretty sure the shorter arms will provide better feel and stopping power.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-17-24, 03:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
On a 1982 Trek 412, I recently switched from the stock 27” rims to 700c. I was still able to run some Weinmann 610 center pulls. They have the pads near the bottom with the rear slightly less so. My main gripe was having the center pulls not opening wide enough to take out the 35mm tires I have on it. This even with a QR on the hanger and another on the lever.
Tangential, but I manage this on centerpulls by popping the yoke off the straddle cable after opening the QR. Plenty of clearance that way!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-17-24, 04:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
To answer your question best I can- I suspect the caliper that has the longer arms to the cable anchor and casing stop will have the greater "power". This assumes that the other lever arms in play (and that's all non cammed systems are WRT the base mechanics), the two both have the pads positioned in the slots to contact the rim and the location of the arm pivots relative to all this would be the same. For a single pivot caliper there's only one pivot and it's distance from the rim brake track center is the same for both sides/pads/arms. Thus with a single pivot caliper the one with the longer cable acting arms are the greater the leverage. But with two different dual pivot calipers the dimensional assumptions can cause real life being different as all the real lever lengths are measured and compared. I'll also say that rider perception is not always in agreement with the measured numbers.

As far as pads not opening enough for wide tires goes- On my 32 and narrower tired road bikes I run Shimano R600 calipers with their QR and Ergo levers with that QR too. On my touring rig, the tandem and the Mongoose Tomac MtB I have cantis, thank you. In all seriousness consider wider rims the next time around as the QR range starts only after the brake is adjuster properly and the wide tire and narrow rim combo will exceed this most every time (or for the calipers designed when 23/25 wide tires were the cat's meow, note I don't say when sold...). Of course the annoying solution is to deflate the tires and/or use your hand as a hammer and hope the pads stay put. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 01-17-24 at 04:05 PM. Reason: first was clairity, second due to censor
Old 01-17-24, 04:21 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Thanks on the replies. On taking the cables out of the straddle yoke, I have found that to generally be a major pain, but I do understand.
Yes, wider rims would be a nicer solution too, but I already have the nice looking concaves. The 559s do seem that they will be fine and no new parts would be needed. I guess I was trying to think what would be perfect while cooped up in the winter deep freeze. Those Tektros do seem nicely made and very user friendly to set up. I can understand why they are often recommended. If I ever see a set of 539s at a swap though I will jump on them. Can’t have too many spare parts.
Old 01-17-24, 07:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
To answer your question best I can- I suspect the caliper that has the longer arms to the cable anchor and casing stop will have the greater "power". This assumes that the other lever arms in play (and that's all non cammed systems are WRT the base mechanics), the two both have the pads positioned in the slots to contact the rim and the location of the arm pivots relative to all this would be the same. For a single pivot caliper there's only one pivot and it's distance from the rim brake track center is the same for both sides/pads/arms. Thus with a single pivot caliper the one with the longer cable acting arms are the greater the leverage. But with two different dual pivot calipers the dimensional assumptions can cause real life being different as all the real lever lengths are measured and compared. I'll also say that rider perception is not always in agreement with the measured numbers.

As far as pads not opening enough for wide tires goes- On my 32 and narrower tired road bikes I run Shimano R600 calipers with their QR and Ergo levers with that QR too. On my touring rig, the tandem and the Mongoose Tomac MtB I have cantis, thank you. In all seriousness consider wider rims the next time around as the QR range starts only after the brake is adjuster properly and the wide tire and narrow rim combo will exceed this most every time (or for the calipers designed when 23/25 wide tires were the cat's meow, note I don't say when sold...). Of course the annoying solution is to deflate the tires and/or use your hand as a hammer and hope the pads stay put. Andy
Another trick - brake levers with QRs in addition to the caliper QRs. I'm guessing not an option with brifters though it ought to be. I think there are also in-line barrel adjusts with QRs. Don't know that but if not, a nice little project for an inventive type.
Old 01-17-24, 07:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by sd5782
Thanks on the replies. On taking the cables out of the straddle yoke, I have found that to generally be a major pain, but I do understand.
Yes, wider rims would be a nicer solution too, but I already have the nice looking concaves. The 559s do seem that they will be fine and no new parts would be needed. I guess I was trying to think what would be perfect while cooped up in the winter deep freeze. Those Tektros do seem nicely made and very user friendly to set up. I can understand why they are often recommended. If I ever see a set of 539s at a swap though I will jump on them. Can’t have too many spare parts.
Different calipers are quite different in how hard that is. I find Weinmanns hard with cold hands and much prefer to do it with tools like a screwdriver but the Mafac Racers very easy. Especially so if you can find the straddle cables with the little tab below the free end.
Old 01-17-24, 07:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Another trick - brake levers with QRs in addition to the caliper QRs. I'm guessing not an option with brifters though it ought to be. I think there are also in-line barrel adjusts with QRs. Don't know that but if not, a nice little project for an inventive type.
The Campy (and Sachs, I have a few) Ergo brake levers do have a QR function. Like Tektros and Cane Creeks (that are not brifters too) there's a sliding post just ahead of the pivot at the top of the brake blade. Andy
Old 01-17-24, 09:34 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The Campy (and Sachs, I have a few) Ergo brake levers do have a QR function. Like Tektros and Cane Creeks (that are not brifters too) there's a sliding post just ahead of the pivot at the top of the brake blade. Andy
Thanks! I knew there was good reason to go Campy standard when I went 130 spacing and 9-speed on my custom. And a ti-welded "braze-on" for the top-mounted DT friction shifters. Dave Levy also put cable stops on the HT in case I changed my mind. (The real driving forces were never, ever putting those goofy horizontal brifter cables out in space a la early Shimano. That and the knowledge that the day would come that I would accidentally shift as I went for a WB or jersey pocket as I have been steadying the bike with my fingers on the side of the brake lever forever as I go one-handed.)
Old 01-18-24, 08:18 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
My 539s are going on a 27 > 700c conversion and they open up to 32mm. Pads are not quite bottomed out on my setup.
Old 01-18-24, 11:57 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5728
the question is whether it’s better to have the pads at the top of the slot on the 559s, or the bottom of the slots on the 539s?
Pads at the top of a modern long-reach brake in a nice vintage frame make for a really ugly, thoughtless looking solution. Use the 539.
Old 01-18-24, 12:12 PM
sd5782 

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
My 539s are going on a 27 > 700c conversion and they open up to 32mm. Pads are not quite bottomed out on my setup.
It sounds like your situation was very similar to mine with regard to brake reach. That.s what I was thinking on how far they open. I do however have another QR on the lever, so perhaps the 539s would open far enough despite the narrow 20.5mm rims with the 35 Paselas. The 559s with both QRs open up nice and wide.
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Pads at the top of a modern long-reach brake in a nice vintage frame make for a really ugly, thoughtless looking solution. Use the 539.
I do agree wholeheartedly on this, and will be on the lookout for some 539s too. I at least have to try out the feel of this setup first. You purists will be offended by the turkey levers anyhow, but my age and flexibility dictates riding on the tops mostly. You will get there some day too if you are lucky.
Old 01-26-24, 06:05 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
If we assume that the slotted portion of the caliper arm is the most flexible part, (because it's got a big hole in the middle of it,) then it follows that minimizing the amount of hole between the pad and the top of the hole would minimize bending between those two points.

I can't see how anything below the pad attachment point could possibly matter... unstressed aluminum, just along for the ride.

In reality?

Which ever one looks better is the right answer, because there's unlikely to be any functional difference that matters.

--Shannon