Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gradient blindness

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gradient blindness

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 10:48 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Reminds me of those spots where the locals will put eggs on the road and they will roll "uphill" due to the optical illusion. (Or mysterious electrical/magnetic effects, take your pick. )
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-23-24, 12:12 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Here's one of those roads where you can't tell the grade by looking at it. Highway 168 out of Bishop. It's a tilted plane, about 6%.

Last edited by terrymorse; 02-23-24 at 12:15 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-23-24, 12:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Stuart is spot on, there is a section of highway in Wyoming where every year my wife and I on our snowbirding trip swear it looks as though the river next to the highway is flowing uphill.
+1 First Cycle Oregon, day 1 we rode up the Wallawa river for 20 or 30 miles. Much of the 2000' difference between Elgin where we started and Enterprise, our camp that night. Weird. The riding was easy and my eyes kept telling me the water was running with us.
Old 02-23-24, 01:59 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Here's one of those roads where you can't tell the grade by looking at it. Highway 168 out of Bishop. It's a tilted plane, about 6%.

Uphill, or is the camera tilted weirdly?
Old 02-23-24, 03:18 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Foreshortening

Stand at the base of something tall that doesn’t have clear lines to judge its height. Devil’s Tower and El Capitan are especially good examples of this.

They don’t look very tall.

The brain doesn’t seem to be able to decode it all, especially from close up.

I don’t think I can relate. When I’m riding up a mountain, it doesn’t look like it’ll ever end to me.
Old 02-23-24, 09:54 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I’ve had that happen before; a gradual increase from flat to a slight grade; particularly if you’re in the woods or otherwise don’t have clear sightlines for reference.

Riding along trying to figure out why you’re struggling to hold your pace, until a gap in the trees shows that you’re now a couple hundred feet higher than the river that you’d been running along with for the last few miles
Old 02-24-24, 07:42 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
A modern bike computer that can display % grade will tell the truth. They display what you've just ridden over, so abrupt changes aren't displayed quickly. Pedaling effort doesn't lie either. If it gets tougher to pedal, you're going uphill or against a wind. Easier climbing with a tail wind can be difficult to detect.
Old 02-24-24, 08:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
A modern bike computer that can display % grade will tell the truth. They display what you've just ridden over, so abrupt changes aren't displayed quickly. Pedaling effort doesn't lie either. If it gets tougher to pedal, you're going uphill or against a wind. Easier climbing with a tail wind can be difficult to detect.
I find my power meter useful too. If I’m riding at my expected power then I know that any unexpected loss of speed must be due to slope or wind etc. I find it reassuring to reference my power whenever my speed is lower than I subjectively feel it should be. False flats are a good example of that feeling. If my power is on target then I don’t worry about my speed.
Old 02-24-24, 08:16 AM
Anicius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
There are some local bike path stretches where I experience this. Sometimes it helps to look at trees, power poles or anything else that's supposed to be vertical. Trees are tricky, though, because a prevailing wind can put them all at a similar lean. Such things are there to amuse you while you ride.
Old 02-24-24, 08:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
...I've pedaled up Pikes Peak three times...
I've hiked up twice...I couldn't imagine biking up, especially above 11,000 feet where the air gets really thin. Biking up is a major accomplishment! Well done!
Old 02-24-24, 11:47 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I've hiked up twice...I couldn't imagine biking up, especially above 11,000 feet where the air gets really thin. Biking up is a major accomplishment! Well done!
That was after they paved the road all the way to the top from the North. I've hiked up Barr Trail at least a dozen times, which is also no slouch. That's a tough climb. Good on you for making it!
It's also been interesting seeing the upward creep of vegetation. I have some photographs from the early 90s of some points of the trail that show mangled trees that couldn't survive above 11,000 feet, and then 20 years later, there were some sprouting, healthy aspens.
It's such a beautiful place. Both sides.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 02-24-24, 07:48 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

FYI, Rouvy has a route up Pike's Peak:

Hypoxia not included. I haven't done the fake ride...yet. It's pretty long for a trainer session. My posterior would not be happy after that ride.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-25-24, 05:38 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
FYI, Rouvy has a route up Pike's Peak:

Hypoxia not included. I haven't done the fake ride...yet. It's pretty long for a trainer session. My posterior would not be happy after that ride.
Three of the hardest rides I've ever done. About 3 hours to climb up, about 40 minutes to ride back down to Manitou Springs. Even though I rode up in July and August, it still snowed all three times. When you get over 12,000 feet, your lips and fingernails turn blue from lack of oxygen, and you still have 2000 feet to climb. It's an experience.

Edit: Aspirin helps with the altitude-sickness, but I had better results with lots of Alka-Seltzer. It really helps.

Last edited by calamarichris; 02-25-24 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-25-24, 10:58 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Three of the hardest rides I've ever done. About 3 hours to climb up, about 40 minutes to ride back down to Manitou Springs. Even though I rode up in July and August, it still snowed all three times. When you get over 12,000 feet, your lips and fingernails turn blue from lack of oxygen, and you still have 2000 feet to climb. It's an experience.

Edit: Aspirin helps with the altitude-sickness, but I had better results with lots of Alka-Seltzer. It really helps.
I wouldn't even think about trying Pike's Peak without being acclimated to altitude.

The year I did Mt. Evans, I spent a week at Snowbird, Utah, a week at Aspen, and a final week at Breckenridge. No altitude sickness.

An in case anyone wants to attempt the Pike's Peak KOM, it currently is 1:36:31, 11.5 mph, average power 335 W, average climbing rate 3936 ft/h. Easy picking.

Old 02-25-24, 11:26 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Have not experienced gradient blindness but have experienced the sensation that either my tire/s are low on air or my brakes are dragging. When I stop the bike and check, everything is fine and then it dawns on me, it’s me that’s dragging. The weird thing is that it is usually a temporary sensation, or else my brain kicks in and says, “Hey stupid, it’s you” and it goes away. Strange.

Old 02-25-24, 01:04 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
The central Phoenix metro area north of the Salt River slopes from the northeast (uphill) to the southwest typically at a steady 0.5% gradient. When I was younger, I wondered why I was getting so tired riding north or east, but was so "strong" heading south or west, because in nearly all cases the gradient is effectively invisible. Once I had many riding miles on the odometer, I knew it wasn't me or the wind, but that the land that I knew was slightly off kilter. Felt it this morning on the fixie leading the group ride - "wheee" to the restaurant, a bit of grinding coming back.
Old 02-25-24, 01:11 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Once I did an AdventureCorps Century in Death Valley. The wind came up and I was in my smallest gear, chewing on my handlebars pedaling DOWNHILL (like 6% grade downhill.) It was so gnarly, I think only 5-7 guys out of several hundred finished. At one point I got blown off the road. It took me several tries to get back on my steel bike, because every time I lifted my leg, the wind would blow my bike sideways, even though I was holding it down by the handlebars. I was eventually able to get going again by pointing the bike into the wind (obtuse to the road).
You just described the 1982 Arizona Challenge 24-hour, 325-mile, 17,000+ ft ride. On a "typical" year, riders could sell out a little more pounding up the Mogollon Rim because they'd be able to coast and recover on the descent into the Verde Valley. In '82, though, there was a 20-30 mph west wind, and riders had to work on the descent just to stay up, and used up a lot of energy before even getting to the base of Mingus Mountain. That was no fun - 2 out of the 3 riders I was with packed it in before Cottonwood. Lon Haldeman is reported to have said at the time it was the hardest single-day ride he'd ever attempted to that point. But Tom Baker still came in first, albeit perhaps less-fast than other years.
Old 02-25-24, 01:29 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Gradient blindness???

The gradient is LYING!!

Why else would they call 'em FALSE flats?