Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cadence and/or HR Monitor?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 04:37 PM
kcirick

Bikes: Orbea Aqua 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my cycling computer. Right now I have Cateye Strada which I am happy with, but it has neither cadence nor hr monitor. I want to start actually training and have a work out regime.

The question is, is it necessary to have cadence AND HR, or just Cadence, or just HR? I read some training books that say "keep at x RPM for y min" and some say "keep at HR of x BMP for y min". Which is better to have?

I was looking at Polar CS200, Cateye V3, and Garmin Edge 200. So far Polar seems to be a bad buy. Anything wrong with the other two?
Old 07-18-10, 04:46 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
If I had to choose one I'd go with HR.

my race videos
Old 07-18-10, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
technically your computer doesnt need HR - you can get a separate HR monitor for that and just wear the watch on your hand. might be cheaper. you definitely want cadence, though, as you get more serious in your training.
Old 07-18-10, 04:55 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both.
Old 07-18-10, 05:00 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
my legs are my cadence meter.

actually i like having both. it gives a fuller picture of how much effort you are exerting.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 07-18-10, 05:03 PM
Danielle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I disagree. The cadence is a great thing to have. I have the Cateye V3 and love it. It has cadence and heart rate. Wonderful computer that will not break the bank........Many times your cadence is much lower than you perceive.
Old 07-18-10, 05:10 PM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Off the bike trainer, cadence sucks. Who the heck cares if you're pedaling 50 rpm or 120, so long as you're hauling it? Anyone who tells you it's somehow magically easier to pedal up a 5% hill at cadence 100 vs cadence 70 full of it - keep your speed the same, and you'll find out that cadence doesn't give you anything for free - it'll hurt equally bad at either cadence.

The main reason to have a cadence-worthy speedo in my opinion, is if you have a bike trainer and rear-wheel mount the cadence sensor so you can get mph estimates on the bike trainer. That is analogous to a poor man's Powermeter, and is excellent for training, with speed subbing for power.

The HRM is useful. On intervals and/or long sustained climbs, you can get a good sense of how hard you're working at any point with that number.
Old 07-18-10, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
Off the bike trainer, cadence sucks. Who the heck cares if you're pedaling 50 rpm or 120, so long as you're hauling it? Anyone who tells you it's somehow magically easier to pedal up a 5% hill at cadence 100 vs cadence 70 full of it - keep your speed the same, and you'll find out that cadence doesn't give you anything for free - it'll hurt equally bad at either cadence.
wow, that's pretty bad advice. you can injure your knees easily by "hauling it" up hills at low cadences. and it IS easier to move faster on flats and hills when your cadence is higher due to more efficient performance of work. have you even seen the pro peloton? cadences are high and smooth.
Old 07-18-10, 05:49 PM
lovestoride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would say get a computer with both cadence and heart rate. you'd bbe surprised how useful cadence can actually be, and of course heart rate is really useful.
Old 07-18-10, 05:56 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You can get a Garmin watch type for cheep. and it does all of that and more. I have the forerunner 305 and love it. You can download your rides and check out your ride data. You can add your own input to the ride, and share it with others too. just a thought. good luck.