Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

21 Days, 910 Miles.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 06:27 PM
Mycoalson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
21 Days, 910 Miles.

I read the thousand mile thread on this forum and was inspired to try it. I didn't make it the first attempt due to an unfortunate interruption.

I decided to try something unusual: 2 days on, 1 off. I would ride 50 miles on the on days. When I looked at a calender, this meant that week 1,2 & 4 would have five work out days. Week three would have four. In 28 days I'd have 950 miles. On the 29th day, I'd get my 1000 miles.

I figured if I just went a mile or two further each day, and counted my off day riding, I'd be close at day 28(4 weeks)

As was, and this is not exact, I don't have my journal, I had around 314 the first week, 304 the second, and this past week I had a bit over 280. I know that today, my cumulative was 910, so those numbers are just a bit conservative.

I have to be honest, I'm fearful that something catastrophic will come up and I'll not even get the thousand.

But, there is a part of me that wants to really hit the hammer and go for 1200.

I'm also tempted to just slack off and get at least the thousand, or a bit more.

As is, I'm scheduled for work out days tomorrow and Tuesday, and I have appointments I really need to keep that could make it difficult to go on extended rides. I love cycling, but it can't stop other aspects of my life.

All I can say, is at the beginning of last week, I was trying to calculate how many miles I needed to get in those 4 work out days and I kept thinking, "that'd leave me with 300 miles in a week, I can't do that....oh, s***, I guess I can, I just did it, two weeks in a row."

I surprised myself, I don't think I'm some kind of great athlete, but this has been a really cool three weeks and I'm hoping to make it a cool month.

All that despite 4 flats in two weeks, and a broken front derailleur cable...

I just had to share...thanx for reading!
Old 10-06-13, 07:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
congratulations, sounds like you are well on your way to making your goal.
Old 11-05-13, 08:26 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice work! If it were me I'd leave the 1200 week as another challenge for another time. Also, usually I'm not as concerned if I don't make the exact mark since I don't get paid to ride (not my job and don't want to make it my job) and yes "life happens."