Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dodged a bullet, sort of...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dodged a bullet, sort of...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 03:07 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Thanks for all the advice and kind wishes. It's funny someone mentioned a possible return...I was already considering that, especially after my bellow. Still - I think it was the right thing to yell. We'll be harder pickings next time! We met several dogs, mostly pits, and are still researching. Ideally I want something like a Shepard or Rottweiler mix - maybe with a lab or retriever.

I'm hoping against hope they left prints on the lighter they left behind. The Philly police did their usual job - I had to push to get them to take prints off of the AC and they were generally disinterested in being bothered with police work.
Old 06-07-12, 03:39 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I wonder if a Bull Mastiff would eat Philly Cop?
Old 06-07-12, 03:49 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
We're going by the SPCA today to get a puppy. By puppy I mean dog that would make Michael Vick switch to cock fights. The trick will be finding one who won't mind the cats, will be warm and cuddly with us, but who would appear in the alien vs predator sequel with an intruder. I thought about a gun, but it wouldn't have helped; we'd just have a thief with a stolen gun. I honestly trust a dog over my aim. I'm not anti gun, or judging, I just think a dog is the way to go.
The noise a dog makes is likely more important than the fierceness.

And how fierce a dog is can depend on several factors. This dog would gnaw the leg off anyone who dared mess with my GF:

He had been abused for several years, and then dumped in a local park. It took awhile, but he is now quite attatched to us.

This dog looks fierce and has a nice big bark:

At nearly eighty pounds, he probably is scarier to a burglar than he actually is. Once someone is in the house, though, I'd want the beagle. I'm not kidding. There would be blood.

I've found shepherd mixes inspire more fear, even more than pits. It's because they are smart and loyal. And the police use them.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Last edited by Poguemahone; 06-07-12 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 03:57 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
As someone who has rescued more than a few dogs, I just want to point out the obvious....

Please consider the acquisition of a dog very carefully, and walk into it with your eyes open. They require a high level of care and commitment, and need human interaction. A lot of folks go into it without considering all of the ramifications, and the dog they initially thought was a great idea gets left alone, gets into mischief, and gets thrown out. Very few of those that are given up find homes.... most are destroyed.

Not trying to lecture you or insult you, just advocating for the dogs of the world. I like dogs more than I like most people.

Oh, yeah.... one more thing. When I was a consultant, not backing up client deliverables was a hanging offense.
plus a lot. My GF and I have four strays. One was found wandering starved in an alley. One was left in the trash, in a box with two inches of her own waste at the bottom (seriously). One is the abused and dumped beagle above. The last is the big black dog. He was in at least five different places his first year and considered unmanageable (nothing could be further from the truth).

When you get a dog, you have to make a deal with them not to give up on them and dump them.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 06-07-12, 03:58 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad both of you are okay. That is a very very scary situation and you seem to have handled it well.

Another vote for the shepherds! I live with a spectacular border collie that was rescued a year and a half ago at 1yr of age. He has bonded well with everyone in our household, including the cat, and is very defensive of his home and yard. He does take cues as to when to relax but does bark and growl quite menacingly, which I am grateful for living in NYC. He is a very good judge of character, also, and knows who to trust on his walks. If people are drunk or obviously intoxicated, walking erratically, etc, he gets protective, but not aggressive. Also, super cuddly

Maybe you'll gain a great friend from this event.
Old 06-07-12, 04:10 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'm thinking the dog could be a silver lining. I promise...we are not the type to rush things. We've had a dog. We've been talking dog for months, this just iced it. We have 3 rescue cats, all picked off of the street.
Old 06-07-12, 04:46 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Whoa Aaron, that is scary stuff. That is really awful about your computer and other things but I am glad no one was harmed. I can't imagine actually seeing the people inside your home.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-07-12, 06:55 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
An other option would be a Mokave or other large cat, I think they mature around 30lbs. that would make someone think twice

Plus I'm thinkin' low maintinace, litter box and at feeding time just let it out the back door....Im sure it could hunt up something for dinner

Ok cat people, small mamal and children lovers, the feeding comment was in jest....still a cool beast to have around the house don't ya think?
Old 06-07-12, 07:02 PM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sucks and it's scary. A dog is the best option, but ours died a few years ago and we're not in a position to take care of a dog now. So I keep a S&W in the bedstand. No I'm not a gun nut.
Old 06-07-12, 07:22 PM
rootboy 

RE: above,
I should probably clarify my previous response. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a gun for self protection. Depending on where you live, of course. I own one because my wife and I used to enjoy the shooting sports, and I keep it around as an absolute last resort in case of impending grave threat of injury or death to a family member. I would never consider shooting someone over a bicycle or a stereo. I'm not sure about my wife, though. And she's an excellent shot. A dog is a much better deterrent to anyone coming in the house in the first place. Good luck Aaron and may it be the last time.
Old 06-07-12, 07:24 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by Velognome

Good grief. That is SOME cat. I like.
Old 06-07-12, 07:30 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Advice:
Have a gun (you don't have to feed or clean up after it).
Don't hestitate to use it.
Old 06-07-12, 07:37 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by doohickie
you need one of these:

FIFY

On a serious note: I'm glad you are both okay and it was nothing worse than losing some things. They can always be replaced - even the hard work - but you'd probably be hard pressed to find another Lori and she'll say the same about you, too.

I hope this is your quota filled for the year, dude!

DD
Old 06-07-12, 07:47 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow Aaron, I'm sorry you had to deal with that! I hope it fades away quickly.
Old 06-07-12, 07:52 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hurt. Been there, chased them out into the woods, got 2 but not the 3rd.
Then I had to deal with all the yelling and screaming when the police got there; their "people" wanted me arrested for assualt.

The judge sentenced them to repay me the $2800; never saw a penny.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 06-07-12 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 08:02 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
Sorry to hear about this, Aaron. You seem to be taking it well, with a sense of humor and a sense of how fortunate you are that only some material posessions were lost. I think that that says a lot about what kind of person you are.
not much more to add to this, really . Just so sad to see all these things happen to you in such a short while. all the best wishes.
Old 06-07-12, 08:07 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Jasus Keerist... Move down here to Delaware and commute. No sales tax...
Old 06-07-12, 08:52 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Just got home and read this sad news.

Feel bad for you guys.

Nice folks like you don't deserve this in your own home.
Old 06-07-12, 09:26 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS
Look in to a Boxer, they're scary as hell looking but fantastic family dogs.
Not always... The next door neighbor's boxer took three bites out of my wife about 6 weeks ago. Animal Control took possession of the dog and observed it for a period of time and then euthanized it because of its temperament.

Not all of them are so soft and cuddly. My wife, who has never been afraid of dogs in her life, is now afraid of dogs.
Old 06-07-12, 09:29 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Aaron, glad things worked out as OK as they did. Some years just get jacked up for no apparent reason. Your 2012 sounds like how my 2010 ended and my 2011 started out: BAD! If all goes well, all will get better soon!
Old 06-07-12, 11:40 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Not always... The next door neighbor's boxer took three bites out of my wife about 6 weeks ago. Animal Control took possession of the dog and observed it for a period of time and then euthanized it because of its temperament.

Not all of them are so soft and cuddly. My wife, who has never been afraid of dogs in her life, is now afraid of dogs.
I concur. I have a pit bull mix and she's even friendlier than my Aussie. She'd kill an intruder with licks and tail wags.. Temperament and training has more to do with it than any in born "bloodlust."
Old 06-08-12, 03:29 AM
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aaron so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you guys are ok. Me, I'm a gun guy but if you're not comfortable around guns and unless you know for a fact that you could pull the trigger on someone don't get one. If you know the work and care involved with a dog and are good with what it initials then I say go for it. My vote is for a Doberman. My family has had several and they are awesome dogs. My sister had one that was professionally trained for guard duties but was the sweetest dog. My niece was little and would crawl all over her. I also had a Dobbie and she was a great dog. If someone came over that she didn't know, she put always herself between them and me until she trusted them but would not be aggressive toward them. Every time I let her outside in the backyard she would make one lap around fence to check everything out. I always said she was on patrol, lol. Dobermans are very protective of their families, the females even more so. I am a big fan of rescue dogs, I have one now but in this case you may want to look at buying one. Go to a legit breeder and spend some time with some dobermans I think it will be just what you're looking for. Stay safe my friend!

Mutt
Old 06-08-12, 06:47 AM
iluvnoise

Bikes: 2012 Singular Peregrine, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1994 Cannondale M400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This stinks, man. Sorry to hear about it and am glad the situation ended without any harm coming to you or your wife. Dog is probably the right move here and an alarm system wouldn't hurt either. I have a friend who lives on Iseminger in S.Philly and he has a nice and loud alarm system that I'm sure would be a deterrent in a situation like yours.
Old 06-08-12, 06:48 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
+1 to BBM's advise here. Think about getting any dog first and make sure you are committed to caring for and loving the dog for its life. That said, I agree with your "get a dog" idea. Our son's setter has a deep booming repeated bark that has scared off a few suspicious people walking up the driveway. She would actually hold the door for them if they came in, since she loves everyone but, the noise she can make causes them to think twice. Sorry you got robbed Aaron, hope you get all the cards and accounts changed quick enough. If they knew to take a hard drive they are most likely selling personal info to other scumbags.

I do have 3 shotguns for bird hunting and a pistol of my wives in the house, with plenty of ammunition. She can unlock the gun case quicker than I can when she hears something around the house. Glad I don't sleepwalk. I think a load of shot from a 12 ga magnum duck gun would make them get gone and drop things they were carrying. and as everyone knows Florida has the Stand Your Ground law, too. And, we have an alarm system with motion sensors to boot.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 06-08-12 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-08-12, 07:02 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Really sorry to hear about that, but glad you're all okay!

This is my home protection system:

George is a pound rescue as well. Loudest bark you've ever heard. Good thing, as we live in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood. It's the price you pay to have a house 200 yards from the beach. Having a dog is a big commitment (far less travel than the past), but very, very gratifying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02395.jpg (70.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by bibliobob; 06-08-12 at 07:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.