Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Been riding my 29er lately

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 02:15 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

So I ordered some road tread tires for my 29er (Raleigh "Talus" in XL size), and have been getting some rides in after work. I picked up the Maxxis "Grifter" tires (29 x 2.5 wire bead) and run them at 60psi (I weigh 369 pounds) and love the way they roll. I took out the mountain bike last night as there were winds over 15mph and even though it is 10 pounds heavier than my road bike it can be easier to find a gear that works for me.

I had been off the bike for more than six months and feel like I am starting from scratch, but so far other than a sore butt (getting it used to the saddle again) and a little knee pain in my right knee things are doing great, and I feel good about getting on the bike.

The advantage to the mountain bike is that I have platform pedals (with SPD clips on both sides) so I don't have to change shoes and clothes to ride; so I hop on for a few miles after work or on the weekend. Last night I went for 7.3 miles against head and cross winds after making a run to Costco and getting dinner in the oven (Sockeye Salmon).

I believe by pushing the extra weight of the mountain bike I will be a better rider on the road bike.
Likes For dagray:
Old 08-26-19, 03:05 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
I believe by pushing the extra weight of the mountain bike I will be a better rider on the road bike.
I use my fatty for the same purpose. It’s like riding into a continuous headwind. Great workout, especially if you’re short on time or hills.

Last edited by Dr.Lou; 09-09-19 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 01:52 PM
dagray

I put my road bike on the trainer back in January, but hadn't used it due to time constraints and laziness. So by riding the 29er I am getting saddle time; maybe not as much as I want or need, but way more than I have had since January. I figure taking the 29er out equals saddle time, and saddle time is going to make me a better rider.
Likes For dagray:
Old 09-06-19, 04:02 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
I often ride my fatty for the same reason.
Old 09-08-19, 06:44 PM
dagray

So far this week I have been on all three of my bikes. My 29er, my 35 year old steel road bike, and my 2013 carbon road bike.