Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic Aksium rear wheel squeal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 10:08 AM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I replaced the drivetrain on my 2000 Litespeed Arenburg; chain, cassette, chainrings. I also replaced the bottom bracket and Ultegra 6500 shifters, while a little beat they were total rattle traps and while they worked I couldn't source new hoods which had practically rubbed off. The Microshift R9's are working out OK.

On one of the first rides, I was coming down a steep hill and while braking there was a pretty loud squealing sound heard over the sound of the wind and brake pads on the rim. At first I thought it was a misaligned brake pad. In slowing, the sound went away. I checked the pads and they were aligned with the rims. Started off downhill again and around 25mph the squeal started again. I continued the ride, another 30 miles of up and down with the squeal again coming when going downhill around 25, whether pedaling or not, or braking or not.

After researching on the internet it seemed the likely culprit was the freewheel, so I disassembled, cleaned and lubed (although one video suggested lubricating with mineral oil, like shimano hydraulic fluid, which I didn't have so I used Pedro's synthetic lube - the LBS said that's what they would have used).

The next couple of rides were squeal free, then a week later it's back. I thought maybe it was the hub axle bearings but when I disassembled the hub I couldn't detect any resistance in the sealed bearing cartridges. So I re-lubed the freehub and reassembled. Yesterday's ride was squeal-free, I think, it was hard to hear over the sound of the flapping jacket.

Anyone have any other suggestions to look into? I've had the wheels for probably 8 years, time for new ones? Any suggestions for new wheels for this bike?

Thanks
Old 09-21-19, 03:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
You lubed the FW both times and the squeal went away both times?
I would say the answer is pretty obvious.
FW's are cheap.
However, you have a Free Hub.
Freewheel or Cassette?

That Bike apparently has either a Shimano 5500 or 6500.
Regular bearing balls, not cartridge.
Was there a wheel swap done?

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 09-21-19 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-21-19, 03:44 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Since they mentioned replacing their cassette, I suspect that the OP misspoke and had serviced his/her freeHUB.
Old 09-21-19, 05:36 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by dstke

Anyone have any other suggestions to look into? I've had the wheels for probably 8 years, time for new ones? Any suggestions for new wheels for this bike?

Thanks
I suggest replacing the wheel. It's a known problem with older Mavic freehubs. At our shop, we have had reported cases of the freehub not freewheeling at higher speeds when this squeal occurs, which is dangerous. I've heard from customers that there are youtube hacks/solutions, which it sounds like you have discovered, but I suggest simply getting a new wheel.
Old 09-21-19, 11:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
What lube was used on the freehub bodies inner bushing, the large diameter tan (when new and clean) ring pressed in the freehub body? Mavic specs mineral oil. I've done quite a few servicings and when I've used other lube the squealing can return. Andy
Old 09-21-19, 11:23 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Pedros sounds thin to me. Mavic's actual suggested mineral oil isn't like Shimano brake fluid, it's a bit thicker. They also expressly approve of Dumonde Freehub Oil, which is what I typically use. Try something a little thicker (but not actual grease), with low tack.
Old 09-22-19, 01:26 AM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I used ATF (it is a transmission?) the squeal has never return although i have applied the atf a couple of times when doing general maintenance perhaps once a year
Old 09-22-19, 10:57 AM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Freehub. Thanks for the link.

6500 but original wheels were replaced with Mavic wheels and freehub
Old 09-22-19, 10:59 AM
dstke

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hmm, Pedro's Synthetic lube seems pretty thick to me but I'll look into the Dumonde Freehub lube.