Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclists vs. Bikini Barista Owners in PDX

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclists vs. Bikini Barista Owners in PDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-19, 07:21 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
A motorcyclist has been charged with the murder of a cyclist on a group ride in Key Biscayne in August. A cyclist in a major U.S. city out on a pleasant ride with friends was shot and killed while on his bike. That's an international cycling safety story. Sadly, there are so many other examples of this kind of thing in America, that we could write a novel about it.
If this is the Florida one I'm thinking of, the facts aren't on your side. I'm pretty sure it came out that the cyclist and the motorcycle rider knew each other. And the driver used to, or was, part of the same cycling group at some point.

So, not a cycling safety advocacy situation. A gang, group, or pair of individuals in a spat where one made a permanent bad decision.
Old 12-12-19, 11:54 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
If this is the Florida one I'm thinking of, the facts aren't on your side. I'm pretty sure it came out that the cyclist and the motorcycle rider knew each other. And the driver used to, or was, part of the same cycling group at some point.
So, not a cycling safety advocacy situation. A gang, group, or pair of individuals in a spat where one made a permanent bad decision.
I here ya. I guess we'll maybe have to agree to disagree. To me, the fact that a former cycling group member murdered a current cycling group member while on a group ride in a major metropolitan area, to me, that does represent a bit of a cycling safety issue--because someone on a group ride was shot and killed (again) by a former group member--allegedly. Maybe I am just too literal and concrete a thinker, but for me, a cyclist getting shot while on any ride is sort of by definition a cycling safety issue. Because he died riding. No, it was not a carbon fiber rim exploding on a descent or a negligent truck versus cyclist crash, but to me, any time somebody on a bike is killed while on a ride, that's a cycling safety problem. People shouldn't die when they go for a bike ride.
Old 12-12-19, 03:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I here ya. I guess we'll maybe have to agree to disagree. To me, the fact that a former cycling group member murdered a current cycling group member while on a group ride in a major metropolitan area, to me, that does represent a bit of a cycling safety issue--because someone on a group ride was shot and killed (again) by a former group member--allegedly. Maybe I am just too literal and concrete a thinker, but for me, a cyclist getting shot while on any ride is sort of by definition a cycling safety issue. Because he died riding. No, it was not a carbon fiber rim exploding on a descent or a negligent truck versus cyclist crash, but to me, any time somebody on a bike is killed while on a ride, that's a cycling safety problem. People shouldn't die when they go for a bike ride.

So, when should people die? If there were a shooting during a dispute over a stamp collection, would that be a stamp collecting safety issue?
Old 12-12-19, 03:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
The price of postage slays more and more every day.
Old 12-12-19, 05:53 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So, when should people die? If there were a shooting during a dispute over a stamp collection, would that be a stamp collecting safety issue?
I completely respect your point of view--I do. Truly. I just don't share it.
Old 12-12-19, 08:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Not a new phenomenon: https://www.tonylester.co.uk/how-a-stamp-led-to-murder/
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-13-19, 08:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Compared to Europe, the U.S. postal service is inexpensive and more reliable. What's a first class stamp cost there days? $0.47? I can mail a letter to someone more than 3,000 miles away for next to nothing.
Old 12-15-19, 07:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I can easily remember when they were 4 cents and said they LOVE you.