Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi from East Bay (SF Bay Area)

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 10-22-19, 11:47 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts

OK, I've been kicking around here for a couple three weeks and figured time to stop in and say hello, formally.

My name is Barry, as suggested by my username. Originally from Harlow Essex in the UK. Where at 17 I was a member of the Harlow Cycling club, we even had our own velodrome with wooden banking at 45 degrees.... Really!
Enjoyed many a club run on a Sunday morning and the weeknight TT's, a 10 mile loop of the most hilly miles you'll ever see. But all 10 in the English countryside and very pretty.

left the UK 30 years ago and came to the San Francisco East Bay Area, brought my Holdsworth Special that I built in 1979 with me, but never really got back on it.
Mid 1990's I did get a mountain bike (Cannondale F700) and rode from time to time then it disappeared ?

Fast forward to 25 years to 2019, lost a bunch of weight, found an F700 upstairs under an old bed sheet, along with a Holdsworth in need of some TLC, BB, lower gears and grease. Rode the F700 while I worked on the Holdsworth.

Just purchased a 2011 61cm R3 as a size experiment. Wow comfortable ride compared to Vintage Steel!

Moving forward, I'm looking to pick up speed and stamina until I can keep up with one of the many local shop/club rides in the East Bay / Concord CA area.

All the best

I think I'll like it here !

Barry

I miss my old UK Biking buddy.... just in case he's listening.... Tony are you still riding the Roberts ?
Old 10-22-19, 03:24 PM
2WheelNut
cyclenut

Bikes: 1988 Colnago Master Piu, 2015 Specialized Tarmac, 2005 Felt F5, 1998 Marin San Marino, 1948 Monarch, and a whole slew of mountain bikes old and new.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hi Barry!
I would welcome you to the forum but I just joined myself. In fact, I'm right below you on the Introductions threads. Glad to hear you're back riding again. Enjoy!
Keith (2wheelnut)
Old 10-22-19, 03:32 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
OK, I've been kicking around here for a couple three weeks and figured time to stop in and say hello, formally.

My name is Barry, as suggested by my username. Originally from Harlow Essex in the UK. Where at 17 I was a member of the Harlow Cycling club, we even had our own velodrome with wooden banking at 45 degrees.... Really!
Enjoyed many a club run on a Sunday morning and the weeknight TT's, a 10 mile loop of the most hilly miles you'll ever see. But all 10 in the English countryside and very pretty.

left the UK 30 years ago and came to the San Francisco East Bay Area, brought my Holdsworth Special that I built in 1979 with me, but never really got back on it.
Mid 1990's I did get a mountain bike (Cannondale F700) and rode from time to time then it disappeared ?

Fast forward to 25 years to 2019, lost a bunch of weight, found an F700 upstairs under an old bed sheet, along with a Holdsworth in need of some TLC, BB, lower gears and grease. Rode the F700 while I worked on the Holdsworth.

Just purchased a 2011 61cm R3 as a size experiment. Wow comfortable ride compared to Vintage Steel!

Moving forward, I'm looking to pick up speed and stamina until I can keep up with one of the many local shop/club rides in the East Bay / Concord CA area.

All the best

I think I'll like it here !

Barry

I miss my old UK Biking buddy.... just in case he's listening.... Tony are you still riding the Roberts ?
Welcome, you're in bike heaven in the Concord area, you have great rides in every direction ... plus Mt. Diablo 10-15 miles away. You're either going uphill or downhill all the time, there are no flat areas. There are some nice rides in the Martinez area along the water and in the hills. I'm sure local group rides hit all these areas, and then some. The Three Bears are excellent!

Looks like a mild winter, hope you keep riding!
Old 10-22-19, 03:38 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
OK Lemond1985 , I'll bite....

What is/are "The Three Bears" ?

Barry
Old 10-22-19, 03:48 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
https://bayareabikerides.net/the-three-bears/