Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ebay vs. Craigslist?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ebay vs. Craigslist?

Old 11-15-19, 05:07 PM
PadawanHealy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ebay vs. Craigslist?

Would you primarily recommend Ebay or Craigslist for purchasing Mountain bicycles and Road bicycles? How much success have you had with either or both? Any trouble?
Old 11-15-19, 05:13 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I've bought one bike each from eBay and Craigslist.

Craigslist gives me a better local purchasing option than eBay due to the sheer quantity of local bikes available. Which means I can see the bike in person and even take a test ride before purchasing.

It seems like all the bikes I am interested to buy on eBay have to be shipped, which is costly and the bike can be damaged in shipment. Plus I don't get to see the bike in person on eBay. I can only go by photos and there may be mechanical issues that aren't disclosed.

While I like eBay over Craigslist for many things, I like Craigslist over eBay for bicycles.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-15-19, 05:14 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
I tend to like to see, touch, and ride a bike before I purchase it. Especially if I am considering a used bike. Easier to do this with Craigslist than eBay.

Now, if I am looking for a specific used bike, I may never have it become available on my area Craigslist. Then eBay would be the only viable option.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-15-19, 05:53 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by PadawanHealy
Would you primarily recommend Ebay or Craigslist for purchasing Mountain bicycles and Road bicycles? How much success have you had with either or both? Any trouble?
For whole bikes, I'd probably go with Craigslist...although I have yet to buy a bike from that source. For frames, I've purchased a number of them from Ebay without issue. A frame build up isn't something you can really test ride before buying anyway so being able to see the frame in person really isn't necessary. I check the measurements prior to purchase and, if there is a question, contact the seller.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-15-19, 06:37 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
neither/

try FB marketplace,seems to have taken most of the wind from CL as it's not as likely to result in a shady seller.paypal offers some safety for a buyer,more than a cash sale with CL.a gamble either road you choose really.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 11-15-19, 07:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Craigslist and lots of success and no trouble buying and selling
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-15-19, 08:01 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
On Ebay, you can select "X miles from my zip code" to see only local listings.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 11-15-19, 08:26 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I bought one bike from Ebay and it is a terrific bike. No one else was bidding on the bike and there was no reserve, so the price was low. The seller did a very job of packing it. We had excellent communication back and forth. I bought a bike that I found on C'list, but did not buy it using C'list. It was more local, I drove to see the bike and bought it. Also very happy with that transaction.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 11-15-19, 08:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
It really depends on your needs.

If you want something like a used department store mountain bike, then go Craigslist. They are a dime a dozen.

On the other hand, say you're looking for something relatively obscure like a 1940's British bike, then go with E-Bay.

A lot will also depend on your location. I'm about 100 miles from the "Big City", and 300 miles from the "Bigger City". It has both advantages and disadvantages. But, very few people are willing to ship large items with Craigslist. E-Bay, it is just expected. So, if you're in a small town, there may be some tremendous deals, or just nothing for sale on Craigslist.

For parts, I buy a lot off of E-Bay, or purchase new from European mail-order vendors.

Also, sometimes Amazon.

Or, for some sellers, if I can snag a name off of Amazon, I'll go to their own website.

Perhaps just a Google Search and see what pops up. I've actually even had Google searches pull up stuff from E-Bay that I wouldn't have found with E-Bay searches.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-15-19, 09:14 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Hmm. Aston Martin or Dodge. I can barely decide.

To assist, I've done a 4-figure number of transactions on eBay and got to a bit of a judgement on their service.

Strengths include having everything I ever want, unless I'm insanely fickle, and the sellers bending over backwards to get it to me, for the cheapest price.

Weaknesses? Well, eBay's 'money back guarantee' isn't worth jack. Once they have your money, it's down to the seller. Twice a courier has admitted to a seller I didn't receive an item. Twice the seller confirmed to eBay I didn't receive an item. Twice, eBay refused to refund me because they technically could - as the courier had clicked the 'delivered' button when leaving a parcel on the street and at a vacant property!

I doubt Craigslist would've got the money in my pocket though. They cannot match eBay's strengths so tell me how they can possibly excel..?
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 11-15-19, 09:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
A few additional things about E-Bay:

#1 , there are some unscrupulous sellers that toss their junk up there. Disclose just enough that buyers are stuck, but fail to mention significant flaws that would make local sales difficult.

#2 , be careful about buying used complete bikes. Inevitably sellers do a poor job at packing them, and damage is common. Buying individual components, even frames seems to have better packing/shipping results.

As always, pay attention to shipping quotes. They can vary considerably. For a complete bike, perhaps from $50 to $200 (or more). Even small parts can vary considerably.

Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon also has an issue that the individual seller isn't the one filling the boxes, and perhaps the goods even came from a different vendor.

Oh, also, E-Bay & Amazon are becoming favorite sources for China direct purchases. That is slow, and both good and bad. Good prices, but there is a risk to getting second rate products, especially if an unknown brand.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-15-19, 09:55 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Craigslist: No problems. I've bought a bunch of bikes (ranging from a nice road bike to a mid-grade commuter bike to vintage and beater bikes) on Craigslist. Size of town and time of year can impact supply. Prices for the same item vary widely by location. Advertisements are not always on-point.

Ebay: My favorite road bike came from Ebay, used. Better supply for specific items, though I'm careful about sellers. If it's a larger seller, I'll see if they have a separate website and coupons or shipping deals (which they'll sometimes have, since they're not paying Ebay fees that way.)

FB Marketplace: Seems to be the new Craigslist. I have yet to buy/sell bikes on FB, but have used it for some other large transactions that previously would have been Craigslist territory.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 11-16-19, 12:08 PM
tak2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have purchased a bike locally listed with good results, I have tried to purchase a bike on Ebay that turned into a big hassle that ultimately didn't happen, and I have purchased a bike and various other things on Pinkbike.com which were totally positive and I would whole heartily recommend. Pinkbike like Craigslist, you are working with individuals where you can communicate directly and you are not universally charged sales tax. You may be up for sales tax if you are purchasing from a bike shop and there are several that seem to list their clearance bikes on the site.
Likes For tak2:
Old 11-16-19, 03:11 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I use Ebay for parts and Craigslist for bikes. Ebay gives you a wider selection, even world wide, for hard to find parts, but for a bike, I like to see it and try it for size in person. So far, Ive bought 1 complete bike on CL and a few parts, lots of parts but no bikes, from Ebay.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 11-16-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-16-19, 03:15 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I've NOT bought 2 bikes off Craigslist

They looked good online.

I showed up with cash. And walked away. 1 just didn't fit my quite right. The other had a broken shifter and wasn't worth the price with a repair needed.

Both would have been a hassle had I bought them on eBay as they both would have been hard to return.

But when shopping on Craiglist...returning them just meant keeping cash in my pocket and walking away.

The one bike I did buy on Craigslist was for my kid. Got a great price and was able to see the condition of it before handing cash over. Turned out it was under priced because it was put together poorly and just needed a good going over with a wrench to make it perfect.

Plus no shipping charges.

So Craigslist all the way.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 11-16-19, 05:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
I've only bought 1 bike on Ebay quite a few years ago and that was my Raleigh hybrid NOS still in the box. No issues. I've bought parts on Ebay as well without issue. I've bought and sold bikes on CL both complete and frames I stripped the parts on for other builds. No issues there either. CL or FB is where I will generally go if I'm looking for a rider or parts donor as I want to have a good look at it and maybe ride it as well as see any issues I can bring into price negotiation. I've also bought from thrift stores and garage sales.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-16-19, 05:48 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Craigslist. I like to see be able to see, touch, and take the bike for a test ride. I'm also finding that eBay is being taken over my professional sellers whereas Clist is still very local focused.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 11-16-19, 10:14 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I've NOT bought 2 bikes off Craigslist

They looked good online.

I showed up with cash. And walked away. 1 just didn't fit my quite right. The other had a broken shifter and wasn't worth the price with a repair needed.

Both would have been a hassle had I bought them on eBay as they both would have been hard to return.

But when shopping on Craiglist...returning them just meant keeping cash in my pocket and walking away.

The one bike I did buy on Craigslist was for my kid. Got a great price and was able to see the condition of it before handing cash over. Turned out it was under priced because it was put together poorly and just needed a good going over with a wrench to make it perfect.

Plus no shipping charges.

So Craigslist all the way.
That's not entirely fair, as the only complete bikes I bought off eBay were pick-ups on a classified advert. I had presisely the same option to walk away.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 11-17-19, 06:39 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Ebay for bits, Craigslist for complete bikes.
Old 11-17-19, 07:47 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Craigslist or eBay only if it’s local. I would not buy a bike I could not “see, touch, and ride” before I hand over my money.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 11-18-19, 08:42 PM
PadawanHealy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never heard of FB Marketplace, seems interesting thus far!
Old 11-19-19, 12:21 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
Craigslist or eBay only if it’s local. I would not buy a bike I could not “see, touch, and ride” before I hand over my money.
I have bought cars before from ebay
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 11-19-19, 02:26 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I use eBay or Amazon for parts, accessories, etc. - items that are small enough to ship without problems. There are a couple of good bike shops that sell via eBay at decent prices and give quick service. But I would rather use CL for items that I want to check out prior to handing over the money. I did buy a mountain bike and a Saris rack on CL and have sold a couple of old Schwinns there.

CL does have some limitations - I am in a major metro area so there is quite a large selection of various "stuff" available to choose from. But if you live out in the boonies or some smaller city, the selection is smaller unless you want to drive some distance to check out an item.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 11-22-19, 10:58 AM
kolovoz

Bikes: Crown Jewel, Superfly, Presidio

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Most used bikes/frames have got on eBay, but did get a bike this year off of Craigslist that was cross country and the seller was happy to ship, so that was nice. eBay now has sales tax even on used stuff, so that's starting to impact where I look for things.
Old 11-23-19, 09:43 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I have done both .each has its advantages...craigslist has the get it today advantage..ebay has the much greater selection of bikes and prices to choose from...if I had to choose I would say....ebay is better

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.