Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Is there a more appropriate bike for my needs than the CAADX?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 12:07 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Just so I'm clear on terminology: Does "slacker" mean less steep HTA & longer wheelbase? Thanks.
That's how I meant it, yes. Slightly more effort required to turn, and thus more stable at speed and less affected by the uneven surface it's rolling on.

There's also something about chainstay length and how hard bumps hit by the rear wheel feel at the saddle (longer=less jarring), but that's not related to handling so I didn't mention it above.
Old 06-21-18, 12:13 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Yeah, tbh if my Sachs had 32 or 35c tires -- and more-than-enough clearance for them -- I'd be fine riding that on any of the trails I anticipate. And that's a full on "road bike", nothing "slack" or gravel-esque about it.
But it doesn't have the required clearance.

So as long as I have to buy another bike I might as well also get something with disc brakes, and a non-ferrous frame, and perhaps some slightly more forgiving gear ratios, and mounts for full-coverage fenders, and so here I am talking to the "Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)" crew.

btw, a couple nights ago I did some side-by-side geometry comparisons of two of my current road bikes with three of the off-road bikes I'm considering: The CAADX, the Trek Checkpoint ALR 4, and the Giant Anyroad Advanced 1. In addition to being the least expensive of those three, the CAADX had the closest geometry to the bikes I already own. And, arguably, the highest quality components. The fact that my wife owns a 2017 CAADX (which I presume means I could easily swap wheels with her) is starting to make me feel like the universe is telling me to just buy the CAADX.
Well the universe doesn't give a crap about what bike you buy but we all think you should buy a CAADX!
Old 07-02-18, 08:51 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval

NO

now go buy the caadx, you know, to shut them up.

Done. :::dancingbanana:::

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
Old 07-02-18, 10:06 AM
shoota 

Done. :::dancingbanana:::

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
Sweet!
Old 07-03-18, 08:56 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
Personally I won't ever consider a "gravel bike" again because of the low bottom bracket. Constant irritation, banging my toe on rocks and the ground (I use clips and straps). After trying to learn to love the Diverge for a year, I gave up and bought a Raleigh cross bike and love it.
This. Most gravel bikes do one thing well and that's gravel. There are a few CX pros I know who slap a 50-tooth crank-ring on during crit season and win. I love my Stigmata, does everything really well with virtually zero compromise. CAADx fits the bill.
Old 07-08-18, 06:16 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq
CAADx fits the bill.
Yep!

Finally picked it up yesterday, slapped on my bottle cages and odometer and got in a ~22 mile pavement ride. Today's plan is ~40 miles of mostly hardpack and gravel.
Old 07-08-18, 07:27 AM
sfh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK. That's officially awesome. You win the day!

I had a CAADX from a few years ago and never quite loved it. I LOVE the look of your bike! I actually used my CAADX mostly on the road, and it wasn't until I actually ran a cross race that I understood what a great machine it was. LOVE the look of your bike. Enjoy it!

Yep!

Finally picked it up yesterday, slapped on my bottle cages and odometer and got in a ~22 mile pavement ride. Today's plan is ~40 miles of mostly hardpack and gravel.
Old 07-08-18, 02:46 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Yep!

that looks way better then Website picture!!!
Old 07-09-18, 10:18 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
Is the OP (or are you, for that matter) Ted or Katie? Of course not.

Ted won DK overall on a slate not too long ago, is that also the perfect gravel bike?

To the OP: The CAADX has a decent head angle, but short chainstays and a medium height BB - it might be less stable at speed on loose gravel than you would like, and there are plenty of other bikes that offer similar features with a slacker overall geometry. You just don't need twitchy handling on a gravel bike - unless you are also expecting that bike to be good for racing CX or crits, but then it is a compromise bike.

I'd suggest looking at something like the Norco Search, Jamis Renegade, RLT 9, or Raleigh Tamland.
I'm looking at a Focus Mares, which has a 71 deg head tube angle. I'm not an expert on frame geometry, but this seems slacker than pretty much every bike out there. And it DID feel less agile than other bikes I tested. Is this something you would be wary of, especially as this bike would spend a lot of time on pavement for me as well?
Old 07-09-18, 11:57 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I'm looking at a Focus Mares, which has a 71 deg head tube angle. I'm not an expert on frame geometry, but this seems slacker than pretty much every bike out there. And it DID feel less agile than other bikes I tested. Is this something you would be wary of, especially as this bike would spend a lot of time on pavement for me as well?
It would be for me. I like riding road bikes because they feel agile and fast. Slack, slow, stable gravel bikes just don't feel that way on pavement.
Old 07-09-18, 01:45 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Same, my first gravel bike was a steel slack framed touring/bikepacking geometry. I used it for pavement commuting and gentle gravel, and have a fast carbon road bike for the road. The slacked geometry was good, but never "fun". Once I brought it to my first cyclocross practice, the deficiencies were obvious. bought my first cyclocross bike(a CAADX) i knew the touring bike had to go.