Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bike recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 09:54 AM
tyCycler
Noob

Bikes: Gravel: 2018 Specialized Diverge Expert. Road: Trek 2013 Domane Di2, 2006 Specialized Roubaix Pro (retired), MTB: 2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er, Folder: Dahon Mu P24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RideMyLeMond
So how are you liking those Roval SLX-24 wheels on your Expert? My upgraded Diverge Sport is all spec'ed out and the parts are all @ my LBS. Just need to get better wheels than those Axis Sport wheels that weight over 2100grams. May have to get some DT-350/HED wheels built up.

I noticed that you're in North SD County, are you familiar with the GravelStoke Group on FB?
Wheels seem pretty good to me so far, running tubeless, etc.
Yes, I've rode with them couple of times as schedule permits.
Old 03-04-18, 03:18 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wunderchicken

I started at my LBS and was shown the Specialized Sequoia and Specialized Diverge Comp. Both had hydraulic disc brakes and I could stop from the hoods with ease. Both also had holes drilled for a rear rack mount and I think I'd need a special collar on the seat post. The Sequoia rode super smooth but felt slow. I absolutely LOVED the Diverge Comp. It rode a lot smoother than my Crossrip but also felt really fast.
Do you load the rack often for the commute? The Sequoia has a longer wheelbase that, IMHO, makes for a better bike for a rack with even a modest (~5lbs) load. I have a 2015 Crossrip Elite with a rack as my commuter, and if I was to choose between those two I'd go sequoia. I have other bikes, though, but for me a light tourer makes a better commute bike if I ever want to carry stuff. The sequioa will have room for fat tires with fenders, too - I'm not sure the Diverge will.

The newest Diverge seems to have dispensed with the rack mounts, which is a big hint.
Old 03-04-18, 04:06 PM
wunderchicken

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
Do you load the rack often for the commute? The Sequoia has a longer wheelbase that, IMHO, makes for a better bike for a rack with even a modest (~5lbs) load. I have a 2015 Crossrip Elite with a rack as my commuter, and if I was to choose between those two I'd go sequoia. I have other bikes, though, but for me a light tourer makes a better commute bike if I ever want to carry stuff. The sequioa will have room for fat tires with fenders, too - I'm not sure the Diverge will.

The newest Diverge seems to have dispensed with the rack mounts, which is a big hint.
For commuting, I prefer racks. I carry my laptop, a change of clothes and a bindrr of paperwork.

Part of my problem is that I only have room in my garage for one bike. So I'm trying to get an all-in-one. I also want something that feels fast on the weekend (I recently started pulling the rack off my Crossrip for weekend rides and really like the handling).

I stopped by the Trek store and they almost have me convinced to get Crossrip 3 (2018). I get working brakes (my #1 complaint on my current bike), 105 groupset (my target drivetrain) and a bike designed for racks rather than added as an after thought. The only problem is that they have none in stock to try out.
Old 03-08-18, 11:56 AM
wunderchicken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm moving away from the all-in-one bike plan. The 2018 Crossrip 3 would satisfy my comutter rack requirements, get me better brakes and the component upgrades I wanted but it's just not exciting.

I reorganized my garage and got some new vertical racks so I can have 2 bikes easily accessible. Now I'm free to get a racier / faster bike for the weekends and some time in the next year or so, I'll get something like the Sequoia (my commute ride this past Monday I was feeling lazy and have a better understanding of why you'd want something more relaxed).

Now that I don't need racks on my racier bike, I don't know what to get. I really liked carbon Specialized Diverge Comp but I don't even know if I need a gravel bike period. I think I was getting pushed that way because the gravel / CX bikes had rack mounts. But now that I don't need them, do I need a gravel bike? On the weekend, I ride around 25 miles in an outing on a combination of the road / smooth asphalt greenway / choppy asphalt greenway (tree roots busting it up) / hard packed dirt and tiny stones that can get muddy and choppy. I rarely ride on real gravel. I don't think a crazy road bike with carbon rims would like the kind of riding I do but maybe there is something in between?
Old 03-08-18, 10:57 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
In between a Trek crossrip and a carbon road bike? How able a vintage Reynolds steel road bike?
Old 03-09-18, 07:21 PM
ph0rk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A racy gravel bike like a warbird might do the trick.
Old 03-10-18, 04:48 PM
wunderchicken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS is a Specialized shop so I'm leaning towards either a Roubaix Elite or a Crux Sport. Based in the limited riding I do on hard pack (like 3 or 4 miles on a 20 mile weekend ride), I THINK the future shock in the head tube and the cobler gobler on the seat post will make the Roubaix preferable. The Roubaix also has chain rings in a 50-34 which seems more normal to me than the Crux's 46-36. I'm guessing the Crux is like that for CX which I don't think I'll ever try.
Old 07-10-18, 08:45 PM
wunderchicken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchased!

I know it's been awhile but I finally pulled the trigger on the Sequoia. I ended up with the Expert 1x with SRAM double tap because it was $1000 off to make room for the 2019 models. I absolutely love it! The ride is way smoother and I was surprised that the bike is lighter than my Trek Crossrip. My average speed is up by 2-3 mph although that may just be new bike enthusiasm. I just bumped over 100 miles on the new bike and have no complaints.

In a year or two, I'll pick up an endurance bike or something even more road orriented since the Sequoia can tackle any kind of gravel trails I might ride.
Old 07-11-18, 02:27 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I know it's been awhile but I finally pulled the trigger on the Sequoia. I ended up with the Expert 1x with SRAM double tap because it was $1000 off to make room for the 2019 models. I absolutely love it! The ride is way smoother and I was surprised that the bike is lighter than my Trek Crossrip. My average speed is up by 2-3 mph although that may just be new bike enthusiasm. I just bumped over 100 miles on the new bike and have no complaints.

In a year or two, I'll pick up an endurance bike or something even more road orriented since the Sequoia can tackle any kind of gravel trails I might ride.
lol Oh and hahahahahahahaa
and LOL
hahaha yup !

I've been dogging on the crossrip forever at being a ***** bike. Enjoy your new ride!

a steel bike that is lighter than Al. bike. hahahaha
Old 07-11-18, 03:41 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
lol Oh and hahahahahahahaa
and LOL
hahaha yup !

I've been dogging on the crossrip forever at being a ***** bike. Enjoy your new ride!

a steel bike that is lighter than Al. bike. hahahaha
Crossrip 3 is listed at 22.8lb. Sequoia Elite was weighed at 24lb by road.cc and Cycling Weekly last year. Crossrip 2 was weighed in various reviews at 23lb.
Old 07-11-18, 04:40 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by curttard
Crossrip 3 is listed at 22.8lb. Sequoia Elite was weighed at 24lb by road.cc and Cycling Weekly last year. Crossrip 2 was weighed in various reviews at 23lb.
I am 25 lbs Crossrip elite with pedals/ sks longboards. size 52.... don't bull **** me. and that is with a MUCH lighter than stock wheelset.

I am fully aware of EXACTLY how heavy the crossrip is.
Old 07-11-18, 06:18 PM
wunderchicken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Crossrip is the lowest 2014 model with a 54 frame. I used a luggage scale to weigh it and it came in at about 26lbs. The Sequoia came in around 24.5 with the rack and clipless pedals. I'm not sure how accurate the luggage scale is but I would think it can tell me if one thing is heavier than the other. I don't think 1 lb is going to make a difference considering my lunch, clothes and laptop probably weigh another 15 lbs but I just thought it was funny that a steal bike with disc brakes weighed less than an aluminum bike with really crappy cantelever brakes.
Old 07-16-18, 11:30 AM
Metieval

btw the Sequoia stock wheels and tires are both heavier than the crossrip stock wheels, and stock H5 tires.

in an apples to apples, I'd love to see a frame/fork weight comparison, between Crossrip and Sequoia

However after riding the Crossrip for a few + years, and also riding an alloy synapse. and carbon hi mod Supersix. the Trek is brutal as brutal gets and that is on pavement, which is why I typically just ride my hardtail 29er on gravel. That Trek brutalness makes saving a pound pretty pointless, when it is over 25lbs equipped. I'd rather be riding steel.
I guess I keep holding out, in hoping that Cannondale drops a thru axle alloy caadx or thru axle alloy synapse that can run a 38c with fenders.

the biggest flaw on the Crossrip is this Downtube Idiocy. Makes for a very flexy & vibration prone frame.

Old 07-20-18, 06:50 PM
wunderchicken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My primary use case is comutting and the difference between the Crossrip and Sequoia is night and day. The 42mm tires + suspension in the head tube and on the seat post make for an incredibly cushy ride. I didn"t know what I was missing - my wrists are the mosy happy with the change. Weight isn't an issue so much since I don't have very hilly terrain. On the flats, the Sequoia feels faster but that may just be new bike excitement. Either way, I'm averaging 16mph on my commute up from 14mph doing about 12 miles.
Old 07-20-18, 10:12 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
...I guess I keep holding out, in hoping that Cannondale drops a thru axle alloy caadx or thru axle alloy synapse that can run a 38c with fenders.
Build up a Mason Bokeh frameset?
Old 07-20-18, 10:23 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Build up a Mason Bokeh frameset?
No!
after the Crossrip, I'll never own another AL. framed bike unless it is Cannondale CAAD.

besides that detail, the next glaring detail is the Mason Bokeh geometry.
Old 07-21-18, 06:52 AM
ph0rk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As much as you complain about your crossrip I can only assume someone told you it wasn't basically a commuter when you bought it?

The crossrip isn't that heavy for what it is (a pricepoint bike), but the stock wheelset certainly is. Mine was weighed at 24lbs with rack, cages, pedals, and gas tank. I put some other oem wheelset on it that was still about a pound lighter, even with 38mm tires. Especially the lowest end crossrip - heavy wheels and heavier drivetrain components.

That said, modern alloy is fine. I'd take an ALR Domane over the carbon ones in a heartbeat (and I did; only a half pound heavier than the SL disc frame, and that's with an alloy steerer tube in the fork). Plus, salt bike.

The 42mm tires + suspension in the head tube and on the seat post make for an incredibly cushy ride
I don't think the Sequoia has the future shock in the headtube. The tires, though, likely make a pretty big difference in comfort. It also probably has the bars in a higher position, so you put less weight on your wrists. This is correctable with your crossrip for not much money, if you still have it. Having a rain bike is nice, also one you don't mind locking up next to other beaters.

The Sequoia is a pretty rad bike - and it's good that they cleared up the weight issue with the elite model.

Last edited by ph0rk; 07-21-18 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-21-18, 07:44 PM
wunderchicken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As much as you complain about your crossrip I can only assume someone told you it wasn't basically a commuter when you bought it?

The crossrip isn't that heavy for what it is (a pricepoint bike), but the stock wheelset certainly is. Mine was weighed at 24lbs with rack, cages, pedals, and gas tank. I put some other oem wheelset on it that was still about a pound lighter, even with 38mm tires. Especially the lowest end crossrip - heavy wheels and heavier drivetrain components.

That said, modern alloy is fine. I'd take an ALR Domane over the carbon ones in a heartbeat (and I did; only a half pound heavier than the SL disc frame, and that's with an alloy steerer tube in the fork). Plus, salt bike.

I don't think the Sequoia has the future shock in the headtube. The tires, though, likely make a pretty big difference in comfort. It also probably has the bars in a higher position, so you put less weight on your wrists. This is correctable with your crossrip for not much money, if you still have it. Having a rain bike is nice, also one you don't mind locking up next to other beaters.

The Sequoia is a pretty rad bike - and it's good that they cleared up the weight issue with the elite model.
You are right: no future shock on the Sequoia so it must be all tire and complaint fork.

I don't mean to sound so down on the Crossrip. It was a transition from MTB commuter to something faster for me. I also wanted a bike that did everything when I bought the Crossrip: comutter, triathlon bike, gravel / hardpack. I also didn't spend that much on it. My only real complaint is the brakes.

I want to run 2 bikes: one comfy comutter and one faster road bike. I kept the Crossrip and plan to fix it up a little while I save up for a real road bike. In the meantime, I'm planning on:
- fixing the brakes by removing the inline brakes and replacing the cables and housings
- new crankset: I never used the smallest chainring and was getting to a point where I didn't really need the big one either; it's mostly flat in NC where I ride so a 1x seems reasonable
- def thinner tires; I'm running 35mm now so I think I could do 28s. Maybe a new wheelset - I don't really know how expensive this is. I'm looking at cheap upgrades but if I can find lighter wheelsets for a reasonable price...
Old 07-21-18, 07:55 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I wouldn't put money into your crossrip, just save for the road bike you want. You are unlikely to get the money back for the upgrades when you sell.
Old 07-21-18, 08:39 PM
Metieval

Mine was weighed at 24lbs with rack, cages, pedals, and gas tank. I put some other oem wheelset on it that was still about a pound lighter, even with 38mm tires. Especially the lowest end crossrip - heavy wheels and heavier drivetrain components.
LOL I'd love to see the bike scale photo proof of that! what size is your crossrip? are you tubeless?

Truth be told I bought Crossrip for the purpose of commuting. (however at the time 2013 Trek called/advertised it as a gravel/cyclocross bike, now they have the Domane gravel, Checkpoint, etc... and have since 2013 re labeled the Crossrip)
the Crossrip won out of several bikes inm my line up based on it having internal cable routing. Which is also it's biggest downfall due to Trek being 'cheap' on the exit of said internal cable routing. I also jumpped the gun because of a 'deal' the LBS offered me. meanwhile 2 other LBS quit carrying the Crossrip as it was a poor seller, and now I know why.

In all fairness to the Crossrip, I have a very high mileage on Cannondale Caad frames. thus I have a pretty high bar when it comes to the marriage of compliance/stiffness/performance.

Which makes me curious to what other bikes have you ridden, for you to call the crossrip "rad" ? a Long haul trucker that rides like a freight train once you get it rolling? maybe some other bikes that ride like a pavement roller?

Regardless, the Sequoia Pro Module was a frame I considered building up. but for the same money I can buy a lighter frame with better performance, in Niner RLT 853. yet the Sequoia having a higher BB is something that could sway me to it.
yet the turn off is in Specialized marketing, " Premium Cr-Mo" really********** why can't they just be straight, forthright, and tell me what it is? I also Dislike the badge riveted to the seat tube. I really don't care about petty stuff, like labels, badges.

btw Niner RLT Al. vs niner RLT 853 4.5 lbs vs 6.13 lbs.

It is absolutely stupid that the Trek Al Crossrip, is so close to the same weight as many steel bikes! with the steel bikes having the edge in performance. Crossrip = dead heavy over built AL.

We will never see eye to eye or agree on the Crossrip because my standards in a bike is a bit higher than yours. Like the OP, he moved on to a better bicycle. Congrats to him!!!
Old 07-22-18, 07:35 PM
wunderchicken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I wouldn't put money into your crossrip, just save for the road bike you want. You are unlikely to get the money back for the upgrades when you sell.
I do need a second set of cadence/speed sensors and clipless pedals to transfer to the new road bike so I can at least pick these up. If the upgrades are under $75, they might be worth it. I'm guessing this probably just means tires and no new crank set or new wheel set.