Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why isn't gravel bike a forum yet?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 08:35 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts

Sure, it's trendy and there's a lot of empty marketing....but it's a real thang.
Old 03-06-19, 08:43 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
There is a gravel forum
Old 03-06-19, 09:03 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,781 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...-recreational/
Old 03-06-19, 09:23 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
This post strikes me as awfully trolly, seemingly made by someone has been on this site for a decade and never noticed the CX & Gravel sub-forum.
Old 03-06-19, 09:27 PM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikepacking might make sense.
Old 03-07-19, 04:14 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikesplendor
Bikepacking might make sense.
Being completely different from long-distance/randonneuring.
Old 03-07-19, 04:36 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
This post strikes me as awfully trolly, seemingly made by someone has been on this site for a decade and never noticed the CX & Gravel sub-forum.
Probably never read past the CX part. I am 100% sure he isn’t a troll.
Old 03-07-19, 07:16 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11967 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 3,479 Posts
Maybe they should switch the name around - Gravelbiking and Cyclocross?

Nahhhhhhh.
Old 03-07-19, 07:34 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11967 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 3,479 Posts
To be honest, when I first heard about gravel biking, and when it got lumped together here with Cyclocross biking, I assumed it was another rough-and-tumble form of cycling similar to Cyclocross, featuring roads of thick, coarse gravel stones much like a gravel driveway. Aside from the fact I couldn't picture riding on that as an enjoyable thing, I couldn't picture how so many guys were all of a sudden finding all these gravel roads to ride on. I had no idea people were actually talking about dirt biking, simply a hard packed dirt surface with a natural mix of sparse embedded stones and maybe a light sprinkling of loose pebbles on the surface.

But to each his own.
Old 03-07-19, 08:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
would have been funny if the OP posted it in the Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) subforum

luv me some gravel

Old 03-07-19, 10:34 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
First I just want to say that I am strictly a road cyclist. But, in defense of gravel cyclists...maybe it should have its own forum. I'm not much of an expert on other forms of cycling, but I have seen enough cyclo bikes to know what one looks like (at least I thought I had). Alas, apparently there is a notable difference between cyclo and gravel. A couple of years ago while traveling, I stopped into a LBS to inquire about renting a road bike. On the showroom floor there was what I thought was a cyclocross bike. I commented to the LBS employee (who I think was actually the owner) how I thought it was a "...nice looking cyclocross bike." He quickly responded "Oh no. It is definitely a gravel bike. We just built it up." So I asked what the differences were...but he said really only slight variations in frame geometry. But...so if mountain bikes and fat bikes each have their own forum, should not cyclo and gravel each have their own? (And I want to state that it really doesn't matter to me. I'm just saying for the sake of argument.)

Dan
Old 03-07-19, 10:40 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Gravel bikes. A niche within a niche.
Old 03-07-19, 10:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-bi...147631431.html
Old 03-07-19, 02:26 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Gravel? Nope. We have plenty of sand and loose gravel over top. The only bike that is even equipped to be passable is a fat tired thing. You'll be carrying your gravel bike.
Old 03-07-19, 04:38 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
To be honest, when I first heard about gravel biking, and when it got lumped together here with Cyclocross biking, I assumed it was another rough-and-tumble form of cycling similar to Cyclocross, featuring roads of thick, coarse gravel stones much like a gravel driveway. Aside from the fact I couldn't picture riding on that as an enjoyable thing, I couldn't picture how so many guys were all of a sudden finding all these gravel roads to ride on. I had no idea people were actually talking about dirt biking, simply a hard packed dirt surface with a natural mix of sparse embedded stones and maybe a light sprinkling of loose pebbles on the surface.

But to each his own.
Depending on the locale, it may be hard packed or not. It also may be a light-sprinkling or not.

Around here the DOR prefers to dump pea gravel and not compact it....so after a fresh-dumping it is loose and not at all compacted, but a few months later it is compacted or spread to the sides by cars leaving dirt.....or after drought may be hard packed dirt, or may be softpack dusty dirt. Of course on the west coast--you'll hear/see lots about fire-roads.

You might also find dumped railroad ballast on occasion on more private roads that are MMR insofar as the county is concerned.

Conditions are as variable as CX....except last a great deal longer than 45minutes-1 hour.
Old 03-07-19, 06:59 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I think the name gravel bike is a little misleading. The term adventure bike is much more descriptive to me. With that said I do think it is time to have a separate category because the recreational cyclocross/gravel bike doesn't make sense, since they are so different.

People can say niche of a niche but even Fat bikes got their own category. Talk about niche of a niche of a niche.
Old 03-07-19, 07:04 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

I also think that penny-farthings should have their own forum.

Dan
Old 03-07-19, 08:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD

But to each his own.
bless your heart.
Old 03-08-19, 02:49 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Gravel biking is definitely a thing - particularly for those of us in more rural areas where half the roads are...gravel.

I'm not sure if it makes a ton of sense to separate it from the 'cross forum at this point: the majority of the posts in that subforum are actually about gravel biking. There's also obviously cross-over (no pun intended) with other sub-forums, especially long-distance cycling (for the brutal, long-distance events), touring (relevant to bikepacking on mixed surfaces), and fatbiking (for those who do gravel on fatbikes).

If anything, a few stickies like "show us your gravel bike!" might make the dual nature of the subforum more apparent
Old 03-09-19, 09:28 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Its actually helpful to have cyclocross and gravel together. Although there are differences, there are also similarities. All in one forum. Otherwise, it would be going back and forth to get information. You know, decision making. What works for you.
Old 03-09-19, 09:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Why does the CX/Gravel forum have a "(Recreational)" qualifier in its title? Is this supposed to distinguish this forum from others in some way?
Old 03-09-19, 10:20 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Why does the CX/Gravel forum have a "(Recreational)" qualifier in its title? Is this supposed to distinguish this forum from others in some way?
So that race-oriented threads don't end up in that sub-forum.
There are several sub-forums dedicated to competition events, while many ride gravel just for fun.
Old 03-09-19, 10:30 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
So that race-oriented threads don't end up in that sub-forum.
There are several sub-forums dedicated to competition events, while many ride gravel just for fun.
Yup. Same idea as having a "road cycling" and "MTB Cycling" forum and a dedicated racing boards for each of those disciplines.
Old 03-09-19, 10:45 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I'd rather put them all together. When you break them up there is a lot of overlap like "training" or even a lot of equipment that fits better in the general.
I see two groups on BF.

Competitive - The sport/s - racing (goal to win), anything that is competition and getting there first, in less time, fastest, longer (if you are competing against another rider) is better than not. It can be the riders, the coaches and the fans - but it is all about how to win, or get closer to it.

Non-competitive. They can show pictures of bikes, scenery, water, snow and cool stuff that costs 20X what it should. Posting about what goes faster is still fun, even when not doing it to win an official race.

I am tweaking the tandem - tubulars, aero bars, Di2 (the tandem stuff would fit well on any gravel bike too) but have more in common with the racing thread where they deal with Di2 and tubulars than tandem when it is more tourists.
Old 03-09-19, 10:49 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I'm still confused, what forum do I post about my rides that are a third road riding, jump to gravel at the edge of town for a third then hook up to a rail-trail mup for the remainder? All the while on my horizontal top tube LeMond with brifters and GP4ks2's?

Can't really post in Gravel (recreational) since I dropped a known cat 1 racer from my Strava. Sure he was probably (100% definitely) doing a recovery ride. Also he might have been riding no handed and snacking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.