Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the optimal tire width for maximum speed on roads?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 08:40 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
Like most things, the answer is, It depends. Under most conditions and on most road bikes, 28-mm tires will have less rolling resistance than 35-mm.

I think there's more debate in this forum between 25-mm and 28-mm.
I think this is a much more complicated question than most people think. I think the greatest difference has to do with the surface you are riding on and how fast you ride.

IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS EQUAL at low speeds a wider tire will have less rolling resistance because, at equal air pressure, it has to deform less. On a bumpy road a larger, lower pressure tire will be faster than a narrow, hard one because it bounces upward less. The energy expended to lift you up with each bounce, isn't moving you down the road.

As your speed increases, aero drag becomes progressively more significant. That favors narrow tires for folks who average greater than 15 MPH and wider tires for people who average less. As you progress beyond 15 MPH the benefit of narrower tires increases.
Old 03-10-19, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

Wheel sucking behind a Big Guy on a motor bike, will make you faster as they will push the air resistance aside..

AKA Motorpacing ... it's a thing in the training tradition..
Old 03-10-19, 02:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts

26.5mm
Old 03-10-19, 03:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sewups.. Hand Made..
Old 03-10-19, 10:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Originally Posted by wipekitty
+1 and more
Do you think this thread will settle it once and for all?

My commuter bike has 2.8’s, not 28’s. YMMV
Old 03-11-19, 03:02 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My commuter bike has 2.8’s, not 28’s. YMMV
smooth tread or not??
Old 03-11-19, 07:58 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by catgita
I did a century ride recently where I passed almost the entire field, and I am not that strong. I was riding an allroad bike with 44mm tires, while everyone else was riding typical road tires between 23-28mm, many with aero rims. The roads were rough, everyone was complaining bitterly, and I was grinning ear to ear.
Most strong rec riders are still way too heavy to be riding a 23mm tire. Not too heavy versus the general public, but relative to cycling.

A 44 is freaking massive. Were you guys riding through a third world country, or Detroit? I only use 32's for gravel grinding, including a patch of single track to get there and back.
Old 03-11-19, 01:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Do you think this thread will settle it once and for all?My commuter bike has 2.8’s, not 28’s. YMMV
dunno I'm still chewing away with these things for now ...

Old 03-12-19, 10:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
The optimal tire width is 26.27839mm.

Next question.
Old 03-13-19, 09:22 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I've always ridden 700x23 or 25. My Hutchinson tubeless tires are starting to show their age so I ordered a new pair of fusion 5 tubeless 700x28 today to see how they behave.
They are likely to spin up a bit slower than 700x23 but that's not a huge concern.
Old 03-13-19, 03:29 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by el forestero
Super helpful and informative posts, all. Thank you! Given the kind of riding I do, long-distance recreational, and not at pro race speeds, sounds like any speed gains I might get from going with narrower tires aren't going to be great enough to merit giving up the increased comfort of riding on wider tires inflated to relatively lower pressures. I'm currently riding on Bontrager H2 Hard-Case Lite tires and AT-750 alloy rims. Very interested to hear more on what folks have found to be high-quality, fast 32 or 35 mm tires and rims, and will post a new thread on that.
You are riding boat anchors. As stiff heavy and slow as a pneumatic tire could get. Only solid tires could be worse. The rims are adequate but not much. Any tire, any tire at all, any width, that has one particle of 'performance' built into it is going to ride smoother and better and faster than what you have been enduring. Get good tires and don't worry about the fine points.
Old 03-13-19, 09:38 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
my prevous roadbike had 28.
now i have 25.
i feel noticeably faster on 25 and less fatique.
and 25 feels just as cimfortable as 28.

just came back from group ride. i was just barely able to keep up. if i still have 28,... i would have been dropped fir sure. for sure.

difference in speed may not be much...but its diff btn winner and loser.
how do you know your new road bike isn’t more comfortable and faster? Have you tried 25s on your old bike or 28s on you’re new one and ensured your pressures were appropriately adjusted?

One thing that I don’t think I read anyone say: Aero wheels are way faster in flat races. But your rim width needs to be proportional to your tire width. If you wanted a 35mm tire, you’d need a rim that was 37mm at the bead and probably 40mm at its widest to achieve a toroidal shape. This wheel and tire combination would be significantly heavier than a 25mm tire on a 28mm rim. This explains why pros tend to ride narrower tires than may be appropriate for slower riders.

That being said, if you’re not running aero rims, the benefits of narrower tires go down considerably since you can just put a wide tire on a narrow rims.
Old 03-14-19, 06:34 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Just a few thoughts on this. Firstly, the surface you're riding on will determine the optimum tyre type. A long time ago, when roads were maintained and not continually cut up by the volume of traffic they carry now, we had wonderful smooth tarmac. In the 1980s I had 19mm tyres for time trialling, with 120psi in them. On today's roads a tyre set up like that would be almost unrideable.

Secondly, the bike construction has a part to play. I ride 23mm tyres on steel framed bikes, but find that I need 25mm tyres on aluminium framed bikes to get the same balance of comfort and speed.

Third factor is the construction of the tyre - a good quality 28mm tyre is likely to be lighter, roll faster, and be more comfortable to ride than a cheap 23mm. (The exception to this is a Gatorskin tyre which is neither cheap nor nice to ride on).

​​​​​​If you've not read Laurent Fignon's autobiography incidentally itsi well worth reading - there's a passage in it detailing how wider tyres were initially not wanted by the pro's on his team until they were tried and proved to be faster.
Old 03-14-19, 06:58 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
With the increase in tire sizes from 23 to 28, the newer rim sizes are also changing to accommodate it all. Pro riders like the one's in the Classics are asked by the bike manufacturers the two things: speed and comfort. So it does matter and eventually filters down to the mass market.

The older Shimano brake calipers like the 6600 & 6700 may not open up wide enough to accommodate the newer rim widths.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 03-14-19 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 07:20 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Like most here, I have a mix of 23's to 47's on my bikes.
My race bike has 25 rear, 23 front. On only one ride did I feel the need to lower the psi. 114 miles & 7000 feet elevation on chip seal has a way of taxing the backside.
The 47 bike is noticably slower in all aspects & benefits from being at maximum pressure for road. This is an extreme case with a hard smooth center ridge in an otherwise agressive knobby tread pattern. The high pressure keeps the knobs from dragging down the whole.
The bike with 41's & less agressive knobbies is noticably slower at maximum pressure (80) than with a more sensible pressure (45-50) for on road use. I think it comes down to "bounce" being transferred to "bum" & not back to road. It really shines at ~40 for gravel.

Like others have said, it comes down to the surface you are riding on, your weight, the pressure in the tire & a host of other factors like aerodynamics, tread pattern, casing construction, etc...There is an optimal for every situation. Be dynamic. On rough surfaces like chip seal it's ok to run a slightly wider than average tire bit lower. How much depends on the local riding conditions. Much cycling dogma came from velodrome type surfaces or absolutly perfect street found only in laboratory conditions where skinny & high pressure often make sense, but doesn't translate well to the real world.

As for me, I weigh185-200 pounds, on my race bike, I run about 110 on a 25 rear, & 100 on the 23 front. Some would scoff at that, but if I know where I'll be riding I'll adjust down accordingly, but never less than the 95psi minimum recommendation on the sidewall.

Not that I'm any more or less qualified than anyone else here, but I hope that helps.
Aaron
Old 03-15-19, 10:38 AM
Dfreeman617 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Most strong rec riders are still way too heavy to be riding a 23mm tire. Not too heavy versus the general public, but relative to cycling.

A 44 is freaking massive. Were you guys riding through a third world country, or Detroit? I only use 32's for gravel grinding, including a patch of single track to get there and back.
I did a charity ride in Detroit last year on 25 mm Continentals. 40+ miles with no flats
Old 03-15-19, 12:23 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Old 03-15-19, 01:34 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Large enough to keep the rim off the ground is optimal. I know that sounds snarky and unhelpful but I've been round and round with this question, and eventually I come to: the tire width within reason does matter all that much for speed.

My larger tires have typically been designed more for durability, or flat protection, or even grip, and are hence heavier and slower than my narrower tires which are typically more performance-orientated. So it's tempting to say that narrower tires are faster, but the fact is the tires are faster period. Less to do with width.

I don't want a big block in the wind or the feeling that I have to push it to spin up. But seriously, we're only looking at 6 or 7 square inches more, and given all of the things on my bike or body that take up an extra 6 or 7 square inches it's hard to take the aerodynamic penalty very seriously. So given a particular brand or style of tire, and the particular surfaces I roll on, at enough pressure that it's in that smooth rolling range, it just needs to be big enough to keep the rim from bouncing and that's it. Anything from 23 to 32 is optimal for me, if it's the right tire.
Old 03-15-19, 02:43 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
What's the best flavor of ice cream?
Old 03-15-19, 02:55 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Rolling resistance is only part of the equation. As far as physical quality of the tire, weight, tread compound, suppleness, and aerodynamics also need to be considered. You still don't have the full story as there are rider factors that come into play. When I started out 23mm on narrow rims was all the rage, even for Clydesdales who had to pump them up rock hard to prevent snakebite. I hated the ride and the feel but put up with them because they were "faster". Then I tried Bontrager AW3 lites in 25mm and found that my speed actually increased on medium to long rides through the hills of MN lakes country. Part of it might have been rolling resistance, aerodynamics, etc, but IMHO the more important factor is that the tires were more supple and didn't have to be inflated to rock hard. The net result was that I felt more comfortable for longer and was more confident on corners and less than perfect road surfaces, so I rode faster and had less fatigue. Now I ride 25mm on a moderately wide rim on my road bike and 28mm in the same tire on a slightly wider rim on my mutt. Way more fun, very comfortable and hasn't hurt my overall speed at all. I might lose a minutia of speed on climbs but make up for it on descents and corners, and (added bonus) at the end of the day my hands aren't numb from road buzz.
Old 03-15-19, 03:06 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Rolling resistance is only part of the equation. As far as physical quality of the tire, weight, tread compound, suppleness, and aerodynamics also need to be considered. You still don't have the full story as there are rider factors that come into play. When I started out 23mm on narrow rims was all the rage, even for Clydesdales who had to pump them up rock hard to prevent snakebite. I hated the ride and the feel but put up with them because they were "faster". Then I tried Bontrager AW3 lites in 25mm and found that my speed actually increased on medium to long rides through the hills of MN lakes country. Part of it might have been rolling resistance, aerodynamics, etc, but IMHO the more important factor is that the tires were more supple and didn't have to be inflated to rock hard. The net result was that I felt more comfortable for longer and was more confident on corners and less than perfect road surfaces, so I rode faster and had less fatigue. Now I ride 25mm on a moderately wide rim on my road bike and 28mm in the same tire on a slightly wider rim on my mutt. Way more fun, very comfortable and hasn't hurt my overall speed at all. I might lose a minutia of speed on climbs but make up for it on descents and corners, and (added bonus) at the end of the day my hands aren't numb from road buzz.
i have been thinking of going 28mm on my road bike front tire and leaving the rear tire at 25mm. reason for that would be extra handlebar comfort and steering traction up front. the back wheel comfort for now is handled by the padding in the bikes padded seat.

anyone try this? does a wider tire up front make more sense?
Old 03-15-19, 04:15 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
i have been thinking of going 28mm on my road bike front tire and leaving the rear tire at 25mm. reason for that would be extra handlebar comfort and steering traction up front. the back wheel comfort for now is handled by the padding in the bikes padded seat.

I've often done that, mainly when I have 1 of each and I think the greater width and lower pressure gives better grip on looser stuff which I prefer on the front as opposed to the rear. But what really is the advantage as opposed to 28 on both front and rear, if you like the 28?
Old 03-15-19, 04:23 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I've often done that, mainly when I have 1 of each and I think the greater width and lower pressure gives better grip on looser stuff which I prefer on the front as opposed to the rear. But what really is the advantage as opposed to 28 on both front and rear, if you like the 28?
probably no advantage. just thinking about trying 28mm to see if the vibration is cut off the front end some, the rear is not the problem. if 28mm works in front, then the rear will wear out in time and need changing. good time to change to 28mm.

this would also be a good time to try different brands on the front without changing tires on the whole bike which may be disappointing.

at the moment i have quite a few 25mm tires on the shelf so really don't need tires, been hoping to tame my road bike vibrations some. 28mm may just do it. no doubt many here have a few skinny tires on the shelf, so how to make the best of it perhaps is to experiment with the steering a bit.

Last edited by Duo; 03-15-19 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
What's the question?
Old 03-16-19, 02:29 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo

Yes. This has been done and is done. On most road bikes handling is improved. Whenever pointed downhill, or when braking hard, or even when cornering, weight is transferred to front. Having more rubber on road in front equals a better steering bike. Whenever a bike has two different size tires the big one goes in front.

Of course you get all these benefits and saddle comfort too if you put a matching big one in back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.