Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Torque Wrench Should it Be Calibrated

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 05:33 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I ordered a ProBike Torque Wrench from Amazon - it had a ton of good reviews and was less than 60 bucks. It is a 2-20 Newton Meter range. It is supposed to be calibrated to 4-6% variance from the factory. I know you can can torque wrenches calibrated and certified for around $50. But that seems like a lot to spend on a new tool. Have you guys had your torque wrenches calibrated or did you just trust the factory setting? I want something to use on my carbon forks and such.
Old 04-04-19, 05:35 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Trust the factory and find something else to worry about. Roger
Old 04-04-19, 05:39 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I have several and if they're all in the same proximity when torquing something I call it good. If you don't leave tension on it when stored, (IE: set it to zero when not in use) it probably won't go out of calibration unless you abuse it or drop it or something along those lines. More than likely you should be good to go from the factory. If you're concerned, see if you can compare the setting to a friend's or the LBS might be able to help. I would go with it as is, but that's just me.
Old 04-04-19, 05:50 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Or spend $20 on a beam torque wrench which tend not to go out of calibration and compare them every once in awhile.
Old 04-04-19, 06:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Or spend $20 on a beam torque wrench which tend not to go out of calibration and compare them every once in awhile.
And which you can calibrate yourself.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-05-19, 02:00 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
It is a good idea to periodically check a torque wrench. Even for bicycle use cheap wrenches like Harbour Freight must be calibrated, just ask a neighbor who gouged a seat tube tightening a FD. Calibration services are expensive as they check the intervals where values can vary and give you the error curve for the upper and lower extremes where all torque wrenches I have used vary. You can DIY calibrate your wrench pretty easily for a quick check if you have a bench vise, You Tube videos show examples.
Old 04-05-19, 02:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1/4" or 3/8" ?

If you bought Snap On or others that Pro mechanics use and pay extra for (and sponsor NASCAR)

they have a recalibration service .

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-05-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 02:52 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I made a calibration bar pretty much for the fun of it.
But actually using it has gotten pretty darn boring.
I’m sure it’s possible misuse a torque wrench until it goes way off, but mine seems to stay true enough.
Old 04-05-19, 03:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Keep in mind that calibration does not change how the device measures or make it more accurate. Calibration only tells you about the device's accuracy and precision (repeatability). It is then up to you to determine if the device is suitable for the job or not. Some devices are adjustable or can be repaired so that they are more accurate and repeatable but that's not what calibration is.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
And which you can calibrate yourself.
What most people consider calibration of a beam type torque wrench is actually re-zeroing. It does not tell you how accurate the device is at any point other than zero.

-Tim-
Old 04-05-19, 03:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Over tightening nuts and bolts is probably the biggest mistake most people make. So if you aren't ham handed with a regular wrench then you really don't even need a torque wrench on a bike. I've rarely ever used one on my bike, the few times I did proved that I was pretty good at sensing the right amount intuitively.

The one exception I might give for that is for carbon seat tubes. Though I don't have any experience with them, it seems from reading posts and articles that they have a narrow margin from being tight enough to not slip and being too tight and destroyed.
Old 04-06-19, 04:33 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Tbh, i dont think its necessary. No matter how bad it it, its still vastly better than no torque wrench (guessing). If you insist you can DIY calibrate. Youtube is you friend, but it not that hard once you figure out what "torque" is. Then you can also improvise you own ect.
Old 04-06-19, 05:06 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTrax
I ordered a ProBike Torque Wrench from Amazon - it had a ton of good reviews and was less than 60 bucks. It is a 2-20 Newton Meter range. It is supposed to be calibrated to 4-6% variance from the factory. I know you can can torque wrenches calibrated and certified for around $50. But that seems like a lot to spend on a new tool. Have you guys had your torque wrenches calibrated or did you just trust the factory setting? I want something to use on my carbon forks and such.
The only bike component that I am careful with re: torque is the expanding plug for a carbon steerer tube. I did use my cheap torque wrench for this job but the prescribed torque value is pretty low and can be eyeballed.

Just remember to exercise the wrench (from low to high) prior to each use and turn it back to zero before storing. (at least that's what the instructions on my Harbor Freight wrenches indicate). Also, I wouldn't use the wrench for a job that requires it to be near its maximum or minimum value - get the next size wrench up or down. A 1/4" wrench and a 3/8" wrench should give you the range you need for bike work.
Old 04-06-19, 07:49 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
With most bottom brackets now being press-in, the only item I use a torque wrench on is the cassette lock ring.

I don't use expanding plugs in my carbon steering tubes. I take a 1" star nut and grind a very small amount off the diameter, so it slips into a 1-1/8" steering tube and fill the whole top portion of the tube, where the stem clamps, with epoxy. It will never slip and the tube won't be crushed by the stem clamp.

I've used carbon forks, frames and bars since they first came out and never damaged anything by over tightening.