Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Sliding on saddle

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Sliding on saddle

Old 05-28-19, 05:13 PM
treborH

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sliding on saddle

hi,

I just got a new bike - Specialized Sirrus. I went on my first ride today and it seems like I'm slipping forward on the saddle. Does this indicate some fitting issue other than the saddle or is it simply the saddle is misaligned. Is there a methodology for adjusting it ? Cant post a pic yet.
Old 05-28-19, 05:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The first thing it indicates is that it probably isn't level. Some saddles have a bit of swoop that makes them look tipped up when they're level, or conversely look level when they're actually tipped down.
Old 05-28-19, 05:38 PM
treborH

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What about if its just I'm not in shape and my arms and shoulders aren't supporting me the way they should. I've titled saddles up before and the taint wasn't happy so I'm hesitant. How does one go about adjusting the tilt? I've done it but it was years ago. There doesn't seem to be any way to fine tune it. Looks to have two screws, one in front of the seat post and one to the rear. How can you make incremental changes with this configuration?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-19, 02:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Arm and shoulder strength could be an issue, but with a good fit, they should be guiding more than supporting. With the two-bolt fore and aft configuration you need to loosen the front bolt half a turn, tighten the rear bolt half a turn, loosen the front, tighten the rear, and so on. I use a carpenter's level but you can also use a smart phone if you take a book or something similar that will cover the whole saddle front to back.
Old 05-29-19, 03:07 PM
treborH

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ha, i wish i would have known about the alternative loosening and tightening before i started playing with it. The good news is that I figured it out. I also moved the seat forward a little because i thought might be too much. Then I just read that neck and shoulder soreness could be caused by saddle too far forward....I'll see what happens on my ride this afternoon.

Originally Posted by caloso
Arm and shoulder strength could be an issue, but with a good fit, they should be guiding more than supporting. With the two-bolt fore and aft configuration you need to loosen the front bolt half a turn, tighten the rear bolt half a turn, loosen the front, tighten the rear, and so on. I use a carpenter's level but you can also use a smart phone if you take a book or something similar that will cover the whole saddle front to back.